Notices

I am starting over again

Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am starting over again

I am not a newcomer I have been here before, I am 3 days sober today, after hitting a really bad bottom sunday. I put my kids in danger and my life. I made some really bad choices while under the influence, but God gave me another chance and I am not going to use this chance to get clean and stay clean. I have failed before, but I am going to try hard this time. I have to or my husband is not giving me another chance. I keep telling myself I am not a bad person, but I feel awful about what I did. I belive God was with me and gave me this chance to make start living right, this was ahuge wake up call. and I probly dont have to many chances left
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hate to say it..But welcome back...Hopefully the last time....What have you tried and not tried in the past...To stop for good?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am day 3 as well!!! Good luck in your sobriety!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

If God gives us another chance, it's really undesirable to ignore it. I truly believe He has works He wants each of us to accomplish. He gave you another chance to do that. Embrace it.

And above all, don't make any decisions that may put your children in jeopardy. That's never what God wants, and if we think carefully and even pray on our decisions, we will very rarely be led astray.

This can be your LAST DAY 3 EVER!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Double Post. My bad. Silly Comcast internet.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally had to want sobriety for myself.

"frothy emotional appeal" from my husband did not work.

I have about 14 weeks and I go to AA every day, sometimes twice. You have to be willing to do some work to stay sober. At least that is my experience.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Igottobe - Maybe that was the push you needed to really convince yourself. I had to be shown over & over that I had no control over what happened once I picked up that first drink. Thankfully, we both made it out alive - and you can make it stick this time.

You never have to feel this horrible again - here's where it can stop forever. We're here for you.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by igottobesober View Post
I am not a newcomer I have been here before, I am 3 days sober today, after hitting a really bad bottom sunday. I put my kids in danger and my life. I made some really bad choices while under the influence, but God gave me another chance and I am not going to use this chance to get clean and stay clean. I have failed before, but I am going to try hard this time. I have to or my husband is not giving me another chance. I keep telling myself I am not a bad person, but I feel awful about what I did. I belive God was with me and gave me this chance to make start living right, this was ahuge wake up call. and I probly dont have to many chances left
Well there you go! You have choices and 3 days ago you chose a new way of life! Congratulations on that!! And no, your not a bad person albeit until 3 days ago you did make a lot of bad decisions. Glad to hear you're committed!

My motto: I will never drink again. I will never change my mind.

Glad you're here!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see you trying again, especially after reading your past posts.

Is there some rational reason why after all that you would yet believe you need do nothing but decide not to drink and that it has the slightest chance of working out this time for you?

That's the easiest way of course. But, it appears to be ineffective for you.

If you were to try something more inconvenient than another ironclad and irreversible firm decision then your results might improve, since this time improved results are important to you.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back igottobesober

I got a second chance too - I'm still running with that - you can too - we justy have to be prepared to do what it takes

There's a lot of support here

D
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
I'm glad to see you trying again, especially after reading your past posts.

Is there some rational reason why after all that you would yet believe you need do nothing but decide not to drink and that it has the slightest chance of working out this time for you?

That's the easiest way of course. But, it appears to be ineffective for you.

If you were to try something more inconvenient than another ironclad and irreversible firm decision then your results might improve, since this time improved results are important to you.
“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” Michelangelo

There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing that easy and simple and convenient ironclad and irreversible firm decision to not drink.

"I will never drink again. I will never change my mind". Sorry I took the easy and convenient way out langkah.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're not a bad person igottobesober....You're a good person...That like many of us here...Suffer from alcoholism...If you don't like that name...Call it what you want....There are people here that have been where you are...And got out of that nightmare...People that are willing to share with you ways you can too....If you want to talk about this...Maybe we can do something...What you are going through is nothing we haven't seen or done.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back, if you ever need anything, even just to vent please don't hesitate, I'm here with so many others.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

S4MT, whatever is effective in staying sober the rest of our lives is the best possible avenue for every alcoholic, and those I know well do the absolute minimum to live without having to take another drink, though their minimum of continuing effort would likely be considered extreme to you. But, it's worked extremely well for them for 30-50 years so they're unlikely to alter it. Results are what this is about, not preferences.

Since what you did/are doing is working then why feel any need to apologize for your success?

Were I to stay comfortably sober on a lick and a prayer and no action at all then I promise you that would be my path, with nothing more added. It didn't.

When one level of involvement proves to be not enough the reasonable thing is to ramp it up to the next level, and to keep doing that until the results are satisfactory.

Unless you get drunk again your results from your level of effort and involvement is obviously very satisfactory. The OP has been unsatisfied with her results, hence my suggestion regarding seeking something different than what produces the unsatisfactory results for her.

Hope that explains things well enough.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Since what you did/are doing is working then why feel any need to apologize for your success?
Ummmm, I was being facetious?

But I'm sure everyone who has chosen the same method as me will appreciate knowing that you think we took the easy way out. Because it was oh-so easy to just stop. Unlike everyone else who goes to AA - now that's HARD. But us, nahhhhh easy peasy.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragemnt, I have had struggled with substance abuse since I was 12 years old. The longest times sober were when I was pregnant with my 2 children. other than that I have drank in moderation at times, then lose control and hit bottom like I did this time. I am committed to not drinking at all this time. I think this is what I needed to push me over the edge. And I thank God for this chance. I know this is a good place to come for support, thanks, I look forward to reading and sharing some of my experiences to maybe help others. Its nice to know I am not alone. and not be judged.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Thanks for the encouragemnt, I have had struggled with substance abuse since I was 12 years old. The longest times sober were when I was pregnant with my 2 children. other than that I have drank in moderation at times, then lose control and hit bottom like I did this time. I am committed to not drinking at all this time. I think this is what I needed to push me over the edge. And I thank God for this chance. I know this is a good place to come for support, thanks, I look forward to reading and sharing some of my experiences to maybe help others. Its nice to know I am not alone. and not be judged.
Same here - longest sober was when I was pregnant and nursing. You have the strength to do this! Glad you're here!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nobody is going to judge you here...It's nice you want to help others...I think helping yourself should be your main goal right now....Basically...All you have tried is stopping on your own?....Because it's not working...Have you tried a program of Recovery?...AA...Smart...Rational Recovery?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I havent went to meetings and am not closed to that route, just havent went to any yet. I have went to therpy and that helped me deal with some underlying issues, but stopped going when I thought I had things undercontrol. I have always been the person that takes care of everybody else and puts me last. I am working on putting me first more.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I havent went to meetings and am not closed to that route, just havent went to any yet.

What's the holdup?...Can you get to one today??...I drank for 35 years...Lost everything I had...Wife and house included...Damn near got killed by it....I went to a meeting...Followed what they told me to do...And I stopped. You think that might be something you would be willing to try?