Notices

Newbie Looking for Support

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Looking for Support

Hello,

I've been a functioning alcoholic for over 10 yeras now. I've had enough. I'm only a few days sober but, admittedly, the thought of a life with out alcohol scares me. Deep down, I know it's time stop. I've started going to AA meetings and I'm just trying to find as much positive influence and support as I can. I honestly don't know what the coming weeks and months will bring, but I do know that I'm not going to give up....no matter what. I think my initial sobriety will be a struggle but it's good to know that I can seek counsel from people that have been through this before. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Why does life without alcohol scare you? A life WITH alcohol should scare you (I know it does me). I'm glad to hear you've decided to get sober! Congrats on a few days!!

What's your game plan?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome doogie...You're in a good spot for that...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!
You're making a great start by going to AA.

For me, I don't think about what's going to happen a month, week or year from now. I live in the day. That's all I have. We don't know what'll happen in the future, but by not picking up that first drink today, I know good things will happen.

I wasn't like you. I was a non-fuctioning alcoholic. Two years plus post drinking career, I now can fucntion, and every day without a drink is a blessing.

You can do it! Put as much effort into not drinking as you put into procruing, imbibing and recovering from the drinking . It works. AA works if you really have a desire to stop drinking.

You'll find lot's of support here, and I hope you feel free to post as often as you like.

It's great to have you here, and best to you.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you want some positive feedback on AA...It worked for me and many others on this site...I recommend it...You get out of it what you put into it...But it works and the rewards are wonderful...
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why does it scare me? It's just been a crutch for a long time. I'm still working on a game plan. For now.....be aware of my triggers, stay busy, and go to meetings daily.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It's good to know that there is a supportive community here.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome Doogie!!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by DoogieM View Post
Why does it scare me? It's just been a crutch for a long time. I'm still working on a game plan. For now.....be aware of my triggers, stay busy, and go to meetings daily.
Alcohol was my crutch, my best friend and my worst enemy all at the same time (and for 20 years!). Outside of my family, alcohol was my longest relationship ever. So I get it! But trust me when I say...you can walk on your own 2 feet without assistance from that crutch. You've got a plan so you're already heading in the right direction! I'm happy for you!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome! Keep moving forward!!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand how scary it can be without alcohol, especially after drinking that long. I guess some people don't understand that, or forget what it's like to barely be a few days into recovery. I'm barely going on a week sober and it's gotten easier, trust me. I was scared as hell the first 2 days, knowing that I didn't have any alcohol in the house. Well now I'm happy I don't have alcohol in the house. It's all about baby steps, you'll slowly grow out of that fear. Keep up the good work and welcome to SR!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome doogie

I well remember how frightening the concept of life without alcohol was for me - but you're not alone here. There's a lot of support

good to have you with us

D
Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I honestly don't know what the coming weeks and months will bring, but I do know that I'm not going to give up....no matter what. I think my initial sobriety will be a struggle but it's good to know that I can seek counsel from people that have been through this before. Thanks!
Hey DoogieM, just my 2 cents of course, I'm fifty something yo and drank/used for forty something of them, quit drinkin more times than i care to remember. I think the first two weeks are the hardest, then some time of enjoying feeling good and healthy, then little by little, the devil finally gets to me and i drink (ehm, drank), I wouldn't be scared of sobriety, it's so much easier to feel good not drinking 24/7 than drinking 4 and feeling like krap for the other 20.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Doogie!

I was really scared too, but like you I was determined. Having this forum to come to helped a lot... so did taking things one day at a time, just focusing on the here and now.

Things will get easier and you'll get stronger as you go (even if it doesn't seem like it right now)!