Notices

Trying to find myself

Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to find myself

Hi everyone, I don't know where to start. This forum is so huge and a bit overwhelming at first glance.

I guess I will let you all know a little bit about me and my situation.

I am a 28 year old male, who started drinking in 2006. I started drinking more than I should in 2007 and quite heavily since 2008. I never drank daily, but binge drank 3 to 4 times a week, often to the point of passing or blacking out. My drink of choice was was initially wine/liquor but I settled on mostly beer from 2008 on.

I lost both my mother and my fiance to cancer during this time period, and I am just now processing some of the grief. I started getting bad anxiety and depression in Dec 2010 and quit on Dec 21 2010. 10 days later I got hit with horrible anxiety and depression. I leveled out after about 2 months and decided in mid march 2011 I would try drinking again. Well the next morning I had some of the worst symptoms I had ever felt. That was the last drink I had.

Since then I have not drank anymore. I am currently struggling with anxiety and depression that comes and goes in waves (some months I feel almost fine). I am thinking that I am suffering from PAWs, along with dealing with suppressed emotions through which I have been seeking guidance.

My Summary
- Binge drinker for 4 years (3 to 4x a week)
- Free since March 2011

I would just like to know if there is anyone else suffering from PAWs, with anxiety and depression this far out (1 year).

Glad to be here.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been told that PAWS symptoms can last up to two years for some people. I believe I have gone through some PAWS myself. I can relate to the anxiety and depression. I had to seek treatment for that when I was about 2.5 months sober.

If it's not getting better, you may want to consider seeing a therapist.

God bless.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm sorry for the heartbreak you've had to endure. I'm proud of you that you were able to quit drinking after all of that. Not sure if I could. That shows how strong you are.
I read something that said, Depression isn't a sign of weakness, but a sign of being strong for too long.
I'm not sure if yours is PAWS or normal grief over your situation.
Have you sought advice from an addict counselor?

I hope you find what you're searching for.
Congrats on your sobriety time, that is very impressive.
Best wishes & I'll pray for you if that's okay. We all deserve peace, serenity, and contentment in life.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Get some help for your depression from a professional. You may also still be grieving your losses. I lost several people and it took over 3 years to feel different after that (I was still drinking through most of that time, though).

You haven't mentioned working any kind of program to help you, do you have a support system in place?

PAWS, if you do a search, can take 2 years. My rehab told us it takes one month for every year of drinking. Everyone is different.

Congratulations on 1 year of sobriety!