Notices

Reverse Hangover

Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reverse Hangover

Quitting drinking is so hard, especially in the early days. I just wanted to give out some positive vibes to everyone out there in the first month. As you've probably noticed, you feel at least a little bit better every day! Keep it up! There are so many positive things happening to your mind and body right now. In addition to feeling and looking better, you're thinking better and approaching life's little issues with a better attitude. Don't worry about bad moods and depression. It will pass. Eat some chocolate or take someone out for a meal at one of those restaurants that used to p*ss you off because they don't serve alcohol.

As a hard drinker for decades, I got used to feeling physically bad (hungover) a lot of the time. It's taken me five months of sobriety to start to appreciate feeling good. I remember that "poisoned" feeling, I still use it to motivate myself not to take a drink, but I'm starting to learn to enjoy the "reverse hangover", where I just feel good because I'm alive. I still get cravings, of course, but by now I can swat them away like mosquitos in a tropical paradise.

Keep up the good work, everyone! We're all in this together...
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Yes, I agree, gaffo. It took me about 4-5 months for my head to clear, and it does feel like a reverse hangover. I would suggest that you stop calling your desire for alcohol 'craving' at this point, however. Strictly speaking, craving is a physiological phenomenon, not a psychological one, and even AA concurs with this. You no longer 'crave' alcohol at this point, you desire it, and desire is far easier to address than craving. Calling it 'craving' only gives it more power than it really has.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

I'm going to go get me a nice big fatty lunch today because i dont have an upset stomach from drinking and i just got paid and because i want to lol
Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

As soon as i sober up i'm going to take myself to the zoo and a nice lunch. I hope i feel well enough Saturday to have a really nice afternoon with my husband. I miss my life.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take someone out to one of the restaurants that used to **** you off because they don't serve alcohol. That was totally me, I think I know all the restaurants that serve alcohol within a 5 mile radius. Ughhh how embarrassing.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
I'm starting to learn to enjoy the "reverse hangover", where I just feel good because I'm alive
Hell yeah, I love just stepping back from life for 1 quick moment each day and think about how awesome it is to be alive and sober! It's one of the best feelings ever.