Notices

Hello SR

Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello SR

I've been trolling here for a while and decided to create an account the other day.

I guess it's my time start the journey to recovery as some recent events have serendipitously gotten me to this point which includes creating my account.

Among my other ailments, my concentration is shot and I missed another deadline at work and had to ask the boss for some additional time. Also had to tell him that I need to get some help 'cause I'm an alcoholic. Ironically, it's the first time I've called myself that and felt somewhat weird doing it.

Since I'm new here and starting to change my ways (drank last night so not sober yet) any advice would be appreciated. Don't really like the concept of AA and I'm finishing the final chapters of Allen Carr's "EasyWay" book tonight.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

4TheFamily - Welcome! It's great to have you here with us. Not feeling alone anymore is what really helped me. No one in my life got it.

I avoided calling myself an alcoholic all my life. When I finally did, it was very freeing. There was a sense of relief. There could be no more trying to moderate or control what I drank - or how often. It was over. Early on, I spent a bit of time feeling sorry for myself and resentful, but it passed. Hope and encouragement are what I found by joining SR. I hope you'll feel the same.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site 4TheFamily...Is your job going to cover sending you to inpatient rehab...or some kind of outpatient program? Some will do that..
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My appointment with employee assistance is next week on Thursday so I'll get a better understanding of what's offered then.

The first few visits to EAP were months ago and to only admit that I was "stressed" and aware of my "consuming more alcohol than I was comfortable with". This time the discussion is going to be different and I'll be admitting that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's like telling them I don't have a problem stopping...It's staying stopped that gets me..I was in serious denial for a long time with that...I think I was trying to drink myself better...You mention you're not crazy about AA..?...Because that may be what they recommend for you..And I can tell you I was a hopeless chronic alcoholic that wasn't crazy about AA either...And it saved my life....So I hope you don't shut the door on that completely..
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR 4thefamily

If you're into a more secular approach I recommend our secular forum to you - lots of ideas and good reading down there

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the ahow
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hey 4TheFamily. You won't regret quitting the booze. It's the best thing I ever did. Glad you're here.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

4thefamily,

Welcome! Great to have you join us!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, I don't quite know if I've given up alcohol but I broke the cycle on Sunday that was causing me to drink. I watched some movies that inspired me to take some different actions and that night I didn't drink anything. Woke up the following morning feeling better than I would've if I had drank. Went to the doctor who said that my weight and blood pressure were perfect but it would be a few days before the blood work was in. So, I've gotta wait to see how the liver & kidneys are doing but after 3 nights of not drinking I feel as though I'm MUCH more alert and have a lot more energy.

I'm inspired to keep this trend going although I have to admit that I had a bit of a craving last night. I read a little, still trying to finish Allen Carr's book, but then went straight to bed without stopping at the cabinet and getting a quick drink to get me to sleep. The only thing that's left in the house in my wife's wine but I'm glad I didn't give into temptation and pop that cork.

I'm taking it day by day and thankful for the days I've been given!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a great start 4thefamily

D
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR