Notices

Bleh.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Bleh.

I have been using xanax to escape from reality for the last ten years. I now have found myself in a situation where there's no other option than abstinence; and I'm certainly ready. I have been sober four 4 days, and I feel like **** every day. I am tired all the time, moody, and erratically emotional. I hate everyone, and the only things that makes me happy these days is sleeping and eating. I know that this is part of the process of becoming sober, but it's a rigid, grueling process. I hope all who understands this has their moments of feeling 'normal' --because I know how important it is to feel like yourself. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there January, welcome to SR. This is a great community of support. You will find that you are not alone.

I know exactly how you feel. I was addicted to xanax for awhile. The first week or so is really tough. Anxiety and depression were horrible. Insomnia, nausea, irritability, headaches. Hang in there, it will get better.

Lots of water, exercise, nutrition, hot showere or baths. This helped me.

Keep posting and reading. This site saved my life.

God bless.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also, if the withdrawals get too bad, get to the ER. Withdrawing from xanax can be very dangerous.

Hang in there.

God bless.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome, January. I'm done with the physical withdrawls from alcohol but the emotional ones last for a while. I have hollared and screamed at my husband twice in 2 days. It's ok. We all go through this. Hang in there and know you are not alone.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey January

Did you speak to your doctor before cold turkeying off the Xanax? I am just asking as Xanax is a benzodiazepine, and it is usually recommended that you taper off it slowly. The alternative can be long lasting and seriously unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

I have just started tapering off Ativan and Kinax (Xanax equivalent) by reducing only 1% of my dose per day.

I am no expert, but just a word of warning. It is always better to err on the side of caution in my opinion.

Good luck, and perhaps have a chat to your doctor.

Smiley

Last edited by Dee74; 03-12-2012 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Forum link
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Januaryallyear

I have no experience with those drugs but all I've read here at SR since 2007 suggests that having a Dr involved is a really good idea

You might also find our substance abuse forum helpful:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You'll find a lot of support here
D