Notices

Day 7 - my experience.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 - my experience.

Well today is day 7 for me. I'm still in shock about how much Ive changed in a week. Everybody keeps telling me I look good, ask me if I went on a diet or they tell me I seem really happy for some reason. I can't explain this feeling and I never want it to end, it seems like even when I have a bad day I'm still smiling. Well I know I have a long way to go but I just wanted to write a bit about my progress. So I'll tell you guys something that I did today that I haven't done in years.

Well this morning at work, my boss asked me to go on a delivery for him, as well as stop by a supplier of ours to pick up some supplies that we needed. Normally I would be freaking out, because I have severe anxiety I'm absolutely terrified of driving too far without a few beers in the car just in case I have a panic attack. Well today I was up for the challenge, I told him sure I can do that (even though I could have easily passed the job onto any of the employees under me). I jumped in my car and I was off. About 10 minutes in to the 45 minute drive I started getting a little nervous... Thinking "what am I doing!? This is so out of the ordinary!" well I ignored that little voice in my head and kept driving. Once I got to my first destination I let out a huge sigh of relief. I then proceeded to drive another 30 minutes out to my next destination without any problems. I even called the boss and asked if it was ok if I take my lunch while I'm here... I'm near the beach. And he said sure. So right now I'm enjoying a delicious turkey sandwich with the ocean about 100 yards away. I still got about another hour and a half drive back to work but I'm sure I'll be fine. Its amazing the lies that alcohol will make you believe, I can do anything I want to without alcohol. Thanks for reading guys! Stay positive, stay sober!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

eh - That is fabulous, I'm so proud of you. What an uplifting post. I used alcohol to calm my anxiety and it totally backfired on me. I wish it hadn't taken me decades to finally get it.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn. Yea I used it for the same reasons and it totally took over my life. To the point where I would need a few drinks in me just to go run a quick errand. It's pathetic what my life was but I'm fully determined to never go down that dark road again.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're not alone - I remember taking a beer to the grocery store & dashing into the ladies room to drink it before 'facing' the produce department. Ugh.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
LOVE this eh! Overcoming fears big and small has been so empowering for me. You are absolutely right....you can do anything you want without alcohol. Laying down the crutch and walking on my own two feet actually feels like flying sometimes and lest anyone want to warn me of the pink cloud....it's been several years and I still feel this way. Thanks for your post!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress, eh

D
Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's ace eh. This is my day 7 too but I've yet to test myself in any of my key anxiety moments, though day to day has been easier. It's nice to hear a positive story
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hypo. As long as you're sober you are making progress. Give yourself some time and when you're ready, go out and do something out of the ordinary. It truly is a great feeling!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats to you hypo - you'll know when you feel ready, I reckon

D
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It does feel great doesn't it!! And I still feel that way 3 years sober. Keep it going eh1988..
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Luweez

Ca as in California or ca(eh) as in Canada. I've noticed your posts and just wondered as
I like the screen name. I am from c-eh
Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

CA as in California, sorry for the confusion, EH are my initials
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

eh1988,

What a great, positive post to read! You sound wonderful! Keep up the good work and take care.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job EH! It feels great to be in control of your life. Alcohol is such a liar.
I thought I suffered from depression/ anxiety naturally.... after being sober 7 wks, I realize what a cruel trick alcohol played on me.
I have never been happier.
I will say I had a few days of depression but I think that was my brain chemistry getting back in sync. Have been happy & CALM( which is absolute bliss) since.
Keep it going man, you've seen too much to go back now.