Notices

Another Fresh Start

Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Fresh Start

I'm once again attempting to start living an alcohol free life. I went to an AA meeting last night and it felt good. I previously attended one over a year ago but didn't continue with it. I have tried moderating and giving up for short periods but to no avail. It seems the longest I can get is about two weeks at which point I have forgotten about all the negative aspects of my drinking and revert to my old habits.

This time I'm determined! Any advice appreciated! Especially advice about how you guys finally achieved long term sobriety. How do I break the cycle of wanting to change, reading up on it and going to a meeting, before simply giving up and going back to normal??????
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by petethebrick View Post
I'm once again attempting to start living an alcohol free life. I went to an AA meeting last night and it felt good. I previously attended one over a year ago but didn't continue with it.
Welcome back Pete...I did the same thing with AA....I went to one about 8 or 9 years ago...I wasn't ready...They might as well have been speaking Chinese....I had more damage to do and I did it...On July first last year I went back and this time I listened....I was broken...Damn near walking dead...I did what they told me and I worked hard at it....I got it this time...It works...I just had to do the work...Havent had a drink since and I learned something about myself doing those 12 steps...I was one destructive alcoholic...And I had a lot of fixing to do...I'm happy now and living...For the first time in a very long time...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a hard question. I, too, was like you. Whenever I recovered from the last drink, I went straight back to the bottle.
This cycle continued for many years, until I couldn't live without alcohol.

What works for one person may not work for everyone. I've found payer and deep willingness to quit is what finaly got me to the point where I'm over two years sober.
And I was a raving drunk for many years.

You can quit too. It takes willingness, and an open mind for whatever method you choose.
I hope you don't get to the point that I did. I hit bottom many times. But that still didn't stop me.

Try AA again and go with an open mind. Focus on the simularities you hear. I wish I had the magic answer to your question, but I don't. I had to come to the point where I did not want to drink more than I wanted to.

Thinking that first drink through to end and the pain, anxiety and suffering it brings keeps me sober today. One day at a time.

Best to you on your journey.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Pete!

I know that I became anxious when I had stopped drinking for a few weeks because I felt unsure about my 'new' life. My anxiety always led me back to drinking. For me, I just had to take a leap of faith in my mind and know for certain that alcohol was never an option for me. At that point, my mind began to work in more healthy ways to help me deal with daily life.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
I had to come to the point where I did not want to drink more than I wanted to.

I know what you mean, I think I've reached that point now.

For those of you who quit through AA was it going through the 12 steps that finally broke your habit? And did many of you attend one-on-one counselling or therapy in conjunction with the AA meetings??
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by petethebrick View Post
I know what you mean, I think I've reached that point now.

For those of you who quit through AA was it going through the 12 steps that finally broke your habit? And did many of you attend one-on-one counselling or therapy in conjunction with the AA meetings??
No counslelling for me...I got that in the meetings...The 12 steps are the program of recovery...They not only broke my habit...They completely changed my life....That's what I needed....Badly.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

'For those of you who quit through AA was it going through the 12 steps that finally broke your habit? And did many of you attend one-on-one counselling or therapy in conjunction with the AA meetings??'

The last thing I wanted to do was the steps. By that point I'd done everything you could name that was available.

Yes, it was the steps that made the difference between temporary and uncomfortable not-drinking and living comfortably sober for a very long time now.

You can pursue less involved and demanding paths for as long as you care to do that and perhaps something will work. I'd say stay away from AA until you're willing to do the whole enchilada. Less is a waste of everyone's time.