Notices

Do I need to introduce myself?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I need to introduce myself?

I'll make this short. I'm a twenty-something still living at home with mom and dad who has completed several levels of education. I, uh, started drinking casually, smoking a little pot now and then, about 6 years ago, and I think I only realized recently that I might have a problem. I've seen several therapists, been given a boatload of diagnoses from PTSD to major depressive disorder to bipolar disorder to borerline personality and handed even more prescriptions for several different anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-whatevers, but nothing seems to make me feel okay.

On top of that, I've been back and forth between bulimia and anorexia for over 8 years, starting when I was in high school. The different meds affected my eating habits, and I think I first started pot when a friend suggested that it would increase my appetite and chill me out. I became dependent on it to be able to sleep, and without it, I'm awake for days. I also had a knee injury a year ago and was prescribed some muscle relaxers, which I also take to be able to sleep.

So. That's me. I'm not really sure what I want. Maybe just someone to talk to who gets me, you know? I don't have anyone in my life really who knows how to deal with this sort of thing.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well welcome to you. Do what you need on SR feeling safe is important. You take care good things do happen. You will meet greaet people here
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you have concerns about alcohol and marijuana and I wonder if you are thinking of stopping drinking and drugging? I suspect that you will get a clearer idea of other mental issues when you are no longer putting alcohol and drugs into the mix.

I hope that you continue to search for answers to your mental issues and that you find a dr who you can work with.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome. you've found a great place
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Read some posts and I'll bet you can find some support here. Hang in there and don't be afraid to share.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I'm 26 and I moved back in with my parents when I got sober, so there's no shame in that. When I first came here I didn't really have anyone in my life that understood addiction either, so I have found a lot of relief talking to others here on SR. I hope you find the same.

Take care,
Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I think a lot of us thought we were self medicating and found that the game changed around us.

You'll find a lot of support here drwestin

D
Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Were you being honest with your doctors who were prescribing the meds you mentioned about your alcohol and drug use? Taking those meds while using can have adverse effects. It can possibly make your condition(s) much worse. As Anna posted, your best course of action would be to stop using and drinking. Your meds will never function properly as long as you are using while using.

God bless.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome drwestin!

Alcohol was my "medicine" (until it started making everything worse)...... I have underlying issues too and it can be a real challenge getting them sorted out.

I think you'll find a lot of people here who understand. I know how important the support was for me (and still is!) - I couldn't have gotten sober on my own.
Glad you're with us!