Notices

Honesty

Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Goatlady. Listen to your father.

99.999999999% of the time - with identical applicants for employment (or roof contractors, or babysitters, or bosses, or limo drivers, or teachers, or whoever that's vying for a job or a paycheck...) and the ONLY differentiating thing between the two is that one has a substance abuse problem - the one with the perceived LOWEST RISK, the one WITHOUT a substance abuse problem is going to be chosen. And for any of us who have been around the block to say anything different is being disingenuous.

You may not like what I'm saying but at least I'm telling you like it is. Does this mean there is no chance for you if you tell the world you're an alcoholic? NO. But I assume that with anything you do in life you will want to weight the risks. Is this risk too much for you and your future? Yes? No? Ultimately that is up to you.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I guess I need to make clear that I have already made it public and can't take it back. Also, I live and work on a farm with my husband. I don't think he's gonna send me packing...he is my greatest supporter. Should I ever have to seek employment elsewhere, I am sure I would be very discrete about my past. The funny thing is that I used to work for the post office part-time when I was drinking and went in to work several times very hung over. Now that I'm recovered and clean...my employment opportunities are shot? Ironic.

My blogging now consists mainly of my struggles and my victories while I am recovering. It helps me to purge and is what I'm led to do by my Higher Power. I am quite discrete in not revealing very personal issues or anything that could bite me back. If it does bite me, it would be by the "haters" and I really don't care what they have to say about me anyway.

Thank you all for your comments. It has definitely given me food for thought. I really like this forum for discussion. Glad I found it.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

whew! glad to hear it! i wish you the best of luck!! SR is a great resource for support and recovery!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Goatlady View Post
I am sure I would be very discrete about my past.
You might be, but you have ot understand that the internet is not. It never forgets, or goes away, or is erased unfortunately. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by Goatlady View Post
The funny thing is that I used to work for the post office part-time when I was drinking and went in to work several times very hung over.Now that I'm recovered and clean...my employment opportunities are shot? Ironic.
OMgoodness that is funny. You are so right. But ironically, I think it's true.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It may certainly come back to bite you in the butt if you apply for a career type job. The job I have now, they ran a background check on me, even searched for any emails connected to my name and tried to view my facebook page etc. I think it's better to keep your problems to the ones who need to know (family, close friends, AA sponsor) etc. No one else needs to know.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Goatlady

I think everyone needs to be careful what they put online, not just alcoholics and addicts. Employers are vetting people by their FaceBook profiles now.

I think everyone needs to be a little careful with what they say - but with a few simple precautions, I think you can maintain anonymity and share your experience, at least at the public internet audience level

D
Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

^^ Dee, I want to eloquent like you when I grow up!