Notices
View Poll Results: Which is the true sobriety date?
8th - Last day taking a drink.
20.51%
9th - Last day with alcohol in my system.
29.49%
10th - No drinking, no alcohol in system.
17.95%
Doesn't matter, just pick a date.
32.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

The exact sobriety date???

Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

I'd say B personally. But there are no "rules" it's what date YOU wanna go with.

Wishing you loads of luck with sobriety
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was just wondering the same thing. My last drink was on Thursday evening around 8pm. I don't think I was sober until at the earliest 8pm on Saturday. It takes my body at least 48 hours to get rid of alcohol now.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

True AAers tell their time to show the newcomer it works
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
MINEr

Mine was after midnight on a Friday. I woke up that Saturday and checked myself into the ER. That Saturday is the day I count.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Although I had stopped for a few days then a few more had one beer etc for a few months I chose the day I got up and said in that small voice no more this is day 1.
I wish and hope never to again. I hope to be able to bring of some great number in the years to come on here but right now 9 is good .
Old 03-13-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful Alcoholic

The day I decided that I was finished, really finished. I had said that too many times to count but this time was different. It was kinda the same thing to me as breaking up with/leaving a long time lover who was no good for me.

This was also the last time I used.

I mentioned to my sponsor "hey, I have 4 months tomorrow" he said, "good, call everyone you know and thank them"

I see his point.

I just look at what I can do for my sobriety for today, trying to go on what I did yesterday doesn't seem to work for me.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Gr8ful4Life View Post

I mentioned to my sponsor "hey, I have 4 months tomorrow" he said, "good, call everyone you know and thank them"
Sounds like you've got a wise sponsor....

Hope you took his/her advice and made some of those calls too.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

First day I woke up and chose not to get drunk. After my last bender, I was probably still a little drunk for days.

Recovery is about choices for me, not blood chemistry.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Hey MB...Those benzos in detox don't count against your sobriety...No more than painkillers would for a broken back...The day after you put down your last drink works for me.

PS..I see you were already addicted to benzos and alcohol...What did they give you in detox??
Well, the first four or five trips the emergency room resulted in Valium intravenously and a few tabs to take home. Actually quelled the beast of benzo withdrawal a bit.

In the hospital it was again IV Valium and a host of other drugs, including low dosages of Seroquel.

Since I was prescribed 20 milligrams of Klonopin during my last years, a Valium taper wasn't in the cards, though it would have made the next six months a bit less horrid I suspect.

Oh, and those first three days of detox? I was unconscious! I keep forgetting what part of "It's a miracle you are alive" I don't understand.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If my Last drink was at 4am, then I guess next day is technically day one. But I think it's day one from the moment you decide enough I'd enough.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The moment you put the bottle down.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would say the first day that you did not drink. Day one. But does it really matter? What matters is being sober today. As said above, pick a date your conscience feels is right.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My vote is pick a date and stick with it.

For me personally, it was the first day I didn't drink. I finished what was left from a litre of wine Sunday and called Monday sober day 1.

I once read on here, weekend drinkers should count from the first weekend, so my quitting on a Monday wouldn't count my quit date should have been the following Friday. I say pound salt to that. I would occasionally have a drink during the week, once in a blue moon I would drink more than one or two during the week, but I cannot work with a hangover and haven't called off sick in years. So i white knuckled through the week and was occasionally tortured by a glass of wine at lunch or a drink at night with friends. I Won't dismiss the 4 or 5 days to the weekend. That first week was the most important. I started laying groundwork for the rest of my recovery.

At the end of the Day, you get sober for yourself and your main accountability is yo yourself. So pick a Day, whatever feels right to you and stick to it.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think the fact that this thread managed to go 6 years without a post before being revived today tends to support my opinion on the topic: in the long run, it really doesn't matter.

There's a lot more to sobriety than the exact distance away from the last drink. I count milestone dates like everyone else, but my main focus is what I can do to build and maintain a rewarding sober life. The number of days sober isn't what defines my sobriety.

By the time you're counting sober time in years, quibbling over which exact day to count from seems pretty trivial.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Rar

I counted my sobriety as the date (and time) of my last drink.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I voted wrong, I voted 10th but I feel 9th is the date. The day you didn't put any drugs in your head is the first sober day imho.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Btw, thanks for this thread. It made me count again and realize that I'm not 8 but 9 months sober. And two days.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I had a half bottle of a really good Pinot Noir on 5/9/17 and checked into rehab that day, where they put me on a medically crucial valium taper. So I use May 9 as my sobriety date.

It doesn't matter much to me. I took booze off the table for good that day. Did I drink today? No? I'm good. I really don't track time other than my year milestone
Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Not today, maybe tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I used the first 24 hours that I didn't drink. Dose not really matter though as long as you quit. Pick a day around that time that is easy to remember if you need.