Notices

Tired and can't sleep

Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
laz

Tired and can't sleep

Hi,
I've been sobre since tuesday 28th feb. That's five days sobre after about a month long binge drink. I feel better, I can eat now, except for my sleeping which is still very bad.

I'm not asking for medical advice; but is it unusual to have sleep problems still after nearly a week? I thought I'd be ok by now.

I have spoken to my doctor about my binge drinking problems but I didn't specifically ask her about sleep.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Laz...I'd ask her about sleep...It took me awhile to get anywhere close to normal sleep...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Yes, it's quite common. I had sleep problems for many weeks after getting sober. I think it varies by person though, I've heard others say that their sleep patterns improved sooner. I am a bit of a night owl as it is though, so I really have to force myself to go to bed earlier than I'd like to each night.

Hang in there, I'm sure it will get much better soon.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It might have had something to do with that I never really slept...I passed out...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
laz

When I drank heavily I had that same feeling of being switched off at night and being switched back on in the morning - usually too early.

And I'm also a bit of a night owl so even when I'm not drinking I tend to stay up late.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on day four and last night was the worst I didnt fall asleep untill 6:45 I had restless legs . I am awake now ..woke up at 10'00. Hope to have a better night tonight. I was reading last night or this morning that magnesium helps.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

I still have trouble sleeping after over 6 months sober. I can sleep, but at the wrong time of the day (ie. I feel knackered at 5-6pm, but will only nap for a couple of hours) But even if I don't nap, at 10-11pm when Im supposed to sleep... Im wide awake! The more I try to sleep, the more frustrated I get with myself and that makes me more awake! Im going to get some relaxation CDs and audio books soon to see if that helps!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was a drunk I always passed out & then woke up a couple hours later with a pounding heart & major confusion. I usually only slept 3-4 hours a night then.

It took some time but over the past year my sleep has gotten much better & most of it is due to being sober a lengthy time. I also made myself a before bed routine that helps. Always take a bath or shower before bed, make sure I'm not hungry, & I got a little noise machine ( I play the ocean sound). Always make sure my bed is made & change bedding regularily. Those are just a few things that help me to sleep better.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
laz

Have you found exercise to help?

I was thinking going for a jog in the evening before bed might help. I'm not really a runner actually so maybe a walk would be a better idea. As it is I stay up late watching films and TV which I don't think is going to help to relax.

I think I want to avoid medication anyway because I have an addictive nature and very little willpower when it comes to that.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Something I have used for several years, on nights I wasn't drinking is Melatonin. It does not have a sedative effect and doesn't leave you feeling groggy the next morning. It is something your brain produces naturally when you sleep.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laz View Post
Have you found exercise to help?

I was thinking going for a jog in the evening before bed might help. I'm not really a runner actually so maybe a walk would be a better idea. As it is I stay up late watching films and TV which I don't think is going to help to relax.

I think I want to avoid medication anyway because I have an addictive nature and very little willpower when it comes to that.
Exercise is a good idea. I walk at least 4 miles a day with my doggies & I think that helps with the sleep too. I agree with you about sleep medication, but to each their own regarding prescriptions!