Notices

new to the site

Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the site

hi, as i am new here, not sure what to say other than, i need help and support frompeople who know how hard it is. I didnt have a drink for three days but was so irritable, nasty almost, that i bought a bottle of wine onthe way home from work and drank most of it. Now i feel so guilty, disappointed in myself and sad. I was sober for a long timebut as we know stuff happens and alcohol eased the pain of it all. now i want to be sober again so here i am.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome sandy...You're in the right place...Let me ask you. What were you doing when you were sober for a long time...Any program?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Back to day 1 tomorrow. What do you think caused you to drink? Any particular reason you can think of?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sandy! I felt the same way in the early days of quitting, but I knew I had to stay the course. My life was in danger every time I picked up, & unpredictable things happened. I had to give up the idea that I could just have 'a few' to calm my nerves or improve my mood.

I drank all my life, and now have over 4 yrs. sober - thanks mainly to SR and the amazing people who have supported me. I hope you'll feel the same. Proud of you for joining and wanting a better life.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sandy

Early recovery is hard - having the support I found here really helped me get through those early weeks.

I know you'll find a lot here to help you too

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome sandy!

Believe me, we get it....... This is just way too hard to do on our own. I'm glad you're here and I'll know you'll get the same kind of support I have. Keep posting (and reading, too) - you can do this.......
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Sandy to SR, I found doing it alone is hard if not down right impossible, lot's of help and support here. Look into a recovery program of some sort, counseling, you can get your life back.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile thanks to you all.

Not sure what triggered the drinking again, but i was in AA here,but i found that most peple wentthere for a big whine about not drinking, why i cant etc. I didnt find that especially helpful. I did ok on my own for quite some time and then i began the big whine, why cant I? it seems to me i am not happy of late,and my little drink inthe evening is what i look forward to. That would be ok, if it was a littledrink but oftentimes not. So here i am. This weekend i amgoing out to buy up the herbal tea section inthe supermarket,will keep you posted andthank you to all who offered support, i can do it too. Day 1.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Hi Sandy! We've all been there. Being tired of the vicious cycle is why I am sober today.
You've come to a good place!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by sandy52 View Post
i was in AA here,but i found that most people went there for a big whine about not drinking, why i cant etc. I didnt find that especially helpful.
Ah...... you found what I found early on..... crappy AA meetings. Yup, they sure exist. As you know, nobody's forced to be in AA (well, the courts do force some folks - I was - but generally most ppl aren't forced to attend) and nobody's force to work the program....which is nice on one hand. On the other hand, when you get there looking for help, you're not guaranteed to find ppl who take it seriously and actually work the program.

Good.....no, GREAT AA absolutely IS out there though. You're going to have to put in a little effort to find it though. I found a handful of strong meetings by asking the strongest ppl I could find at the meetings where they thought the best ones were. I also made announcements at each meeting that I wanted to go to more meetings but couldn't drive (multiple DUIs) even though I was embarrassed just about every time I did it. The middle-of-the-road members never offer to pick you up...the stronger ones DO....and they usually know where the strongest meetings are.

Don't get me wrong....going to meetings probably won't cure your alcoholism.....but they're a good start. They're a great place to find ppl who've found a solution to alcoholism, to get the guidance you need to find that solution yourself, and to teach you how to keep sober and happy for good.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sandy52 View Post
Not sure what triggered the drinking again, but i was in AA here,but i found that most peple wentthere for a big whine about not drinking, why i cant etc. I didnt find that especially helpful.
I wouldn't either...I guess I was blessed to find one that recovery is the main topic...It's like medicine for me. Just curious if you got a sponsor and worked the 12 steps?....I keep trying to find something wrong with this program...And I can't...I think that's what amazes me about it...And the reason I ask..
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Sandy, there are many different programs out there for people who seek a life of sobriety. I personally have chosen the AVRT method. But, choose AA, choose AVRT, choose Lifering, etc.. etc.... the goal is to get sober and I certainly believe there is value in choosing something to help guide you.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome home! SR is a great way to begin a new sober journey!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I woke up this morning and went to this site right away. I can do this with your help. Unfortunately here in shanghai the AA community is very small and no matter the meetings, you meet all the same people, so that being said, i have done it before and i will do it again. there are some amazing people on this site, and reading inspirational messages, doing my meditation, being true to myself will get me through, thank you.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sandy!!! You will find alot of support here!! Lind
Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((Sandy))) - Welcome to SR!! I've learned a lot from people here who have different beliefs, ideas, but I appreciate the variety and knowing people here "get" me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good Luck Sandy..I am new here also and the people here are kind and knowledgable. I now how hard it is and it does get better. I still have a long way to go but just keep focused. Hang in there!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Wekcome Sandy!

Those first few days are the worst. I prepared myself for my first week probably better than most people can: I was waiting to get into rehab and I had to detox, so I went to my parent's house and laid on the couch, reading and watching tv and sleeping. I was out on leave from work. Things were really stacked in my favor.

Prior to that, however, I had many failed attempts at getting sober, most just like you described. I think you really just have to take it one second at a time for those first several days, but it does get much easier after that. I think you really need to put together a plan to be successful though, and do what oyu can to set yourself up for success.

Best wishes!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Quite honestly, where i am right now, which is "doing great", i would rather be of help, than seek help, being of service to others is an amazing healing journey of its own. Thanks to all of you for going through this journey together. Three days sober and i know i can make it a day at a time.