Notices

My Life Is Falling Apart

Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Praying for you Fitz!! So glad you are getting help!! Lind
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Keep searching Fitz. There's a solution for that stuff.

I never would have believed it before I tried it but AA's steps really did a number on my depression issues. I suppose I probably could have stayed on antidepressants but, FOR ME, that would have been treating the symptom rather than the core issue(s). Matter of fact, it was depression that wouldn't STOP that got me to really get serious about the program (fear of drinking again got me in and kept me in at first but the depression convinced me to really step up my game).
Try to remember, DT, that sometimes one of the core issues of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Sure, the program of AA works wonders for us alcoholics, and it has done miracles for me too. The steps won't, however, restore serotonin or dopamine levels to where they should be.

God bless.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The steps won't, however, restore serotonin or dopamine levels to where they should be.
Thank you jocata.
Prozac restored my levels to balance, so I could think better (lose the suicidal ideation, hopelessness and helplessness of depression), then, when my mind was clear, I could learn how to live from the steps.

Beth
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by jocata View Post
Try to remember, DT, that sometimes one of the core issues of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Sure, the program of AA works wonders for us alcoholics, and it has done miracles for me too. The steps won't, however, restore serotonin or dopamine levels to where they should be.

God bless.
I get, of course, what you're saying.....I've known that for man years so it's not something I need to "remember."

I also recognize that clinical depression is one thing.....going to a family doc, telling them your tale of woe, and getting meds to tread your depression is a completely different deal.

I've had plenty of "depression meds" over the years and not once was there a heavy-duty examination of serotonin or dopamine levels in my brain. I do, however, have a sponsee (who just got his 1yr token a month ago) who I YELLED at, if he discontinues his prescribed medication one more time, will be looking for a new sponsor because HE HAS BEEN tested (repeatedly) since he was a child.

Obviously some ppl need meds.......obviously.........but let's not make the assumption that every case of "depression" is necessarily heavy-duty clinical depression. I've got more than a few friends in recovery who are MDs, social workers, substance abuse therapists and so forth....... from their experience working in the field for maaaaany years, the majority of those meds are drastically over-prescribed.

I believe we both agree.....some ppl need meds. As I said, I've sponsored a man for over a year who I INSIST stay on his meds for now....until his doc's agree that it would be prudent to look into coming off them.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi MCF, I hope that you are getting help/treatment & feeling better. I thought of this quote for you the other day & didn't post it so here it is:

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day, saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
- Mary Anne Radmacher

All of the best to you my friend.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Asking for help can be the hardest step but the first step always is. Congrats on making that step.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Let's get this thread back where it belongs. Fits, you have given so much hope to so many of us. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep the faith!