Notices

Feel like a failure again

Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel like a failure again

I stopped drinking on 3 Jan. It was really hard and first few days were hellish. After a week I felt better and then by 1 month felt physically and mentally better than I had in years. In mid Feb I had a bad night with family and had a drink, 2 drinks. Felt awful, didn't enjoy it and felt so bad the next day. I was so determined not to do it again. But I did, 3 nights later. Same thing, just a couple of glasses. Since then I've done it a few times. Not really enjoyed it, feel lousy the next day. I know how ill it makes me feel. Its like a slippery slope, gradual. I know if I continue I will end up getting very drunk and it will be a regular thing. I am determined to stop now and not let this get the better of me. I am annoyed at even getting to this stage after a good New Year start and feel such a failure. I know I should ask what I'm going to do differently this time. I've started the gym, still taking the vits, reading AVRT (again) I have also been away frm this site for the last 3 weeks. There is a definite correlation between the support given on here and stopping drinking. I should never have stopped coming on here. I can see now what a gradual, destructive thing alcohol is. It really can just creep up. I'm not making excuses for drinking. Just need to write this down as don't feel honest coming back on SR without being truthful. Thanks everyone
Old 03-05-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up...At least you're not enjoying it and we never saw you again...I'm glad you are back justhadenough...Let's just work on getting it right this time...You can do this..
Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Sapling, you are very kind and supportive
Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want to see you make it...Let's get started....You know what you can't do today...Maybe get a little more reading in and hang out here when you're bored...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I want to see you make it...Let's get started....You know what you can't do today...Maybe get a little more reading in and hang out here when you're bored...
Thank you. I'm lying on sofa now it's 9.45pm here so going to go to bed soon. Actually feeling quite relaxed =it;s almost as if now I've made the decision there is no going back and I feel calmer than I have in the last 3 weeks
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for posting about this, and I'm glad you feel better.

You know what you have to do, and we are here for you.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's good...Get a good rest...It's great to see you...
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
I've started the gym, still taking the vits, reading AVRT (again)...
What did you read? The free crash course? The Rational Recovery book? There is an active thread on AVRT in the secular connections forum. If this is the route you are taking, I recommend reading through that entire thread. You can certainly learn AVRT on your own, but people often miss some nuances initially, and you can learn much faster with some back-and-forth discussion.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Looks like you have a new sponsor justhadenough...Listen to him...
Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
What did you read? The free crash course? The Rational Recovery book? There is an active thread on AVRT in the secular connections forum. If this is the route you are taking, I recommend reading through that entire thread. You can certainly learn AVRT on your own, but you can learn much faster with some back-and-forth discussion. People often miss some nuances initialy.
Thanks TU. I have the book which I read once and had started to read a second time (on your advice) when I stupidly had a drink. I didn't really look at the secular connections forum much last time -there were so many threads I didn't know where to start really. I really enjoyed the book, it made sense. Don't get me wrong, there were many parts that I didn't quite understand and def need to do much more work as I have had a drink but I am committed to using RR/AVRT and believe it is the right option for me. I am definitely going to start looking through the threads-thanks for the link.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post
I really enjoyed the book, it made sense. Don't get me wrong, there were many parts that I didn't quite understand and def need to do much more work as I have had a drink but I am committed to using RR/AVRT and believe it is the right option for me.
The book explains AVRT in an easy-to-understand format, but AVRT is actually a much more dynamic, living phenomenon; it must be seen in action to truly be appreciated. I'm nowhere near as good as Trimpey at drawing out the Beast — he doesn't miss a beat — but I have seen how he does it. After you read through the thread, start posting. There are some sharp people contributing on there now, and they often catch things that I miss. Your Beast will be hard pressed to get one past us.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you came back. It doesn't get any better out there.

God bless.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

justhadenough,

Alcohol is a many headed ruthless beast. You might consider reading "Under the Influence" by James Milam and Katrherine Ketcham and "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr to gain additional knowledge in dealing with the beast.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

You're not a failure, you're human. We are all fallible.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Justhad, was wondering how you were.

As said, you are not a failure, so please lose that mindset. You know it was never going to be easy. Please just keep looking forward, not back. And stick around here - it has been monumental in keeping me on track.

Much love,

Sunny xx
Old 03-05-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
The book explains AVRT in an easy-to-understand format, but AVRT is actually a much more dynamic, living phenomenon; it must be seen in action to truly be appreciated. I'm nowhere near as good as Trimpey at drawing out the Beast — he doesn't miss a beat — but I have seen how he does it. After you read through the thread, start posting. There are some sharp people contributing on there now, and they often catch things that I miss. Your Beast will be hard pressed to get one past us.
Thanks TU. I started reading it last night. It is very interesting. It will take me a few days to get through it all but do believe it will be a great help and I'm looking forward to participating once I've read it all. I have woken up this morning with positive thoughts. Didn't sleep well but that will improve in a few nights.

Thanks for your kind words
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
Hi Justhad, was wondering how you were.

As said, you are not a failure, so please lose that mindset. You know it was never going to be easy. Please just keep looking forward, not back. And stick around here - it has been monumental in keeping me on track.

Much love,

Sunny xx
Hi Sunny

Thanks for your response. I have been keeping a low profile for the last 3 weeks. Need to face it head on though and today is a new day. I'm feeling better already for making a decision and a new start.

How are things with you? Have you started your volunteer work? How's it going? You are doing really well with it all Sunny.

I still feel better than I did on 3 Jan both physically and mentally but that is dangerous really cos the little voice says 'see you are ok you don't have a problem, you can have a couple of glasses, you'll be fine' It always starts that way though then next week it will be a bottle, then 2 then every night, then problems and the same old cycle starts again!

Here's to a new sober start!
Love
JHE.xx
Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's great that you're back before you let things get worse. You're stopping a lot sooner than I did when I went back to "test the waters."

It took a good bit of time (and coming here every day) before the alcoholic "reasoning" didn't phase me. It really does get easier though.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
instant

It is great that you are back after such a short time. Well done. The trick is not to keep making the same mistakes. I have been where you are many times, feeling good and forgetting is a risk.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thank you so much to everyone who responded to my post.