Notices

Made it through a Friday night!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through a Friday night!

I can't remember the last time I didn't drink on a Friday night. I always treated it as some sort of reward to myself for making it through the week.

Last night I went home and helped my wife make dinner and we ate as a family, like we usually do. But afterwards I didn't crack a beer or try to slip out to the bar.

We talked and watched our son play. Then after we put him down for the night we watched a movie together in bed before falling asleep.

Woke up today with no hangover or guilty conscience. It felt amazing.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds great man. Last night was my first sober Friday in a long time too. Did something similar as well, minus the kid, we don't have any yet.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's pretty awesome. Something I've really been enjoying since quitting drinking is to just take a minute and step back and think about how freakin good it feels to not be feeling the effects from the night before.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well done! Sober Friday nights and sober weekends are the best. I used to nearly black out from Friday night until Monday morning every week. Now that I'm sober I feel like I gained two extra days in the week that I lost to drinking.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go Guy!! Each week, it gets easier. Just passed my 7th Fri nite sober. I didn't have one inkling to drink. The first few were awful.
Just stay strong. You just proved to yourself, that you don't HAVE to drink.
You can unwind, naturally & enjoy it more.
Your family will appreciate having a present husband & father.
You're setting a good example for them.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i'm three and a half weeks in, and i must say it is awesome to wake up in the middle of the night at 2am and realize...1) i'm not out at some bar spending money that i definitely cannot afford to be spending and 2) that im actually clearheaded and can think logically...3) this is what normal ppl feel like all the time and i must have been at a severe disadvantage all these years.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Friday nights are the hardest nights for me but I sure feel great on Saturday morning! Good for you!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Knew you could, thisguy! I remember how challenging those first weekends were, but we adapt - and learn to love the no-hangover, guilt-free Saturdays. You're doing great.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm having my 3rd weekend sober- haven't gone this long in about 10 years. Enjoying movies and having ice cream (don't even have to feel guilty since I won't be having alcohol calories AND I will work out tomorrow since I won't be hung over!). It feels really, really good not to be hung over in the mornings. Have a good one!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Sober Friday nights are great! So are sober Saturdays! SNL is a lot funnier when you haven't been drinking!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober mornings are by far one of the best things ever!! I love the energy I have too, instead of dragging all day.

Congrats!