SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Looked in the mirror and liked what I saw (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/251302-looked-mirror-liked-what-i-saw.html)

Holly7 03-11-2012 07:14 PM

Looked in the mirror and liked what I saw

I have been sober for 6 days now. I'm doing ok. Trying to keep my mind on one day at a time has been the hardest thing so far. Today was the first day I looked in the mirror and I liked what was looking back at me. My face looked healthy and it was glowing. I haven't seen that for a long time. I decided to celebrate my glowiness by not wearing make up for the day and it felt great. For the longest time I have been hiding behind this mask and today I felt free. I felt like the world was seeing the real me for the first time. Great feeling. Just wanted to share.

jobei 03-11-2012 07:16 PM

Sounds good Holly7 keep it up!!!

Hevyn 03-11-2012 07:18 PM

I'm happy for you Holly. It'll keep getting better.

jocata 03-11-2012 07:30 PM

Glad you are doing so well Holly! It does keep getting better and better!

God bless.

2granddaughters 03-11-2012 07:49 PM

Are you going to AA meetings, Holly ?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R

debsam 03-11-2012 08:05 PM

Awesome Holly! :)

I totally get that. It really is very freeing. I remember my skin just getting better and better - no longer poisoning my self.

Holly7 03-11-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters (Post 3317052)
Are you going to AA meetings, Holly ?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R

I went to one AA meeting and decided it wasn't for me, but I am open to going back at some point. I am currently working one on one with my therapist and using this forum a lot. It is really helping me. I am going to ask my therapist about alcohol councellors when I see her on tuesday. I think that will give me the tools I need to work with.

eh1988 03-11-2012 09:27 PM

Definitely a great feeling to see yourself coming back to life. I've noticed my face has a different glow to it as well, my eyes are no longer red and tired looking, I don't have bags under my eyes. I've already lost 5 pounds too:) Keep up the good work Holly, you are almost to a full week!:)

albatulipan 03-12-2012 03:18 AM

good for you! Same with me, no more puffy red eyes and dark circles. Yesterday I was able to fit in my skinny jeans, no more beer belly! I know this are little things, but, whatever helps me stay sober....

BillyPilgrim 03-12-2012 03:19 AM

Lovely story Holly, made me smile with happiness

JohnnyDetox 03-12-2012 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by albatulipan (Post 3317264)
good for you! Same with me, no more puffy red eyes and dark circles. Yesterday I was able to fit in my skinny jeans, no more beer belly! I know this are little things, but, whatever helps me stay sober....

It's all about the little things.

Jeans 03-12-2012 04:23 AM

Keep picking out the positive things in life, it's great to discover how much better we all are without alcohol. I love threads like this well done :)