Notices

Hello

Old 03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm scared, like you can't imagine, that I already have liver damage but I'm too frightened to go to the doctor.
I can imagine.
The thing is, if you have damage, the sooner you find out about it the better.

But you might find, as I and a lot of us here have, that there's actually nothing wrong - and you can set your mind at ease

It's worth facing your fear and going

D
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can imagine.
The thing is, if you have damage, the sooner you find out about it the better.

But you might find, as I and a lot of us here have, that there's actually nothing wrong - and you can set your mind at ease

It's worth facing your fear and going

D
And, it is not a death sentence to have some degree of liver damage. But you can then be mindful of many things to protect it along the way. More sensible eating, foods that are really good for it, etc... My liver issues are from a combination of factors: Obesity, high cholesterol and triglycerides, diabetes, and poured fuel on the flames with alcohol. I actually do not have a diagnosis of alcoholic liver disease. My hepatologist believes it is primarily the "metabolic syndrome". I actually have been given permission to have the occasional glass or wine when "out with friends on the weekend" by my hepatologist. But "no habitual use." His words in quotes. However, I have quickly realized I fall too easily into habitual use whenever I try to have the occasional glass or two.

My greatest struggle is giivng up the notion of being a "normal occasional drinker."

Anyway, just sharing for the benefit of those questioning liver disease and afraid to find out. It is scary, but you can do something about it. and even when I fail at true sobriety, I have to say, the knowledge of my liver certainly has greatly reduced my consumption, and keeps me in some degree of check.

Unfortunately, it was not really good advice to receive for me, to hear I *can* safely drink occasionally. It relieved alot of the fear that kept me abstinent. Now I have to really be sober for the right reasons. Fear alone will not work forever, I have learned. It is much harder to stop simply because I choose to stop, versus when I felt I had no choice.

But choosing it and succeeding is so much more fullfilling.

Welcome and good luck.

rochele
Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dee, your advice makes good medical sense but I am still too scared to go.

I'm scared that if I go and have the blood tests and they show that I have liver damage, that my doctor will know how much I have been drinking and I will feel the most terrible, awful shame - and once it's on my medical notes, it will be there forever. Might affect insurance etc in the future. And what are they going to do? Tell me to stop drinking. I know that already.

I'm also scared that the blood tests would show no damage. I am in my forties and I have been alcohol-free for fifteen days now. This is literally the longest that I have ever not drunk for (sorry - clumsy English!). Ever! If the blood tests show no damage, I might think I'm fine to just "drink occasionally" and so begins the slippery slope. I honestly feel that the main reason I have been successful this time is because of the wish to heal my liver. I guess I'm not ready to find out that there's nothing wrong with my liver yet.

In my mind, I'm hoping to go three months without alcohol, then get tested, and hope for a normal result. I can then assume that I HAD damaged my liver with booze but that the three abstemious months have healed the damage. I can't think further than that. One day at a time is good for me when you're in that day but I feel safer having a slightly longer plan too.

This probably all sounds completely potty - I guess it's a game of balance that I'm playing with myself - probably doesn't make much sense to anyone else.

Thank you for taking an interest and the time to post. I really appreciate it. Wish you a lovely Sunday.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Fresh Air,

I have the same fear about going to the doctor about anything that could go on my 'permanent record' (is that a hangup from school??) - I've never seen a GP about depression or my alcoholism, and I have lied on every single medical questionnaire and form I've ever filled in. You're right - completely potty but makes absolute sense to me.

Which pretty much supports the theory that most addicts are a bit weird....

Hope your day goes well. I'm on day one today, am glued to SR for the duration!

Still
xx
Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello Still,

I'm thinking of you on your Day One. Hang on in there and stick with it chum.

XXX