Notices

Can I just share my happiness and joy?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Can I just share my happiness and joy?

Cliff notes version:

Went to my first AA meeting when I was 19 as ordered by the court for a DUI. I wasn't interested in doing anything, but i knew this was what my mom and dad were and what I probably was myself.

I went to AA on my own when I was 23 in the midst of an abusive relationship and drinking 50 packs of beer and doing too much cocaine. I got a sponsor my first meeting and started working the steps. I went to meetings maybe once a week sometimes not even. I never shared, I always left as soon as the meeting was over. I got to step 9 and after 9 months went back out.

I just came back to AA a month ago, almost 6 months sober. I got a sponsor after a week. I acknowledged my comfort in small meetings and sought them out. I share at almost every meeting. I smile and say hello to people I don't know. I ask one woman for her number at every meeting, if there's someone new which there usually is. I call these numbers and talk freely about my troubles. I also ask them how they are doing and listen.

I pray to God and consciously catch myself getting wrapped up in negative thinking and turn it over to God.

I am so excited for what's to come and I had my best AA experience to date today.

I was at my first big meeting tonight. I went with an AA friend, my closest one so far. My old sponsor was there we caught up it was nice. The topic was how we came to believe in our HP. I shared! In a big meeting! I was heart pounding but I raised my hand and said my name. I talked for a minute or two and got more nervous as I spoke and lost my train of thought at the end but finished my thought and said thanks.

I turned to a woman after the meeting and said Hi. She said, "thank you so much for your share, I related so much I started tearing up."

What what what? You were affected positively by what I said?

All this to say that I feel this time I have approached my recovery pretty fearlessly and wow to know that I said something even somewhat profound to someone else just makes all the nervousness worth it!

I wish all newcomers the best and whatever program of recovery you work, just work it!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you are truly happy in life right now, good for you, keep up the good work!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to read things are going so well LLG - congratulations

D
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for letting us know. Life’s just a bit tough for me right now. What you wrote kinda made my day. Hope you have more of those moments, and so does she.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post

I just came back to AA a month ago, almost 6 months sober. I got a sponsor ..... I share at almost every meeting. I smile and say hello to people I don't know. I ask one woman for her number at every meeting, if there's someone new which there usually is. I call these numbers and talk freely about my troubles. I also ask them how they are doing and listen.

I pray to God and consciously catch myself getting wrapped up in negative thinking and turn it over to God.
I loved the whole post but quoted my favorite part.......and in that quote, I underlined the stuff I think is the most important. Doing that stuff.......stuff you prob don't want to do or enjoy: Talking honestly is sometimes uncomfortable, saying hi and smiling to ppl you don't know can be uncomfortable, and getting THEIR #'s and calling them is sometimes a pain in the butt (sometimes we like to think giving new ppl our # is enough......but they never call, do they?).

You've a "giver".....and that's a GREAT thing. So many ppl come to AA and expect to be "takers" and stay sober......they rarely do. The ppl I see who seem to be the happiest when it's their time to talk they talk openly and honestly vs BSing everyone by saying what they think the group wants to hear, they say hi to ppl, they chair meetings, they do open talks when asked, they offer to give rides to meetings to the folks with no drivers license, they offer to sponsor newcomers before the newcomer has to work up the courage to ask, they listen to other ppl, they try to be kind and forgiving....... they're doing God's will/work --> they're helping others FIRST rather than worrying about themselves and their own problems first.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a great share LiveLikeGold6...Sounds like you're following the path...

This is like...How it works...

I just came back to AA a month ago, almost 6 months sober. I got a sponsor after a week. I acknowledged my comfort in small meetings and sought them out. I share at almost every meeting. I smile and say hello to people I don't know. I ask one woman for her number at every meeting, if there's someone new which there usually is. I call these numbers and talk freely about my troubles. I also ask them how they are doing and listen.

And this is like...How it doesn't work...

I went to AA on my own when I was 23 in the midst of an abusive relationship and drinking 50 packs of beer and doing too much cocaine. I got a sponsor my first meeting and started working the steps. I went to meetings maybe once a week sometimes not even. I never shared, I always left as soon as the meeting was over. I got to step 9 and after 9 months went back out.

There is a lot of wisdom there LiveLikeGold6....Just keep sharing it.