Notices

Here we go again...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again...

Hey everyone!

Need some opinions - or even reassurance.
I'm going to be going home for a few weeks (home is California) to regroup after a lot of things that have been going on in my life and drinking again. When I am at home I don't feel the need to drink which is word (but I'll save that for another post - can get long winded). Anyways!
I am going on my own.

Here is my problem.
The last time I went home was with the bf and I didn't drink during the entire trip as much as I wanted to because --- I am afraid to fly.
What is freaking me out even more is that I am going to be travelling alone. Not only will I miss the bf A LOT but flying alone and stuff? I mean...
I don't want to drink on the flight. I really don't...it's 5.5 hours...

I don't know. I always drank before when I flew (the last time tho as I said I had the bfs support and NO booze) and was wondering what can I do to minimize this intense anxiety.
I woke up at 2am (it's now almost 6) reading up on flying and whatnot.
A lot of people on the "fear of flying" forums resort to drinking to "take the edge off". I know that I can't.

Just needed some input.
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Using drink to deal with emotional challenges is a bad idea
Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Bayliss...Why don't you talk to your doctor about it....Tell her what you're doing..Tell her how you feel about flying...Maybe she can help you out...You know quitting drinking doesn't bring life to a stop...You're going to run across things that you used to solve with a drink....And new things that you'll want to....You have to know firmly in your mind what alcohol does to you....The results you get from it....Don't work at solving anything. You don't have to do this alone Bayliss...Get some kind of plan...You've been around long enough...You know what they are...Pick one and get busy working it....I'm glad the bf isn't going....Isn't he a heavy drinker?...Maybe I'm wrong.....Anyway....If you really want to stop for good....You're going to have to make that happen...I'd suggest you use the support available to help you..While doing it.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I won't be able to see my Doctor before I leave on my trip...I guess I will just have to deal with it.
Maybe will make an appointment upon my return and maybe do some CBT with regards to my irrational fear. Because that is all that it is.
The bf doesn't have a drinking problem like I do...and usually when we go on trips together we don't usually drink. I wish he were going with me. He's my rock. Alas, I have to make this trek on my own. I am going to visit family and will have some down time away from the drama that is going on in my current situation.

I never said I was going to drink on my flight.
I was just wondering if anyone was in the same situation before and how they coped with flying while being sober.
Thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess I had you confused with somebody else about the bf....You're just going to have to find the strength somewhere and get through it....I wish you the best Bayliss...Just be strong.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
I never said I was going to drink on my flight.
I was just wondering if anyone was in the same situation before and how they coped with flying while being sober.
Thanks guys.
Yes, I used to have a big time fear of flying. One time I made myself so sick with worry that I decided at the gate that I wasn't flying and then had to take a bus back to Denver from Chicago - missed a friend's funeral because I let my fear control me. I got over it this way: I realized that I didn't want to be that person who never gets to see stuff or go anywhere because of some dumb fear my mind created. F that! So, the first few times were kind of difficult. I didn't drink either. I took a couple of benadryl so I could sleep, did deep breathing as soon as I woke up that morning and reminded myself constantly why I was doing it, and why it was worth it. Deep breathing/affirmations all the way to the gate, boarded... and then you've done what you can, you're there, and you're on that trip. Bring something comfortable to wear, something to snuggle up with and your favorite book. Take off is the worst for me, so I count to 300 after the plane leaves the runway. For some reason that helps calm me down. Once take off it over, I'm usually so relieved that I fall asleep right away. Nothing feels like making it to your destination after you've conquered your fear. I know how hard it is, but it's so worth it, Bayliss!

I'm making a painting today with the words "fear is a liar" and I'll be thinking of you I know you can do it!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ask my HP to fly with me.... don't even have to get extra seat.

Got an mp3 player? Put some speaker talks on it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How about making a rockin' play list on your iPod and bringing some good books?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Bayliss...you should keep in mind that alcohol can affect people differently at 30,000 feet. I've seen people act far more intoxicated than you would think after just a few drinks on a plane. I myself have been cut off by flight attendants then actually made use of the 'sick bag' haha. Very embarassing.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I would totally get some AWESOME reading material and escape thru books during the flight.