Notices

I went to an AA meeting

Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting

I came home and my wife who has been supportive, has been giving me dirty looks and is making me feel disgusted with myself. She is upset because she wanted to take our son to a movie but now it is to late, She wont really talk to me and like I said gives me unearthly glares.

The meeting was very overwhelming but I did meet someone there who is willing to sponsor me which is the first time ever. He asked me to write down everytime I have felt powerless due to alchoal which is an exausting and daunting task in my head. he also asked me to read the first three chapters than give him a call

My nerves are still very unsettled and I brought up in the group the whole pot thing and everyone there said that is still a mind altering drug and as you all said stay away from it.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you...Why was it overwhelming?...Just curious...Yeah...Everytime I've been powerless over alcohol??...Not sure I could do that...Not sure how many I even remember....You might want to start a little routine in your life...Set a certain time everyday to write...Maybe come up with 5 or 10 a day...Than have a certain time to read...Do a chapter a day....Pick a certain meeting you like and go to that one every day if you can....My sponsor suggested that to me....I was all over the map and my life was definitely lacking any structure....It helped me...Don't set your expectations to high for yourself...Make a schedule that you can accomplish what's on it...Give yourself credit when you get things done...Sorry to hear about the wife...It's your second day sober and you went to a meeting and got a sponsor....You should be proud of yourself...Just don't let that get to you. Just try to be a good sober husband.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad that you got to your meeting.

It's hard balancing things in early sobriety and it's not surprising that, while your wife supports your recovery, she still wants a normal family life.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good for you, you really aren't wasting any time!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

its 1030 as I am sleeping shaking and sweating my wife is banging things around picking up I asked her to be quite she wasnt watching the television so i turned it off, now she is wanting to scream at me how I spent no time with her I am really feeling crappy about this whole thing I really want a drink I was on here because she was talking about pot all day so I asked you guys and now she is saying I pretty much am a ****** person I really need a drink
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A drink is not going to make anything better i promise!!! Stay strong. I'm sorry you are going through this.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Has your wife considered going to Al-Anon? It can be really difficult for a close family member to understand what you're going through and how to cope. She needs to learn how to deal with living with an alcoholic. It's not your fault. You're not guilty. You're suffering and so is she. You're dealing with your problem and she neads to learn how to deal with hers. When we suffer our families suffer.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know if she would by into anything right now and she is to upset to talk to
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

okay sapling i will try to not let it bother me, its hard i am extra irritable and i think i am kind of being selfish at the moment i am going to go back on the couch with her
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Numbing my feelings only lasted a little while and then I woke up feeling worse.

Congratulate yourself for doing the right thing for you!!!

I offer my congratulations to YOU!! One day, just today, don't drink.

I wish you a sober day today!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Give her time but recommed Al-Anon to her. AA is going to be a part of your life. With any luck forever. She has to recover as well. She may not realize it but she also suffers from the disease. My husband isn't an alcoholic but when he realized how badly i suffered and how it affected him he started getting help. Self care is important. Our loved ones have to learn how to live with us and our disease.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Give her time but recommed Al-Anon to her. AA is going to be a part of your life. With any luck forever. She has to recover as well. She may not realize it but she also suffers from the disease. My husband isn't an alcoholic but when he realized how badly i suffered and how it affected him he started getting help. Self care is important. Our loved ones have to learn how to live with us and our disease.