Notices

First Friday sober in a really long time!!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Friday sober in a really long time!!

I am 4 days sober and I'm feeling ok. Usually on a friday my husband and I get together with friends and have a few drinks--- well they do, I always had more than a few,( plus the bottle of wine that I had before we even met up with our friends). Usually on a friday I am rushing home so that I can down a bottle of wine before my husband comes home. Not today. Not again. I found myself taking my time driving home and not getting frustrated at every red light I hit (because it meant less drinking time). It was a nice feeling. Instead of drinking today I decided to make soup and it felt good to be doing something productive. I got to eat, which is something i rarely do on a friday because it interferred with my drinking. Today is a good day. Hope you are all doing well.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Nice post Holly, thanks, congratualtions!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Strange isn't it. I've had some cravings already. Good for you on day 4!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had a few cravings too, but not going to give into them. I'm too excited about waking up with a clear head tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Holly,
I used to race home after work too on a Friday. I could easily down a six-pack before my GF got home. Then I would pretend I hadn't been out to the liquor store yet and say I was going to buy some beer for the weekend haha. She always suspected I was cheating on her with all my sneaking around and evasiveness and I was, only with booze, not women.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. Sounds like you are in a good place right now. I know Fridays were really hard for me in the beginning-- they still are sometimes actually!! Good for you!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! I am 12 days sober and I look forward to waking up on a Saturday morning with a clear head. I'm in Helsinki, Finland right now, on a Fri. night... Vodka capital of the world (that was my drink) and I'm drinking sleepytime tea instead
Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OheemJah View Post
Good for you! I am 12 days sober and I look forward to waking up on a Saturday morning with a clear head. I'm in Helsinki, Finland right now, on a Fri. night... Vodka capital of the world (that was my drink) and I'm drinking sleepytime tea instead
I'm drinking tea too!!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
Hi Holly,
I used to race home after work too on a Friday. I could easily down a six-pack before my GF got home. Then I would pretend I hadn't been out to the liquor store yet and say I was going to buy some beer for the weekend haha. She always suspected I was cheating on her with all my sneaking around and evasiveness and I was, only with booze, not women.
No more cheating for the both of us
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Diana,
Good for you. I just started over almost 24hours now. It's hard but we belong to special group of people who can't drink. It's hard to realize that for me, I always think I should be able to do anything.
Good luck and God be with you
Diana
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Holly - glad you are making it through a Friday. I remember how strange it felt in the beginning. I was resentful at first to not be able to have "fun" on the weekend. (In the end, it was nothing more than getting foggy & stupid and not remembering where the time went.) It does get much easier every time you get over a hurdle like this. You'll feel stronger and better each day. Congrats on Day Four!!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm 5 days sober and this Friday thing is a little hard. I'm trying to keep in mind how much I want to be free of alcohol and how productive I can be tomorrow morning without a hangover!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job, Luvdogs. It won't feel like this forever - it gets less intense as you go along.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
I'm 5 days sober and this Friday thing is a little hard. I'm trying to keep in mind how much I want to be free of alcohol and how productive I can be tomorrow morning without a hangover!
Tell yourself anything you need to, to get through today. I am telling myself right now that it is thursday. lol. Seems to be working so far.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm kinda nervous about a wedding I will be attending tomorrow night and I know that the majority of people there will be drinking.

Guess if I survive that I really can kick this thing.....and I fully intend to!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I remember being excited for my first Saturday morning with no hangover.

I'm excited for you to feel that taste of freedom Holly

Friday nights were a big drinking night for me too - I don't even think about it now. You can do this
Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
I'm kinda nervous about a wedding I will be attending tomorrow night and I know that the majority of people there will be drinking.

Guess if I survive that I really can kick this thing.....and I fully intend to!
I have a wedding and bachlorette party i have to get through soon too. Trying to keep it out of my mind until the day arrives. Can you imagine how happy you will be when you get through tomorrow without a drink!!! You can do it! Let me know how you get on!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Holly - sounds like we are in the same boat. We are strong women and can do this!!

And yes, I will be so proud of myself
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Heading to bed soon. Got through Friday!!!! Yay!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first sober saturday. It is such a joy to know that this day that belongs to us will not be wrecked by the night before.

I appreciate your post. It helps me feel good about the "fun" I've been denying myself. I too used to try to keep people opening bottles of wine or maybe cook with a glass of wine (then drink the bottle) to get a head start. Ridiculous.

Hang in there. People say it gets easier. I'm going into day 21 and I think it just might.