Notices

Hello....I have the hangover from hell, and I'm scared :-(

Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

OP, it can be scary but it's just alcohol and you can always go back to drinking if you want to. Stopping now will help your body to recover from the abuse you have done to it. See a doctor and get a blood test to make sure you don't have any long term problems. Better off caught it early then too late. Give it sometime with the hangover.

All hangovers are a b!tch.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

another alcoholic who is afraid of the white coat. i was terrified of what i might have done to my liver, and other organs. i had convinced myself i had done lasting damage. i was on day 5 and i still felt terrible. stomach pains like you and a myriad of other symptoms. i drank quite heavily on a daily basis for over a year. i woke up in a panic attack on day 6 and decided i was going to the hospital. for me, just the act of being there and waiting for the doctor relieved my anxiety about the whole thing completely. it was a scary step, but once i made a decision and took it i felt so much better. by the end of the day the doc looked me over physically and did a full panel blood test, to my shock everything was normal. two days later i started to feel much better and most of my symptoms went away. i am convinced now that i felt so horrible because my body was punishing me for putting all that crap through it for so long, but also my irrational fears about my health just compounded the whole thing.

push through the fear, go to the doc, be honest and leave with some solid info to start building a recovery plan around. we've all been there, we know how you feel and support you.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good morning all

I took today off work so I could 're-group'. I always struggle with the come down the day after the hangover.

I've made an appointment with my Therapist (next Monday) and an appointment with the Docs. Sadly that's another two weeks away, as he's on holiday right now, but that's OK. At least I'm going for a full check up with bloods etc.

Small steps. I'm feeling positive I can do this now.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Were you able to have a sober evening? drink fluids and try to eat well. you're probably dehydrated.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Were you able to have a sober evening? drink fluids and try to eat well. you're probably dehydrated.
Yes Fandy, thanks. I don't normally drink during the week anyway, so this is nothing 'new' for me yet. The only thing that has changed is that I'm on here talking about it all, and I've made the appointments to get myself some help, medical and psychological.

Just calling the doctor was hard. But I do feel uplifted now I have that appointment.

I'm drinking lots of mineral water. I've bought myself a lamb steak for dinner.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

You're doing great!!! feel free to join us on any of the threads.....i find whining expecially therapeutic down in the cafe area. (it is light talk and complaining about anything that bothers you)
Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emjay40 View Post
I took today off work so I could 're-group'. I always struggle with the come down the day after the hangover.
Good call! I had to take a week off unpaid to get through my withdrawals and it was worth it big time! Now I'm back and working A LOT more efficiently! Take it an hour at a time if you have to... each hour you go without drinking is like money in the bank. If you can take time off now is a good time to do it.