Notices

Struggling!!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling!!

Hi, I will be 6 weeks sober on Sunday if I can make it, I'm really craving some booze now its the weekend, keep thinking if i have manners this time and control my intake things will be ok. I have been getting it ok till lately wheres now i'm thinking how can I stay off it for rest of my life!! I always only ever get to around 8 weeks max, then go bk on it easy, but it builds and i end up goin on week binge, then i'll be so sick i'll stay off and so the circle goes. I've been tryin the AVRT and it makes sense, only went few AA meetings, but thought they not for me, I could not get past 1st step of admitting i was powerless over it, I rather take a thick stance with it and say I have power over it. I dont even know if i'm full alco but i def a heavy drinker times. I dont see it as a disease cause i see disease as something ive no control over where drinking I can say, not today. But then i'm finding it hard to say that today lol. I dont see it a problem if its only now and then, oh i dont know. sorry for the ramble
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No apologies. We've all been there. You cant admit you're powerless yet how much of your mind & time has been spent lately arguing back & forth about alcohol? If it has no control, then it shouldn't be a problem. But you know ONCE you start, you can not stop. There is the powerlessness.
Yes you can not ever start BUT you struggle to NOT START. Again powerless.

I use a little of both AA ideas & AVRT. I am powerless over alcohol, therefore I will NEVER drink again.
Problem solved for me. But that's me & I'm weird

Stay strong. Don't give in. You've got too much time invested. Don't let an inanimate object make you miserable. Don't drink for today, tomorrow you may not want to.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Glad that we are still sober today upon awakening ehhh.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Keep up that winning streak. You can do it. We all can.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah mayb i am powerless pcl, as have been spending a lot of time arging bk and forth,
yeah i know wat u mean by using ideas from both, oh hi ive a lot respect for AA they have some graet ideas, 1 day at a time really helped me at the start.

Yes chance i felt great this mornin, I can see wat u mean, i'll prob feel ten times better marra mornin if i pass tonite.

thanx
Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cravings will pass. You can entertain thoughts & they'll grow bigger. Or you can starve them by not giving them any room in your head. Distract yourself. Read a book, pray, play a video game, watch a movie, exercise, go thru an old photo album, wrote out 10 reasons why you quit drinking. There's plenty to do. Whatever it takes, to ride out the wave & silence the voice.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thoughts give birth to plans, which give birth to actions, which give birth to defeat.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't know what time it is there, but here's AA's link. Call and find a meeting so you aren't alone, maybe they are doing some kind of sober event....

Alcoholics Anonymous - Home
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanx Pcl, writing down 10 reasons was good idea, I'll just fight the beast this evenin
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA will be there for you if you have to "surrender" the fight.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

AVRT is great, it really cuts through all the nonsense and gets right to the point - are you ever gonging to drink or quit forever.

Don't worry about AA being right for you or not. A great many people quit drinking and go on to live content life's AA or not. As no one one single recovery method is appropriate for everyone. When I discovered what works for me, amazing changes started to happen.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Feel much better now, will not be drinking tonite

Only for SR i'd prob have half a bt of plonk in me by now
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it seanie1888 and good work my friend! Think of all the money you saved by not drinking?! I put a glass jar in my room and I've been putting the average amount of money I spent on booze in it each day. It's growing so fast it's scary and a real eye opener. Keep up the work!!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fight it. Stay vigilant.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Seanie,
I fight those cravings every Friday too. I just think how great my Saturday morning will be if I wake up with no hangover. I hate Friday evenings now haha
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Diana
I don't mean to sound dumb but what is AVRT?
DIANA
Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Up 7am Sat morning bright as a button, thank God I did not give into it last nite.
Than SR.

Hi Diana. I'm only new to it myself and found out about it here, I got the book but only first chapter read.
It's basically bein able to control and tell that wee voice in ur head who tells u a drink would be nice and u deserve one to shut the f*** up. It's pretty neat tool from wat I can gather, it seems to have helped a lot of people on here.
There are some good threads on it in the forum and also on web, Google it and do the crash course on it from its website.

Happy sober weekend all
Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I dont see it a problem if its only now and then
Been there in that cycle/mindset, get one or two months, back on a binge. It did me no good really, in fact messed me around a great deal mentally, those relapses did harm. Better for yourself in the long term and for your recovery if you can avoid it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by seanie1888 View Post
I've been tryin the AVRT and it makes sense...
Seanie,

Once you finish reading the Rational Recovery book, read through the entire AVRT thread in the secular connections forum. We covered some nuances that people often miss the first time around. Feel free to post any questions you may have on that thread. I can't really remember what it was like in the beginning anymore, so I find it difficult sometimes to anticipate questions 'newbies' may have, but if people post questions, it usually gets the wheels turning, and I can clarify certain things. Your questions may also help others.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by perea3 View Post
I don't mean to sound dumb but what is AVRT?
AVRT, which stands for Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, is the method of Rational Recovery. AVRT is the lore, or wisdom, of independent recovery from substance addiction in an educational format. It is essentially a paradigm that describes how people naturally recover from addiction, without the use of addiction treatment or recovery groups. There is an active thread on it in the secular connections forum.