Notices

Hi I'm new on this forum

Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new on this forum

Hi I'm Isaac and I'm new on this forum. I joined today because I've been dealing with some horrible stuff that's just happened to me recently with my alcoholic mother. She's always suffered with depression and alcoholism and she's been to 12 step program rehabs a few times before and she tells me that this method doesn't work. Anyway, last night she asked me for permission to kill herself; I of course told her I love her and not to do it. Bottom line is, I'm extremely worried about her and I need some advice from people who have experience with these things.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Issac - welcome.

I'm really sorry you're in that situation - it must be so hard to care for a parent, especially a parent who struggles with an addiction.

You'll find a lot of support here tho
I also encourage you to look at our Family and Friends forums too & our ACOA forum too - a ton of support down there as well

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Sorry to hear about your mother, there are a lot of people here who are on your side. The Friends & Family and Children of Alcoholics\Addicts forums would be a great place to post for help as well. My father drank a bit when I was younger, but never experienced alcoholism until I meet some of my relatives from up north. Hope she can find something to turn her life around.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dr, that's a hard situation you are dealing with. Did you call Al-Anon? Do you have family to help you there?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm very sorry about your mom. Alcoholism creates a lot of depression and pain and I remember having thoughts of suicide, too. I knew I would never do it, but the thoughts were there.

If you suspect that she is really serious, it's best to call someone (911 if you have to) and get her help. Would she consider rehab?

One thing that might help you is one of the online sites for suicide prevention. Here's one: (there are others, too) Suicide Prevention: Spotting the Signs and Helping a Suicidal Person

Prayers going out to you and your mom.........
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Isaac))) - Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for what has brought you here. I'm a recovering addict, I have loved ones who are alcoholics/addicts, and SR has been a huge help in dealing with all of it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR
Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paradox, Humor, Change

The 12 steps do work, perhaps you could encourage your mother to try again. Welcome to SR.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Issac - welcome.

I'm really sorry you're in that situation - it must be so hard to care for a parent, especially a parent who struggles with an addiction.

You'll find a lot of support here tho
I also encourage you to look at our Family and Friends forums too & our ACOA forum too - a ton of support down there as well

[links]

D

Thanks for this. I'm really in need of this kind of support.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMan2012 View Post
The 12 steps do work, perhaps you could encourage your mother to try again. Welcome to SR.
Thanks. I'm sorry if I came off wrong. I didn't mean to say that the 12 steps don't work. I know for a fact that it works for many people. I just know my mother said she wanted to try something else because 12 step wasn't working for her.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are so many ways to stay sober. For me, I see an addiction counselor once a week and come here every day. It's working so far.

to the family.