Notices

3/9/12

Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3/9/12

Hey guys I am so glad I found this website. Ive been drinking since I was 18 and heavily drinking in college and the past 5 years, I'm 25. I went in for a physical and had the shock of my life, i'm 25 with high blood pressure, finding that out has made me stop drinking. I'm glad there is somewhere I can get support thanks all!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! don't feel too bad about the high BP, I think all of us here had high BP while they were drinking. I'm only 23 and I've had high BP (140/80) since I was 21. My doctor ran a bunch of tests and couldn't find anything wrong, I'm only about 5-10 pounds over my recommended weight, and then she asked me if I drink....I said yea and that pretty much explains it all lol. It's good that you're stopping now before you start to develop heart disease.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ya I've known I've needed to stop for a while but just never had a reason to. This was definitely a wake up call for sure I'm just hoping withdrawals arnt to bad, Ive stopped before and didn't have a problem we will see.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

gatorbait,

Welcome to SR! I love it when I read a post from someone as young as yourself that is already doing something about problem drinking. You can save yourself a lot of problems by staying in the frame of mind that you are in right now. Go for it!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Gatorbait))) - Welcome to SR! Not sure how much or often you've been drinking, but did you tell your dr. about it? The reason I ask, is alcohol withdrawal can be serious, even fatal. Usually, your blood pressure will go up during withdrawals.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery, and I'm glad you're here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome gatorbait! So glad you found us. I agree with Sissy - great to see someone in their 20's seeing the light. If I could go back, I'd save myself so much misery.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Gatorbait))) - Welcome to SR! Not sure how much or often you've been drinking, but did you tell your dr. about it? The reason I ask, is alcohol withdrawal can be serious, even fatal. Usually, your blood pressure will go up during withdrawals.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery, and I'm glad you're here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
No I did not tell my Doctor its something only I know about and I'm very ashamed of it, I guess I'm a closet drinker.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to using this as a tool, in my recovery
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

It's always great to see a someone fresh in!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

gatorbait1919, alcoholics are rarely honest with their doctor, then we want to talk about how they didn't help us. Please get honest with the doctor. Detox can be deadly. If your blood pressure is already high, you better let your doctor know about your detoxing.
Doctors are paid to look at our bodies, without full disclosure, they are often stumped!

Eh1988, I'm 50. My blood pressure, even in the height of my drinking, was very normal and healthy (?). My medical records have indicated "alcoholism" since I was 25. Everyone is different.

Welcome to SR, gatorbait!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! If you stop drinking, at your age there is a pretty good chance your blood pressure will return to normal in a month or two. If not, diet, exercise and, if necessary, medication can usually take care of it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey GB, Welcome!! I'm 5 days sober and I'm 27 years old, I haven't gone to my doctor yet. Actually don't even have a doctor. My withdraw symtoms have been minor and I consider myself very lucky. Everyone is different though. Be careful. Good luck with your recovery!!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey GB, Welcome!! I'm 5 days sober and I'm 27 years old, I haven't gone to my doctor yet. Actually don't even have a doctor. My withdraw symtoms have been minor and I consider myself very lucky. Everyone is different though. Be careful. Good luck with your recovery!!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Donaleam

Hi I'm Dona and new to this recovery forum. I am hoping to use this as one of my tool's for recovery/sobriety. I am 53 years old and struggling with relapses. I was in treatment in January for 29 days, went home on day 30 and got 30 day chip. On day 31 I relapsed...picked myself up and tried again...10 days and relapse...5 days relapse and now again day 2. I go to AA meetings, share, read in the BB and just recently found a sponsor...but I struggle to pick up that 500 lb. phone when the craving/obsession overcomes my mind - the insanity comes back and before I know it heading to the liquor store when I truly don't want to drink, but still do. I have 2 sons who were happy I went to treatment, but now see that I have fallen so many times and have lost faith in me. I truly want sobriety and know in my heart it is one minute at a time and to truly starting having faith in my HP. I'm just wondering how many of you ought there struggled to finally stay sober.....lost in Wyoming.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Gator and Dona!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Welcome to SR! If you stop drinking, at your age there is a pretty good chance your blood pressure will return to normal in a month or two. If not, diet, exercise and, if necessary, medication can usually take care of it.
I am not a doctor, but mostly agree with zebra. I just can't predict the future.

I do know that blood pressure rises during detox, making your situation serious.

See a doctor.

Peace,
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ya my symptoms aren't bad at all ...yet. But Ive got a doctor I can go to. Thanks guys i really appreciate all the support
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm 26ish, I also got a crazy high blood pressure reading when I was at the doctor a few months ago for my yearly check up. The blood test results came back with elavated liver enzymes too. I pretty much did what you did - didn't fess up and pretend I didn't know why my results were so out of wack. Something tells me my doctor knew exactly what was up. I am looking forward to going back this year and seeing some drastic changes if I stay sober. Good luck to you bud.