Notices

Be thankful if you have AA

Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Purplecatlover,

Yep, Sapling is one of my faves too. Actually, I love everyone on SR. This is the first time that I have ever been able to "talk" to others that understand at any time of day. I am 6.5 months sober, and am quitting cigarettes tomorrow. So I will be feeling your pain...I will be right there with you. I also am going to start AA soon. I am beginning to see that stopping drinking is only part of it. I respect your approach though - that is what I was trying to do, so good luck with it. Just go if you begin to really think you are going to relapse, don't wait until after. Good luck with everything.Take care.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'll tell you something PCL...When I gave up...Surrendered to alcohol...I was walking dead....Mentally...Physically and Spiritually shot. AA happened to be what I tried and it worked for me. If I had tried Rational Recovery and that worked...Or SMART and that worked...Or standing on my head...And that worked....That's what I would be pushing....I don't get anything from AA for offering a program that works... to people...The way I look at it...Maybe I can offer some hope to someone that doesn't have any...That this thing works. Do I like to see people try it and like it?...Very much. When you get to a point in your drinking career that you think the only way out is down....Even a seed of hope can save your life. So that's what I know...That's what I offer....Anyway that someone can rid their lives of alcohol is fine by me....Too many people die from this disease...I went to a funeral yesterday with about 20 people from my homegroup for a newcomer's 21 year old son....Killed in an alcohol related car accident...I saw him get his 30 day chip last week...We were about a quarter of the people there...I didn't even know the guy...I gave him a hug going into the funeral home...And he said...I don't even you...I told him...We're family....That's why I like AA. We're family.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

SR is family, too!
Good luck w/quiting smoking SIssy. It is hard but after 3-4 days, the physical is over just mental.

Sap, I know why you do what you do. AA saved your life & that is fantastic. It saved mine 13 yrs ago.
I am completely open to it, if I can't do this alone.
It dawned on me why I was so lonely today, I hid my addiction so well.
I know the people that know me, would be shocked. Which is why drinking made me even more miserable. I felt like a 2 faced hypocrite. Sweet little church girl is a falling down drunk.
Always acting like everything is hunky dory, when inside I was utterly miserable.
NOW, I don't have to act.
I feel God gave me a second chance, really a third chance, to get myself together & I will not take this time lightly.
Thanks for letting me ramble on
I guess it's a blessing in disguise
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
SR is family, too!
No question about that...You can ramble any time you want PCL...
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And I'm sorry about your friends son. I hope he will honor his life by staying sober.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

He was at the meeting this morning....I feel for this guy. I didn't know him...Said hello to him...He is new,
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, hopefully he'll keep coming back. Prayers for you both!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Since we're picking on you, Sapling, I just wanted to say I was very admiring of the calm and non-judgmental help you were giving another member in a different thread. You're very good at it and I bet I speak for everyone when I say your posts are great. Thank you so much.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If there not good...Dee get's rid of them pretty quickly...You must just miss those.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
If there not good...Dee get's rid of them pretty quickly...You must just miss those.