Notices

weird

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To a non alcoholic this would sound a lot like... I just had a peanut without a terrible negative potentially life threatening reaction like all of the others times I ate peanuts (coming from someone with a peanut allergy ;-)

To us alcoholics we get the I had a peanut success story... it actually almost makes sense to us. Not enough to risk the consequences for sure if you take the time to think about it ;-)

All of the best in your recovery, you can do this
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Newbeginnings, I have thought of that analogy as well, being the mother of a child with a life-threatening peanut allergy! would I ever let or suggest she have just a little? No way! So, why, with a real health problem(I have some liver disease and diabetes), would I do that with alcohol. it helps. But not enough to have pevented some relapses.

Ugh.

Whenever I try having just one glass of wine, it usually(always goes to 2). Then, very quickly, to two th enext night or one after, because, well, ther eis the rest of that bottle. and they are big glasses, sine a bottle is really 5 drinks, yet I seem to usually only get 4 glasses of sine in the bottles I buy. Then it is Saturday, nothing to do on Sunday, so, i decide to have a bit more and finsih the bottle. or I just start at 5 when hubby has a beer, and if I am going ot be up until 11 or later, well, the bottle gets finished. Then: anxiety, hangover, etc...

We all know the drill, regardless of our drink or exactly how much we take.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I did much the same thing and didn't catch it early. I could stop for awhile and sometimes then just have one or two glasses of alcohol, genuinely not feel like any more than that. But letting down my guard as a result of that led me to some of the worst binges I ever had, in my case anyhow. Many of us have fallen for it, at some time or another, so I think you did well to ask because I tried to sneak around it.

I also came to grips with the realization that it wasn't good for my overall recovery, with regard to getting rid of the obsession, so ultimately I could commit to giving up altogether.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't even remember ever having...One beer...
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i've also tried this kind of moderating...congratulating myself and marveling at being able to stop....there must be a mis-diagnosis, i'm NOT an alcoholic, pat me on the back.

then all of a sudden i would slip into a bender and be right back in the middle of self-destructing. it's exhausting all that counting and worrying about what is moderation....do i really have a problem, do i really have a hangover, maybe it's "a virus" that causes me to be heaving my stomach up????

i'm tired of going in circles forever. Not drinking is just EASIER.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ok, I got it. no more "one beer" for me