Notices

Hello

Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

This is my first time here so here I go.

I rang AA’s last thursday after drinking every 2 to 3 days over a 3 week period. At the time I rang I felt so desperate to change. I have been drinking on and off for 14 years and slowly the sober days have become less and less. I never drink 2 days in a row however once I stop the only thing that stops me drinking is falling asleep. Tonight I arranged to go to AA's however when I got there the lady I arranged to meet oustide wan't there. I was so nervous I went home. Not sure what to do now maybe I'll go with my partner when an open meeting is on.

All I know is I have been sober for 8 days now and do not want to ever go back to that darl lonely place I was in last week, or to be honest most drinking days and hung overs ones too.

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

Lizzi
Go to AA, you may not like the meeting you get at, but dont use that as an excuse not to go back , or find another meeting.
The drink wants you to stop at the door and do maybes.
It gets better when you stop, you can do it with support, and AA and SR can offer that support
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Double Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr Lizza.......I can relate, my knees were knocking the first time I went to AA. I hesitated in the parking lot. However, I figured this can't be any worse than the way I was feeling. Maybe, just maybe I will get the help I need. I gathered my nerve and walked forward into the meeting. It was a relief to be welcomed so warmly.

Please don't let fear stop you from getting the help you so bravely reached out for.

Best Wishes To You!
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's OK to be nervous Lizzi...We've all been there...You'll meet some great people there...They want to help you...If you feel better going with your partner that's fine...Just make sure you go...It's a good way to get out of that dark place...I know...I was there. Keep hanging around here and posting...Ask questions if you have them....Welcome. You're in a good place.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Lizzi

I'm sorry things didn't work out the first time but it's great you'll give it a second chance - that way you can see whether it's for you or not

D
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR Lizzi. Alcoholism is progressive. You may not be drinking every day now, but I didn't start off drinking all-day, everyday either. I know how nerve-wracking it is to go to that first AA meeting (I'm assuming it was your first time, though you didn't specifically say so), but remember that everyone in that room had a "first day" too and most of them remember what it's like. Don't let your nerves stand in the way of your recovery.

--Fenris.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah it was my first time been worrying all day and I lost my nerve. I am going to go on saturday I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the comments its good to know im not the only the person who was nervous.

Its a very scarry thought to never be able to drink again but then saying that even more scarry to live a life hating myself.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just don't drink for today....Lizzi...Have a good meeting and keep checking in...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Lizzi

I'm in the same position. I was going to go to my first AA meeting tonight but found out its a women only meeting and I wanted to go with my husband. I plan on going tomorrow but can't help but feel that i'll think of excuse not to go tomorrow. I know I need to go more than anything so hopefully around this time tomorrow i will be announcing that I went to my first meeting. Congrats on the 8 days sober. This is my first day sober today.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holly7 View Post
I plan on going tomorrow but can't help but feel that i'll think of excuse not to go tomorrow.
No excuses Holly....You'll love it...And meet some really cool people..