Notices

I purchased a Hot Dog cart today

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I purchased a Hot Dog cart today

Not looking forward to the quit day, trying to drink less, thats not happening. I know that past the 3 day mark will be OK. Booze is my main painkiller and withot it I'm a mess. I have to take pain pills all the time and my lungs really get screwed.

I have to hear it 100 times it seems, Ya when I quit I feel really bad, I have COPD from smoking and booze keeps things loose in the lungs.

OK, It will be hell, the worst of it is that I've gone through this so many times. Withdrawl sucks and everyone wonders why you dropped out of life for a while (like a week)

My dad is so mad at me he talks like I've died. He is so mad that he talks in a low tone, you know when anger turns to frustration thats what he is feeling.

I purchased a Hot Dog cart today. $2300 on credit. I dont have a job and in my shape I'm unemployable. Applied for 60 jobs in two years, no takers, so there is something so wrong with me that I cannot even get a job at home depot. So Discouraging as I have a Diploma in Electronics. But my 25 years of experience boozing it up must put people off.

What do you do when you wouldnt hire yourself?

You go into business. Another reason my dad is so mad, he is an accountant and cannot understand why I cannot get work. The hot dog cart was his biggest dissapointment I can tell, why does he want me to work for some a-hole for low wages. He doesnt think I can suceed. At this point I dont think so either, But no one will hire me so what else am I to do?

I havent quit yet but it seems I will need this site when I do, I have to get this business underway and I cannot be as baged as Ihave been.
Blathering on sorry.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey man, I wish you the best of luck with the business. just think of all the kinds of people you're gonna meet!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought your dad was going to send you to rehab or something...What happened to that?...Oh...And congrats on the cart..
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes there was talk of sending me away for 30 days, but they are so behind the times. How can I live without a cell phone? computer? I'd rather be a drunk than go without these things.
And where I live these places are a magnet for homeless people, I hope not to become one. The more expensive places are out of reach, Like thirty grand for the time there.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have to do something...Are just going to sell hotdogs to buy booze?...You will end up homeless doing that...I think if it's a matter of giving up you phone for a month...It would be worth it...What about hitting an AA meeting?...You ever try that?...It's free...You could probably sell some dogs while you were there...You have to try something SS...This stuff will kill you if you keep going like you are...No wonder the old man's p!ssed off...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA started 15 years ago. they told me to quit to avoid what I have become now. Have been back here and there from time to time. The meeting near me is two blocks away. I've been there mabie 20 times.

I'm going to sell hotdogs to pay my mortgage, untill recently I had a high paying job that was sent to the Philipines so I've been living off the dividends of that. My town is now a "have a degree or you dont get work - kind of place place"

I cannot keep the mortgage and go to school for 4 years, so I have to take measures to keep me somewhat solvent. I'm 42 so school is kind of out, no assistance with it.

Ya I should go to that meeting, I am quite shy and hate when they call on me to speak.
I'm recovering from surgury and It's like God has handed me the shitstorm we seem to all go through sometime.

Ya depression.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Sapling. If you're just using the hot dog cart to pay for booze, you'd might as well sell it before you start. If you're taking it seriously and really want to sell hot dogs, do you know how much it will cost for daily supplies (buns, weiners, *heh*, onions, mustard, relish) all that stuff. Do you know where you will sell them? Do you know if you have to have a food permit for a mobile food cart in your city? If so, do you know how much they cost, or what classes they may require for proper food handling? Do you know how much you will sell them for? More importantly do you know how to cook a good hot dog? I think if you set your mind to it, you can do it, but you have to do it for the right reasons. If you're doing it just to support a habit, it won't work. If you're doing it to pay your mortgage, you have to remain sober, spending your supplies money on booze is going to end your business venture quickly. I wish you the best of luck, try your hardest, and stay sober!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You should probably try to get sober first and foremost. It isn't going to be easy to get or keep a job if you are currently drinking. Try to get out for a walk every day, the sunlight and exercise will help to pull you from the grasps of depression. Listen to happy music. Have faith that things will get better, don't give up on yourself. I believe that you have the power to change your life. Without alcohol holding you down you will be able to see things so much more clearly. You can do it.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still think rehab is your best bet SS...You can live without a phone and a computer for a month...It will make you dad happy and you can get the help you need to clean up...Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do SS....This is your life you are talking about here..
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would think the reasoning behind no cells or computers is to strip unnecessary stuff from you and to help you focus on getting better. also to take away the possibility of distracting and unproductive people communicating. it would be something you decide to submit to.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

good luck with whatever you choose to do
Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes I did my homework, and I can cook a dog. Of course I have looked into all aspects. Would I wish to something different, yes, but this is the situation. Give me some support here. It's an all cash business. The alternative is $10 hr temp jobs with many risks. I'm not very healthy and the environments I have been in with construction just dont work. Have terrible lung disease, so there is not a lot else I can do.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spacestation View Post
Give me some support here. It's an all cash business.
I don't think anybody is not giving you support here SS....This is a recovery site...Not a hotdog cart launching pad...I'll say it again....My first choice...Lose the phone for a month...Make Dad happy and go to rehab...Suck it up and get better...If you can't do that...Start hitting that meeting next to you daily...Get a sponsor and work the 12 steps...Sell some dogs and save your life.....It's all up to you...You have to do this...Nobody else can do it for you...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not looking forward to the quit day, trying to drink less, thats not happening. I know that past the 3 day mark will be OK. Booze is my main painkiller and withot it I'm a mess. I have to take pain pills all the time and my lungs really get screwed.

I have to hear it 100 times it seems, Ya when I quit I feel really bad, I have COPD from smoking and booze keeps things loose in the lungs.

OK, It will be hell, the worst of it is that I've gone through this so many times. Withdrawl sucks and everyone wonders why you dropped out of life for a while (like a week)

My dad is so mad at me he talks like I've died. He is so mad that he talks in a low tone, you know when anger turns to frustration thats what he is feeling.

I purchased a Hot Dog cart today. $2300 on credit. I dont have a job and in my shape I'm unemployable. Applied for 60 jobs in two years, no takers, so there is something so wrong with me that I cannot even get a job at home depot. So Discouraging as I have a Diploma in Electronics. But my 25 years of experience boozing it up must put people off.

What do you do when you wouldnt hire yourself?

You go into business. Another reason my dad is so mad, he is an accountant and cannot understand why I cannot get work. The hot dog cart was his biggest dissapointment I can tell, why does he want me to work for some a-hole for low wages. He doesnt think I can suceed. At this point I dont think so either, But no one will hire me so what else am I to do?

I havent quit yet but it seems I will need this site when I do, I have to get this business underway and I cannot be as baged as Ihave been.
Blathering on sorry.
I use to live in New York City. The land of hot dog/kanish/gyros/pretzels/etc... carts. I have made many friends as they were my lunch providers. Some have put their kids through college with these hot dog carts. It's no joke. You should be proud and be very inovative and cater to what the community you live in (the city) likes to eat the most. And most of all, make friends with your customers. They will always come back to you.

Good luck and I just know you will make it good.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope having the cart and starting a new venture gives you a lot of hope. which is vital for me in staying sober (along with gratitude). I think you did a positive thing and it could work if you've done the homework.

take the good feelings and build on it and try to kick your depression to the curb.

AA is not the only answer.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
AA is not the only answer.
I'm not saying AA is the only answer...I've said from the beginning...Rehab would be my choice...At least it's an option....One that I thank God...Someone offered to me....There are other programs that work...Like I said before...You have to try something...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Blathering on sorry.

Hi Spacestation,

Tough days for you right now but once you're ready to stop the booze things will get better. You're right that a detox is not an easy thing to start and get going with. I read your earlier posts and you've been drinking awhile. Seeing a doctor and having a safe detox is a good idea and worth looking at again.

Sometimes we just are not ready to quit and people wanting us to quit when we're not ready can be a real hurtful time. I remember my own days of being drunk, and not wanting to quit and yet still wanting to eventually quit. A bad place to be.

You're right SR will be here when you're ready and even when you're getting ready to quit, like you are now. Keep posting and keep trying, spacestation.

There is good support here even if sometimes it seems people are telling you what to do and not so much helping you to see your options and support you through your own decisions.

Best of luck, spacestation.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I mentioned the cart because it's the first thin I've done in two years to keep my head above water. Its the first move in any direction other than the liquor store.

I have been looking for a cart for some time.

No this is not about starting a cart business, A severe alcoholic is grasping at straws to keep a lid on things here.

Alcoholics are everywhere in Canada, I would say a very great percentage of people drink and I know them. I dont know a person that doesnt drink a great deal. I only know my family. The liquor stores are a block from each other everywhere.

I feel they are hypocrites as they drink all the time and I have to be the one who can never be served a drink.

Was at a wedding last year and I was the only sober person around 300 drinkers, Felt like crap and did not have a good time, left and went to bed feeling worse than I have ever. The norm at a wedding is to drink and have fun. I could have had a great time free bar, Really can I make the move to only Social drinking. Sorry all the punctuation on my PC is comming in French.

What gets me is I NEVER drink with family and have not for decades. I used to get embarissingly drunk socially so I took it inside. I havnt been to a bar since I NYE 2010 which reminded me why I cannot drink in public. That was a one off 1st in years. It did not go well, car crashed on the median and wrecked the tire.

I apologise I have to get this off my chest, In doing so I will have to eat crow and go an stay at my dads place till I can dry out. He is a cranky old man, but he is concearned.

How this got so bad is my mother died a slow death from cancer. Diagnosed 2005 died 2007. Thats the short explanation. Work stress drove me to panic attacks and I had to quit in 2010. Anyone in telecom may have a similar experience.

Quit day eludes me, when I wake up I feel like ****, de ja vu.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you want to make the most of this new business, you'll do better sober. You're moving forward, maybe think of it that way. You want to succeed, you've been thinking about this, put some effort into the research, now the best thing you can to prepare yourself is to be sober and feel well each morning, not hungover.

good luck
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I am supporting you, if you are determined to do it I'm sure you will do just fine with your business venture. Once again, best of luck! Stay determined and stay sober!