Notices

when should i look into getting a sponsor?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

when should i look into getting a sponsor?

I've only been to 3 meetings. I'm doing 90 in 90. I feel like i'm just getting my feet wet right now and am starting to get the gist of how meetings are run. When should i look into getting a temporary sponsor? I've got a couple of numbers and one of the ladies told me to call her anytime and we could do something together be it a meeting or just talk. She has a couple of years of sobriety under her belt and was the person the head of the meeting recommended talk to me one on one during the second half of the meeting. Should i approach her about being my temporary sponsor or should i lay back and keep getting comfortable with the meetings? What do y'all think?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the foundation of my recovery [i have 16 yrs clean/sober] was: going to meetings, getting a sponsor, and working the steps.

I did so very soon after my first few meetings. I have sponsored guys who did that as well. Some of them now have double digit years in recovery....
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Thanks macknacat!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I would get a sponsor (permanent) right now!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I learned the total program of AA in the meetings by talking with people before and after the meetings in person, then practicing what was suggested, in person, for true accountability.

Enjoy your sober journey~
Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had mine after my second meeting in my homegroup...I'd gone to 5 meetings while in rehab before that.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was lucky enough to meet my sponsor at the first meeting I went to, he's been awesome and I couldn't have gotten this far without him. I don't think it's ever too soon to get a sponsor.

Sober since 6/13/11
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

A sponsor is essential. I am on my fourth, but the guy I'm with now is a keeper.

He's like my best friend, a schoolteacher, a boss, a Mum, a Dad, a Brother all rolled into one. He always says the right thing and has become someone very important in my life.

He knows me inside out and nothing I have ever said has shocked him.

If you can find the right person you're golden...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'll call the call that gave me her number and ask if she'll be either my temp or permanent sponsor. Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Don't wait too long, I waited a month and I drove myself insane in the process. Lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I got a temporary sponsor today (Monday). She has the first name as me, lol. So far i like her a lot and look forward to sharing my journey with her.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I got a temporary sponsor today (Monday). She has the first name as me, lol. So far i like her a lot and look forward to sharing my journey with her.
Awesome!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Now!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Grits..... best place for "AA questions" would be in the area of the forum where most of the AA folks hang out: Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

As for when to ask, it seems you got your answer all on your own....... Interesting how it works out like that, huh?

Sponsorship is important but....but it's also important to get a "good" sponsor even if that takes a week or two vs snagging someone right this second who's a dope. There are good and bad ways to go about it though, that's for sure.

......looking forward to hearing about your journeys.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread as I have been wondering the same thing. I have about 6 or 7 numbers from ladies from different meetings I have been too so far and there are a couple in there I could see being my sponsor.

I don't really have a 'home' group as yet - sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you determine which is your home group? And is there a protocol for getting a sponsor? I don't want to upset anyone or whatever.

I have been working steps 1 - 3 by sharing at meetings, so that's good, but I do have questions about the other steps and would love to have a sponsor to help me. I have been to 7 meetings so far in 11 days (can't quite manage a meeting a day due to family etc, but going to as many as I can).
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DayTrader - just saw what your wrote - I will go and post my questions over there - thanks!!