Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Another great open talk if you're new or just want a great laugh...

Notices

Another great open talk if you're new or just want a great laugh...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Another new talk for you all today:
XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

Myers R. from Dallas, TX speaking at the first London Primary Purpose Workshop at the Tivoli Ballroom in Brockley, South-East London - December 9th-11th 2005

Talks like this reeeeeeeeeally had me taking a good hard look at what I was doing (and not doing) in recovery. While not exactly the same, my early time in sobriety was like Myers'. I was going to AA....attending meetings....sharing.....learning......but wasn't getting as well as I wanted to be. Talks like this shattered my mistaken belief that, for an alcoholic like me who's suffers from alcoholISM (which affects me whether I'm drinking or not), just not drinking would be enough.

I hope you guys like it as much as I did/do.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Man oh man...there are so many...
Bob Olsen
Don Pritz
Bob Darrall
Mark Houston
Joe Hawk
Myers and Chris Raymer
(most of those guys are in the same line of sponsorship or have been in the same line......)

A couple talks kinda come to mind but I can't put a voice with the words....in my head. If it hits me, I'll let ya know.

I'm thinking Myers, Chris, Mark and Joe are the one's who mention it the most and I can think of one talk of Mark's where he points out the page # where it says "a business that takes no regular inventory eventually goes broke" in the leadup to the 4th step instructions (or however the exact quote is....).
Ditto this...

The echo I got immediately from reading this was from Joe Hawk..."A business which takes no regular inventory goes/usually goes broke...if you are feeling broke...take an inventory." I am sure I didn't get that verbatim but you get the point. From his Santa Monica 2004 workshop, don't ask me what disc, I am half asleep...

...And God knows how many gigs of talks I have downloaded from xa with zero malicious code that I am consciously aware of...

For the ultra paranoid that have not written a fear inventory yet, here is a site in which you can stream most of those speakers DT mentioned...

Welcome to The Spiritual Awakenings Group Website - Audio Downloads

Enjoy...

Now...off to practice integration in my sleep...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Okey-dokey..... I wasn't going to post this here because I figured it was a little "too heavy" for the newcomer's section. I WAS going to put it in the 12-Step section where I usually list these sorts of talks but then i figured, "WHAT THE HELL!! I'll just toss it up to the newcomers and leave it at that - the AA folk will have to find it on their own!" LOL
-enjoy......

I spent the weekend with Don P!

......well, not literally...... (he died several years ago).

Anyway, I moved out of my house to an apartment.....looooooots and lots of packing.....moving....then unpacking. This past weekend was mostly unpacking.

I fired up Don P on my ipod and let it rip. I started out with the talks he did with Tom I {Tom I. from Southern Pines, NC and Don P. from Aurora, CO speaking at a 12 Steps & Service Workshop in Richmond, VA - July 2002} (go to XA - XA-Speakers - The lights are on! , search for "Don P" without the quotes and these talks are about halfway down the page. Each talk is available as either a 32 or 96 kbit/sec speed.......so download every other one) and though I've heard them before, they're wonnnnnnderful. Both of those guys are wonderful story-tellers and odds are, you'll learn something about application of the AA principles to your life.

Next, I went on to the set of recordings from Tanglewood {Don P. from Aurora, CO at the 6th Annual Big Book Weekend at Tanglewood in Camden, ME - June 13th 2003} (go to XA and search for "Tanglewood" and they'll be the only ones that pop up). I'm on these now (second time through them this weekend)....and they're awesome to hear again. Just Don, a mic, and his journey through the book (+ dozens of stories). It's like listening to a long-lost grandpa or uncle who's been in AA a long time, sponsored 100's (if not 1000's) of ppl and has a wealth knowledge.

There's a LOT of stuff up there.......probably 17-18 hours of recordings.....but it's FABULOUS stuff.

(fyi....download it and listen to it as your leisure. You don't need to stream it from the site.)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

That was FANTASTIC! Thank you!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Daytrader,

I just listened to Myers from Dallas. I really needed to hear that talk. I can,t get to my regular women,s meeting because of my work schedule, It is my home group even though I can,t make meetings often.
The talk that I just listened to confirmed a lot of my gut feeling, unvoiced opinions of what a meeting should be be and some of the meetings that were described is a meeting that I used to go to and then stopped. Early in sobriety I was very sensitive, judgmental, intolerant, people easily rubbed me the wrong way and I tried hard to see it for what is was,me, recovering and having these uncomfortable feelings around people.

Nine months on I think I can better evaluate what is good for my recovery. The need to get on with the steps, I am at step 7, I believe I have had a spiritual experience as a result of previous steps but have put things on hold and am not as well as I could be. The speaker made this very clear to me and has given me the impetus I needed to forge on.

What he said about what the newcomer has to say is so true, listening to and reading newcomers posts can be so enlightening for me, they remind me clearly how it was, they are closer to that truth than I am.

The newcomer needs to hear the message of AA loud and clear, recovery is the steps the steps will lead to a spiritual experience that will take away the obsession with alcohol.
If this is too frightening to the newcomer I don,t know how to handle that, this is what AA is all about and I don,t see much point in watering it down.
I sometimes think we skirt around AA on this forum which is fair enough but in the rooms the message of recovery, the solution, should be loud and clear.

Thanks again Daytrader

CaiHong
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
The need to get on with the steps, I am at step 7, I believe I have had a spiritual experience as a result of previous steps but have put things on hold and am not as well as I could be. The speaker made this very clear to me and has given me the impetus I needed to forge on.
AWESOME!!! I was around the same spot......at about the same time.....and Myers' brother Chris did the same for me. I heard one of his talks at the right time on the right day.....and it scared the crap out of me + motivated me to get back into the thick of things (recovery-wise). He saved me from myself.....woke me up.

It warms my heart (and I'm sure it will warm Myers' heart) to know it helped.

--I figued I'd let you guys "cook" with those Don P talks I posted up the other day. There's soooooo much wonderful stuff in there but it's also a lot of material.

If anyone's got any requests......or wants to hear a particular "type" of talk (like a funny one, a spiritual one, a motivating one, one from a woman, etc) lemme know and I'll post a link.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Two great (yet different) talks from a previous thread:

These guys are NOT professional AA speakers.......they're just regular members who've got a gift for talking about alcoholism, how it affects them, and how they recovered and got better.

1. Bob D. from Las Vegas, NV -- August 6, 2005 -- XVIII Beartooth Mountain Conference
Bob D. from Las Vegas, NV : The XVIII Beartooth Mountain Conference in Billings, MT : AA Speaker Tapes

2. :rotfxko Hank J. from Palmdale, CA speaking at NCCAA Spring Conference in Monterey, CA - March 9th 1984
Old 03-14-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

A great talk by Alex S. At the time of the talk he had 13 months.....

Alex S. from Tulsa, OK
Date: August 3, 2002
Event: Going To Any Lengths
Alex S. from Tulsa, OK : The Going To Any Lengths in Tulsa, OK : AA Speaker Tapes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Oh boy.........hold onto your hats for this one.

Finding quality talks is tough.....finding women speakers is tough (mostly men in recovery, yanno)......so finding quality women speakers is reeeally tough. But this one......wow......she's awesome!

The talk is a CA talk (Cocaine Anonymous)

Layla N - SOCA 2009 13th Annual Convention
November 6-8, 2009, Toronto, Canada
Talks By Other Speakers on Alcohol & Addiction (there are only 3 talks on the page and Layla's is in the bottom left portion of the page.......you can stream it from the site or right-click and download it).

Lemme know if you guys like this sort of talk or not so much.......if you get something good out of it or not... K? thx...bye.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Earl H. has a good message of hope, thank you for your suggestions...they are good. I listened to a partial speaker tape of Scott L, from Nashville and would recommend listening to his message. And, I will check these out later and let you know.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Woops.....WARNING...... The "Layla" talk I posted above is NOT the one I meant to post. It's a good one but it's really more of an AA / CA specific type of talk. Anyway......maybe there's a reason I posted it by mistake - hope you like it.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I have been listening to Earl about every other day. He has a real gift for getting the message across and doing it with humor, which I love. Thank you for sharing this.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Woops.....WARNING...... The "Layla" talk I posted above is NOT the one I meant to post. It's a good one but it's really more of an AA / CA specific type of talk. Anyway......maybe there's a reason I posted it by mistake - hope you like it.
I listened to this Layla talk, and though (obviously) our methods differ, several things she talked about nevertheless resonated. She speaks of the '4th dimension' a lot, and is obviously Christian, which isn't my thing, but I think it would be worthwhile for people to listen to this talk. Her mention of Christianity and G-d did not bother me in the least. This is coming from a hardened atheist, and I don't mean 'atheist' as in the failed Christian 'no Yahweh' variety commonly spoken of in the rooms. I mean atheist as in the no deities, no heaven, no hell, no afterlife, no soul, no spirit of the universe, no spirituality, and most definitely, no 'higher power' variety.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

great speech

Thank you for posting this link. It touched me enough to join and try to stay sober.
It made me think and reflect and laugh and cry.
I used to be a grateful alcoholic and now I am just a hurting one.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome, Clors

I know exactly what you are saying.

I'm happy you joined - stick around
Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

How cool, Clors. Welcome. There is lots of sage advice here at SR. Happy to see you on the path with us!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Ok kiddies....I've been slackin'

Been a while since I posted another kick-butt talk to listen to.

Here's one I kinda stumbled into without really looking for one......and it's become one of my favorites. Steve's got a LOT of years sober at the time of the talk but he's also got a REAL down-to-earth way of putting things that's informational AND pretty funny.

Steve B. from Mount Kisco, NY speaking at Neskirkja in Reykjavik, Iceland - September 16th 2004
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hi friends!

Here's another talk for you all. Bob D. from Las Vegas.

Bob was a horrible relapser. He just could NOT get sober. Long story short, he had a difficult beginning but, thanks to making some amends that he did NOT want to make, ended up becoming fabulously successful .....

I truly love his style of speaking too....totally down to earth and and everyday sort of guy......but FULL of wisdom.

Enjoy: XA-Speakers - The lights are on!