Notices

Can I smoke pot?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
The guy's on his second day...Snarf...Maybe he can stop without it...
You're probably correct about that. I'm just trying to be honest with my feelings. I believe we each have the God-given gift of free will to make our own choices, and if those choices bring harm neither to us or to others, I don't see any problem with it. Mind you, I'm not advocating that everyone go out and use marijuana. Just like I don't advocate that everyone needs to stop consuming alcohol. What is a problem for me might not be a problem for someone else, so I don't feel I have much right in telling them what to do with their own bodies just because my doing the same thing may have affected me in a negative way. We're all individuals.
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

My "alcoholism" showed up in different substances....anything that got me out of today.

I can't smoke it because I get realllllllly thirsty..... It also doesn't allow me to be present and in this moment in time.
  # 23 (permalink)  

The whole suicide issue is definetly disturbing to all. But STOP....try not to think about it...or if you do, keep things in perspective. People, not just alcoholics commit suicide. Much like alcoholism, suicide does not discriminate against anyone. It all boils down to the mind and what your mind does to your thinking. It is a very sad & very upsetting fact of life.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by PBODY View Post
I stopped drinking for 2 years yet have had many relapses in the past 7 it wasnt the more recent two years it was like maybe 2-3 years ago. 2 years, so over the span of 3 years when I have smoked I haven't drank but when I didn't smoke I drank. So I think I am starting to answer my own question. Sorry my wife keeps asking me to get pot, she is saying I have been watching you getting ****** up for a while and.... so forth.
Okay. Thanks. What you're saying is easily understandable. I've been in your place myself. I tried to quit both when was like 21yrs 22 yrs old. I did quit the mary jane and the LSD and the hashish at that time -- > but only because I kept drinking alcohol.

So i understand.

I did quit alcohol at 24. Been sober ever since.

You're in a tough place and you have some choices to make. I could have made better choices back when.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just truly want to wake up when I am 45 and say I have been sober for 20 years more than anything, yet it is hard looking at the world and it seems the masses of people use. I just feel weak and confused I think I am going to look up meeting information right now and try to go shortly.

Thank you all once again for all of your help. Sapling I am sure I will talk to you later
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by bryangt View Post
The whole suicide issue is definetly disturbing to all. But STOP....try not to think about it...or if you do, keep things in perspective. People, not just alcoholics commit suicide. Much like alcoholism, suicide does not discriminate against anyone. It all boils down to the mind and what your mind does to your thinking. It is a very sad & very upsetting fact of life.
Not for nothing, and I'm already feeling stretched, but telling a person who has suicidal ideations to not think about it is not helpful. Talking with them about it in a very normal way is the most helpful. Really.

The more comfortable they can become with the reality of the situation the more likely they are to be aware of not being alone and uncared for and otherwise forgotten.

Knowing someone cares makes all the difference most times. Helping a person relax and become calm saves lives. Keeping secrets and otherwise keeping hush hush does not save lives.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Talk to you later bud...Enjoy the meeting...
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I just truly want to wake up when I am 45 and say I have been sober for 20 years more than anything, yet it is hard looking at the world and it seems the masses of people use. I just feel weak and confused I think I am going to look up meeting information right now and try to go shortly.

Thank you all once again for all of your help. Sapling I am sure I will talk to you later
You are very lucky.
I was 45 when I came to recovery and I do not recommend staying drunk from 25 to 45 like I did. Neither does anyone I know.
The oldtimers said "Don't drink, and go to meetings". Keep it that simple in the beginning.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

You have to make your own bed, and you have to lay in it. Whatever you choose i wish you the best on your recovery.

I was never a smoker, asthma took care of that for me, but anytime i'd substitute something for alcohol i would inevitably end up back at the liquor store after a stint.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I used to NEED a toke or two after drinking all night (every night) to ease the anxiety that became a constant companion after a while. I had trouble sleeping otherwise. I didn't smoke more than that, but I did it regularly.

After quitting the booze and my anxiety disappeared, I have toked only twice, even though I still have some stash. I didn't enjoy it the way I remembered - it interfered with what has become my normal nighttime routine. It didn't make me jones for a beer or a shot, just made me fuzzy and slow, and I didn't like it. Go figure.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was the same way pbody with my alcohol and drugs. Meaning while I was using pot daily, I didn't drink. When I wasn't using pot, I was drinking daily. When I had the oxycontin, I didn't have to drink or smoke pot. When I didn't have the oxycontin, I went back to smoking pot or drinking. Can you see the pattern here?

I was switching one drug for another. Cross-addiction. My solution was to stop all of it. That works for me.

God bless.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Thumbs down suggestion

My humble suggestion in do not use that mild euphoric. I say this because it was the cause of my relapse into drinking in 2005. For me it has truly been a gateway drug leading me back to drinking. In fact, many times I would have bags of mother nature laying around and did not touch it or desire it if I had my booze. So no I do not have a problem with marijuana but it affects my mind and emotions in a bad way by not allowing me to live life with emotional honesty. It burns serotonin at amazing rates and in the past left me empty and with a very sarcastic (shade of anger) attitude toward the world.

The big question for me is why am I desiring it and what void am I attempting to artificially fill?

Thank you for the topic and question as knowing all this the thought of maybe smoking some becomes strongest in the spring and I was just thinking about it yesterday as a passing thought.

Good to Have you Here

say no to the
Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

PBody,
Most people in here will tell you the same thing -- DO NOT smoke pot if you really want to recover. Even if you get a pot card (which I recently did), prob. you will eventually drink again if you use the mj. It just turns on the green light for everything in most addicts' minds. It is also much much stronger than in the past. Some people in AA skate by doing that (smoking weed) on the under for a period of time, but eventually they go out and really start drinking again. So...it is your life. IF however it keeps you from drinking, AND you can handle it, and smoke like a gentleman, go right ahead and do it. No one in AA can MAKE you do anything or not. Some people in AA ("program people") are very nazi like in alternate medications. They say even taking antidepressants and other helpful drugs is USING. Total BS as far as I'm concernd.
If you have a major medical issue(s), then some states will let you have pot cards and legally buy the mj. I am just saying, BE VERY CAREFUL AND USE CAUTION if you're going to smoke mj.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am feeling like I want something to drink which I am assuming it is natural considering. I am looking at some of these postings reading how people were sober for years and committed suicide so I am kind of leaning on getting a psych evaluation but they are out for lunch than I started thinking about how pot is used medicinally. I think it is just the jitters. How are you doing Sapling?
Hi Pbody. Yes, pot is used medicinally and if you think you need it then you can go get a diagnosis and prescription. But really there are many medicines you can be prescribed to help the symptoms but perhaps the real problem is emotional and related to addiction and what is truly needed is abstinence from substances while you work on yourself. I'm not trying to be mean, just suggesting things. During my first month or so of sobriety I was a rollercoaster of emotions and I kept posting that I had anxiety, depression... that I needed meds, therapy, that I was crazy etc. Some very kind people on SR suggested to me that I just give it time and realize my body and mind are adjusting to life without alcohol/drugs and that many of my problems may have been caused or exacerbated by self-medicating with drugs and alcohol. I listend to them and I'm really glad I did... I feel like a different person today (four months later). I'm not saying everything is perfect or I have no more desire to drink, but my emotions and state of being are so much more stable and balanced. Even more so, I am learning to accept who I am, my state of being, my surroundings, other people... maybe I'm crazy, but I'm okay with being crazy, and I like myself a whole lot better than when I was escaping into drinking and drugs. I hope this helps. I would really recommend you talk to a counselor and try your best to find natural ways to relieve your anxiety and withdrawal symptoms UNLESS of course you're having suicidal thoughts or physical problems withdrawing and then you should seek medical help immediately. If you really have a chemical imbalance then a doctor can prescribe the right medication, which may be marijuana... but right now if you don't have a prescription and you're just doing it for relief from reality like you used to drink, then you will just be switching addictions and not reallly addressing the problem or giving your body/mind time to adjust to the changes of sobriety, whch does take time. Best wishes.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

In my vast experience with trying to smoke pot or pop a few pills while trying to kick alcohol the answer is HELL NO.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're getting some mostly good advice here PBODY.

For me pot was no different to alcohol - I became enslaved to both and they both destroyed my life and nearly me.

If you think you need medication PBODY please see a Dr. and be honest with them about your situation.

In a wider sense - guys, this a recovery site.

Many people here have had problems with marijuana, or have had loved ones have problems with marijuana.

I'd ask people to remember that fact - and also this rule.

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Anyone who wants to argue the point can PM me.

Lets get back to the OP
D
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

There are so many ways to kid yourself and it's easy enough to find at least a few people who will cosign any ridiculous thing you can possibly come up with.

You only hamstring yourself by getting loaded, and you get to deal with the unpleasant aspects that go with doing that. None of my concern if you do.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sorry if I broke the forum rules, it wasn't my intention.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Back before now, when I felt as if I could control my drinking habit at least a little bit... I would smoke weed to forget about the urge to drink.
I went nineteen days doing this. Craving a drink, so I smoked some weed and read a book or tried to without getting lost or confused.
Weed never caused any problems in my life, and it actually helped me to "not drink just for today." Of course, those days were limited to nineteen...
So, I believe that weed can help with not drinking, but not forever, and it gets to be pretty expensive.
Mind altering drugs suck for trying to live spiritually, but it's up to you! That's the beauty of life... you get to choose.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Yikes. So my original post in this thread was deleted, and not even a message to me about it? I thought we were all about honesty here. Looks like I was incorrect.

EDIT: Stay strong, PB. Good on you for recognizing and working on your issues with alcohol.