Notices

Gave in to the fact....

Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Gave in to the fact....

that I could NOT control /stop my drinking alone. I was in this group several months ago (different log in name)and made it a month sober...and then.........well you all know the deal.
Well,I finally made the decision to be 100% honest with my dr and he put me on librium so Ive had ZERO anxiety or withdraw feelings as of yet...since the 6th. ....He only prescribed 2 weeks worth 3 times a day but Ive only needed it twice a day and been fine..so good sign right?? ..Ive been diagnosed with ptsd and SEVERE anxiety a few years ago and I know I was self medicating for a few years or at least using that as my crutch to do so.....Dr also put me on Prozac ...Im new to that part so any comments on that would be appreciated...Im not one to pray but Ive found myself praying that this time I can maintain my strength and willpower.........ok thats my strait to point re-intro ...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

***he also referred em out to begin therapy next week..I guess thats a HUGE part as well
Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to see you haven't given up and you are addressing your anxiety problem.
all the best in recovery

CaiHong
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I'm not clear on how long you have now been sober...but I hope you are beginning to feel better.

Be well.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm only a couple... 3 days sober this time. Last week I "nursed some to ease anxiety while waiting to see the dr. in 4 years the longest I've made it sober is 3 months .. I'm really hoping finally seeking professional help this time makes this time work
Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi ksmaa,

i relate to your situation. i can't tell you about prozac but from my own experience as a bipolar (and still working on getting the right drug combo), alcohol really complicates things. i slipped again recently and what i know is that my pdoc can't really help me stabilize if booze is in the mix. so it's one of those cycles: you drink cuz you feel bad but then this messes with the meds that are meant to help you feel better, so you want to drink again. everyone i know who's got both an addiction problem and a mental health problem does a lot better when they stop drinking long enough to get the meds worked out. this then makes sobriety so much easier because you're not fighting fire with fire (an addictive chemical with a chemically unbalanced mind).

hope you find your way through this.... you're not alone.

Zorah
Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome back, sounds like progress
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope all that's an effective answer for you.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ksmaa View Post
Im not one to pray but Ive found myself praying that this time I can maintain my strength and willpower.........
Welcome back...I wasn't much of a praying man myself...Alcohol kind of brought me to my knees...Literally...I can only tell you about my willpower...It flat out sucked...It didn't work...Useless...I tried everything to quit and I finally gave in to AA...Made an honest attempt to get a sponsor..work the 12 steps and give it my all...My life depended on it...Guess what?...It worked. Now I pray in gratitude that I'm not the drinking basket case I was before...Basically...Just drinking to die....I don't know if AA is your cup of tea or not....I can only tell you it saved this hopeless alcoholics's life.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome back, and congrats on your rediscovered sobriety!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If your screen name stands for what I think it does...AWESOME!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Haha the screenname actually is just the first letter of myself,husband, and,daughters .. Even my Dr thinks (knowing me personally ) I wouldn't be the type to benefit from AA as others do. .(not saying it isnt great for those that do benefit from it). He is working with a mental health Dr to work out the best med combo and I'm doing therapy. . But as another poster mentioned , even my Dr said I have to remain sober and give the meds a fair chance to work before just assuming they won't and picking back up the bottle. The librium is extremely short term but it has been a miracle for me detoxing. I honestly feel zero withdraw right now and any other time I've detoxed was a nightmare. So my immediate struggle is ok .. It s the long term fight that I am still afraid of.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It s the long term fight that I am still afraid of.
If you and your doctor don't think AA is right for you...That's fine...There are other ways...Rational Recovery...SMART...Lifering...Have you looked into any of these?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

no ,I havent at all yet... I def. will now though.I know I HAVE to find a program to help as my guide through this...So I do welcome any and all ideas....Well except anything that is SOLEY religion based..Im just not ready for that yet.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

no ,I havent at all yet... I def. will now though.I know I HAVE to find a program to help as my guide through this...So I do welcome any and all ideas....Well except anything that is SOLEY religion based..Im just not ready for that yet.
You should look into them...AA is a spirtual program....Not religous....But that's another thread in itself....Actually...It is another thread in itself...
Old 03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sapling,I think one of the biggest issues with AA here,as my dr even agreed is I live in a city outside of Charlotte where EVERYONE knows EVERYONE..and having several friends who do attend aa here (different meetings) they all admit it turns into a gossip fest. With my job I can take the gamble of even one person breaking their promise and running out exploiting my business. ...I could go to Charlotte but with the hours I work and a family thats just not pratical at all for me....Dont get me wrong getting and remaining sober is HUGE in importance to me but I have to find something I can really commit to.....not to mention my anxiety,as of right now I couldnt dare sit in a room full and be honest.I def. need one on one help....or the ability to hide behind a computer I have opened up links to the programs you mentioned and am going to look into each of them.I certainly appreciate your help and advice .
Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot of reasons why people can't work the program of AA...It doesn't bother me...It worked for me and a lot of people I spent an hour with this morning...That's all I care about...I thank God I didn't have a doctor that would give me that advice whether he had been in the program or not...I'm just glad I went on my own...It saved my life. I can't ask for more than that. Hey...Try something else..Try a couple things...Try something...If you can't find something that works...At least you know it's there...I wish you the best...
Old 03-10-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Is your doctor a member of that AA group?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

It sounds like you have a good plan and I agree that therapy could be beneficial. What I know is, I had to make a lot of changes in my life in order to stay sober. I had to remove a few people from my life and change some activities. It wasn't easy, but I was going to lose everything if I didn't recover.

I know you can do this and I'm glad your dr is involved.