Notices

Finally making a change

Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Finally making a change

I started drinking a lot about 10 years ago. For the past few years, every New Year's Eve I have pledged to stop drinking. I finally stopped, for a while at least, in August of last year. My mind was clear and all was great. In November, I bought a fifth of vodka after a long day at work. This was the beginning of my relapse. I have now drunk an entire 1.75 liters of vodka in the past week. Everyday I have woken up with a hangover, and later in the day attempted to resolve the hangover through more vodka. The entire time, I realize just how dumb this is, but I keep doing it. I am not only surprised but even shocked at the power of this liquid over me.
My bottle of vodka is gone, and I will not get another. I have too much to lose- a family, a promising career, a clear mind.
But my career is high-intensity. I have a hard time finding ways to relax and deal with my anxiety when I am not drinking. Anyone have any recommendations? Any other advice or encouragement is always welcome.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll give you some encouragement...I was a lot worse than that and I stopped...Welcome to SR...I guess you are ready to stop for good?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Lid , wise words from Sapling, you can stop now, and reap the benefits, or let the alcohol defeat you again and again
Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you recognize that your drinking is causing you problems and that you need to stop in order to live a full life.

I deal with anxiety by listening to good music, playing with my cats, reading a good book, going for a walk, meditating - anything that can help you to get your mind off things.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lid72 View Post
I am not only surprised but even shocked at the power of this liquid over me.
I got a little freaked out when I got to this point...I like to be in control of things and I had none...Are you open to doing some kind of recovery program..AA...AVRT...SMART...Lifering..something like that?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

As long as you're still alive and kicking it ain't too late to quit your drinking!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their kind and thoughtful comments.
Yeah, I actually had a lot of friends who always drank more than me, really heavy drinkers. One guy who could drink a liter of vodka in a night. So I thought that the amount that I drank was "very normal." In recent years, I have come to the fortunate conclusion that it is not at all normal. I have this compulsion to continue to drink more and more. I often think of vodka, and it draws me to it- especially when I'm facing a lot of pressure.
Your examples and your similar struggles inspire me to believe that I can kick this habit for good.
I also appreciate the relaxation advice. I wanted to get a cat, but not allowed in my apartment building! So I'll just focus on music and walking. I can't wait for the summer sun to come. I actually drink so much more than usual during the dark and depressing winter....
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Try some searches on "relaxation techniques" "meditation" and maybe continue walking with some zumba or other exercises or dancing (it's fun), reading for fun, healthy eating/cooking, take up a pleasant hobby or join a local sport team--bowling, softball, swimming..... Nature hikes, photography, painting. There is a world of "things to do to relax" out there.

Stay stopped! You are worth it! Welcome to SR!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 2 without drinking went very smoothly. Felt clearheaded and got a lot of work done.
I've never had withdrawal or headaches or anything like that. After I stop drinking, it's often a week or two before the lack of withdrawal or other troubles convinces me that I don't have a drinking problem, thereby convincing me that I can drink again. So the ease with which I stop drinking unfortunately seems to make it harder for me to actually stop drinking! Ironic, isn't it?
But this time I've realized that stopping drinking needs to be a long-term, life-long undertaking. Otherwise, my drinking is like a snowball rolling down a hill- it starts small, but only grows ever bigger. So, the short-term is going well- long-term recovery is the real challenge.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times." -Mark Twain
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

I am not only surprised but even shocked at the power of this liquid over me.
I found myself often driving to get alcohol when a big part of me was angry, part of me was resigned and the other part was dying for a drink. That this happened repeatedly after telling myself I was not going to drink tonight. It retrospect maybe I had to do that to get to where I am now (nearly 10 months).

Once I could see it was never going to change, and would get worse I could admit defeat. I do not go to AA, but in my mind your post speaks to the first step. I suggest reading the Big Book (free online).

Learning how to live seems to be what the other steps entail.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

But this time I've realized that stopping drinking needs to be a long-term, life-long undertaking. Otherwise, my drinking is like a snowball rolling down a hill- it starts small, but only grows ever bigger. So, the short-term is going well- long-term recovery is the real challenge.
I like that...Snowball rolling down the hill...It is a deady progressive disease...I guess a snowball could kill you if you were far enough down the hill and waited for it....Long term recovery is a challenge...But it can be done...Ask anybody that's ever worked for it....There are different options...You seem like you have a history of telling yourself ...This is it...Im done!...Only to drink again...I don't think there is anyone on this site that hasn't done that....I let my snowball roll way too long...And it left a path of destruction that took me a long time to clean up...I'm still working on that. But I found out with some help I could stop it...And I did. I'd recommend some kind of recovery program...I mentioned some above...It takes some work..But you can do it....It all depends how willing you are to make the effort. I wish you the best of luck on your sober journey...Keep all those good things you have in your life....Before they're gone and it's too late to get them back.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So the ease with which I stop drinking unfortunately seems to make it harder for me to actually stop drinking! Ironic, isn't it?
Welcome and thanks for writing... I have not had in a drink in 5 days and it's the hardest thing I've ever done. When I read posts like yours it really helps to ground me. I had the same problem... if that's what it is... that it was easy for me to stop drinking and didn't suffer much withdrawl even if I knew it wasn't good for me. That was then. It changed. My body/spirit/mind changed. It got A LOT Worse. I am still suffering severely from withdrawls right now and the only advice I can offer is to reap the rewards of stopping now! You sound like you already are aware you need to quit it. You don't HAVE to suffer from alcohol unless you want to. Check out an AA meeting when you get a chance... you can just sit in the back and listen if you don't want to share. If they call on you and you feel uncomfortable just say you want to listen and learn. Any decent AA group will appreciate that. I wish you the best my friend!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

For the past few years, every New Year's Eve I have pledged to stop drinking. I finally stopped, for a while at least, in August of last year.

My mind was clear and all was great.

In November, I bought a fifth of vodka after a long day at work. This was the beginning of my relapse. I have now drunk an entire 1.75 liters of vodka in the past week.

The entire time, I realize just how dumb this is, but I keep doing it. I am not only surprised but even shocked at the power of this liquid over me.

My bottle of vodka is gone, and I will not get another.

I have a hard time finding ways to relax and deal with my anxiety when I am not drinking. Anyone have any recommendations?
A pledge to not drink, made with sincerity and of a clear mind, followed by another drink, followed by guilt/remorse + the realization that alcohol keeps beating the resolution to not drink......followed by another resolution to not drink.

^^^^ Stopping drinking, of course, requires the notion of stopping.......what works though is what we do AFTER that resolution.

In MY case, that anxiety while not drinking is the manifestation of untreated ALCOHOLISM. Alcoholism, the type I have, isn't treated by JUST "not drinking." Not-drinking, in and of itself, is great but it's nowhere near enough to clear me of the alcoholISM that persists even when I'm not drinking.

I found my solution by working the 12-steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and I've watched a LOT of others do exactly the same thing. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you're interested. (shoot me a pm if you'd like.....posts on this forum get buried quickly and it's easy for me to miss them).