Notices

Drunken job app. coming back to haunt me

Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Drunken job app. coming back to haunt me

I got a call from a recruiter today. Apparently, I had sent them my resume last year, probably during a late night boozing session. I have received messages from them before but I never returned their calls. Today I returned a call about a current opportunity and I did a quick phone interview. She asked me about my experience and apparently what I told her completely mismatched the dates on the resume she had. I just don't remember what I sent her, especially since I was most likely drunk when I typed that version of my resume. She still asked me to come in to her office for an in-person interview, however, there's no way to know what I claimed on my application. Could be very embarrassing.

Should I risk meeting her? or just move on?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've got nothing to lose by seeing her do you?

Depends whether you want to get the job or duck the possible embarrassment.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sup JB, from what I've learned from recruiters in this City is that they really don't care. As one told me "you are just the by-product of what I am selling to the Company". Go see her but its really just going to be a coaching on how to act at the actual interview with their "client". And thats if its even that far along, last year I met with 3 of them and only one of them was actually serious and sent me to the real interview, the other two I think just had me go in to make it look like they were seeing people to keep their bosses happy or something. (one guy said he had to work on finding a new contact within the company before he could do anything, and the other said the company had already hired someone through another agency right as I sat down..both of these could have been done easily over the phone, the 3rd guy was wearing jeans and a T-shirt when I showed up to coach me before I went to the real interview with the major company)

After that I am very wary of wasting my time with them anymore unless I am sure its viable. LOL one actually called me today, I'll talk to her on Monday and grab all the info I need over the phone before wasting an afternoon driving around downtown, paying for parking, blah blah to find out I wouldn't want the job anyway.

That said, they are trying to sell you to the hiring Company, so its not that important at the recruiter stage. They will iron out any kinks and then send you to the real meeting, and thats the one that matters.

Hope that helps
Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I would definitely go. You could always apologize and say that you inadvertently sent her a draft version of your resume.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So you typed it drunk but it prompted them to call you so it can't have been that bad. I second what's been said above: You've got nothing to lose!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you know, just be prepared to make some kind of funny joke about it if it comes up. try to diffuse it that way and roll with it.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd go for the interview, what have you go to lose. If you typed it drunk and messed up a coulple of dates you could go with the "first draft" of the resume' story.

If you gave yourself a PhD. during your drunk typing that might be a little harder to explain.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

We're pretty good at what we do. It couldn't be that bad or they wouldn't have called. At least you'll have practice....
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Except for the drunk part tell them exactly what you just wrote. You'll do fine.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Not that I'm telling you to lie, but one might hint that it was a really bad flu season and the medicine makes people groggy and disoriented and you are a tad fuzzy about what exactly is on the resume. Possibly if you could read it over and make sure that everything is accurate it would save you anymore embarrassment!