Notices

Withdrawal Symptoms?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Symptoms?

Hi,

I'm in my first week of sobriety and I'm feeling it, physically. I've noticed my hands shaking a bit but it's not too bad. The surprising thing is that I've been feeling extreme fatigue and weakness. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced that and how long I should expect this to last. As always..thank you!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about your drinking history....I didn't take chances with detox...I'd rather my doctor knew what I was doing and see if he had any advice for me or anything that could make it easier for me.....I just think that is something that is better to do safely..Welcome to SR..
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've experienced all those things Doogie - but Saplings right - we're all different....don't hesitate to see a Dr - I always recommend that, especially if you're concerned

D
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

Doogie, I slept 12 hours a day for my first 3 weeks sober, I believe my body was healing and it was also a symtom of depression. This too shall pass my friend.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My previous detoxes were bad. Chills, night sweats, diarrhea, anxiety. The whole deal. This past detox I experienced the sleepless nights, anxiety, and of course the shaking or what some call the DT's.... The shakes lasted me about 4 days... But they could be shorter or longer depending how much you've been drinking. I think someone here mentioned that the shakes lasted them 2 weeks, which is crazy.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea mon a Doctor is the best way to go if possible!! For those of us without access to healthcare... I've been drinking camomile tea and tons of water and eating as much fruit as I can!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doogie. you going to AA in Edmonton?

Bob R (near Windsor)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

P.A.W.S. post acute withdrawl symptoms can last 12 -24 months but my experience the fatigue will get better soon and the shakes will not last to much longer. Hang in ther!!!

"THIS TOO SHALL PASS"
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Doogie,

You should go to your doctor to make your withdrawal more manageable. They will usually give you a benzodiazepine which helps control the electrical activity in your brain and will act as an anticonvulsant. If you start the DT's they are medically hard to shake and you can have a seizure, although only 10-20 % of people do.

I was an all day drinker, didn't really get "*********" just buzzed all day and night, when I decided to quit, I got a script for some Benzodiazepines for the first four days so the withdrawals wouldn't drive me to drink. I'm eight days sober and off of the meds and sleeping, eating, and functioning normal. Something to think about
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
My previous detoxes were bad. Chills, night sweats, diarrhea, anxiety. The whole deal. This past detox I experienced the sleepless nights, anxiety, and of course the shaking or what some call the DT's....
The shakes are serious, but they are not the DTs. These are DTs:

Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

Originally Posted by OheemJah View Post
Doogie,

You should go to your doctor to make your withdrawal more manageable. They will usually give you a benzodiazepine which helps control the electrical activity in your brain and will act as an anticonvulsant. If you start the DT's they are medically hard to shake and you can have a seizure, although only 10-20 % of people do.

I was an all day drinker, didn't really get "*********" just buzzed all day and night, when I decided to quit, I got a script for some Benzodiazepines for the first four days so the withdrawals wouldn't drive me to drink. I'm eight days sober and off of the meds and sleeping, eating, and functioning normal. Something to think about
this is true. doctors should be cautious when prescribing these as getting hooked on benzos is not fun, the withdrawals are as bad or worse than alcohol withdrawals. that said, a short term prescription will help a lot when withdrawing from alcohol. sad to say, but i have a lot of experience using benzos to withdraw. all of them can work very well, but i must say i had horrible experiences with librium(Chlordiazepoxide).....made me feel like a complete zombie. valium, klonopin and ativan all worked well though.

good luck with your recovery, and fatigue and weakness is very common when getting sober. you have to realize how long you have been putting your body through hell, and that it will take some time to recover physically.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
The shakes are serious, but they are not the DTs. These are DTs:

Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Sorry, you're right. I did have the DT's but I guess the shakes are part of that.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best not to speculate on what a Dr might prescribe.
that's not our job.

As I said, I do think consulting a Dr is an excellent idea tho.

Please all remember our medical rule:
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your advice. As I said, the shakes aren't too bad. It's the fatigue and weakness that's been a struggle. I've also been sleeping a lot!As a number of you commented on, I guess it's just part of the physical healing process. I will make an appointment with my physician this week and see if he can offer some assistance in making this a bit more manageable. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your advice. As I said, the shakes aren't too bad. It's the fatigue and weakness that's been a struggle. I've also been sleeping a lot!As a number of you commented on, I guess it's just part of the physical healing process. I will make an appointment with my physician this week and see if he can offer some assistance in making this a bit more manageable. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoogieM View Post
It's a good move...Be honest about your drinking...No sense putting yourself through misery if you don't have to.