Notices

some1 raised a good question about withdrawal symptoms

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

Question some1 raised a good question about withdrawal symptoms

so i was reading a thread about withdrawals n im wondering is that something i need to worry about as far as serious side effects? i drank typically 2-3 glasses of port (18%) most nights, but i have also gone days without drinking anything at all when i had something to do extra early in the morning (or felt sick from the night before). I am currently on Wellbutrin to control my anxiety attacks and they say to not stop drinking suddenly if ur on it, but i certainly do not want that to be an excuse. Ive never had the shakes or anything if I didnt drink, ive always drank out of boredom,anxiety,loneliness. I know you guys arent doctors and Ill call her and tell her Im ready to quit but Im just wanting some of you more experienced peoples opinions as to if you think I drink enough to possible have more serious side effects if i quit, like a stroke or seizure?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I was a binge drinker. My withdrawals lasted one, maybe 2 days. I couldn't eat or even drink water without vomiting. There were times I was seriously worried about dehydration. My kidneys would ache. I would feel generally sick, edgy, lethargic, guilt ridden. It was awful! But I sucked it up and by the 2nd or 3rd day I was feeling much better. So much better as a matter of fact that I did it all again!

So long crappy days!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

from my personal experiences when i drank normally during the week it would be 3-4 shots of whiskey and about 3 beers. but the weekends would be A LOT more. i had cold sweats after the weekends but never during weekdays if i skipped a night of drinking. I would only get sweats and chills after a huge bender. Just giving my personal experiences.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank about a pint a night in the evenings...everyday for awhile. I, personally, didn't really have withdrawl symptoms miraculously enough. I would be hung over the next day but by that evening I felt fine. I never had shakes or anything, although my anxiety did increase after drinking. That's just me, though. I think every body is different and people have different reactions to different amounts. I think talking to your doctor is a good idea. If nothing else, it will give you some reassurance.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Originally Posted by saphira View Post
I think talking to your doctor is a good idea. If nothing else, it will give you some reassurance.
i left that sentence off lol i had to submit and close the internet really fast my boss was walking by hahahahh

if your nervous at all then go to the doc, like saphira said if nothing else ur mind will be at ease.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for the advice. i have really bad anxiety and i do notice when i drink too much the next day my anxiety is sky high. i mean to the point where i'd keep the phone next to me just in case...but when i dont drink as much my pills do a good job of keeping me rational so i think ill be okay.ill be sleeping a lot too since if im sleeping i cant sit around and think too much about my issues.i will definitely mention this to my doc though if anything im sure she'll just be glad i want to quit as my liver enzymes were creeping up
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
thanks for the advice. i have really bad anxiety and i do notice when i drink too much the next day my anxiety is sky high. i mean to the point where i'd keep the phone next to me just in case...but when i dont drink as much my pills do a good job of keeping me rational so i think ill be okay.ill be sleeping a lot too since if im sleeping i cant sit around and think too much about my issues.i will definitely mention this to my doc though if anything im sure she'll just be glad i want to quit as my liver enzymes were creeping up
at one point in my life I was drinking about 12-18 light beers a day, when I quit cold turkey I had some pretty serious withdrawals. Shakes, cold sweats, sky high anxiety/blood pressure, I'd even hallucinate and think I heard something or saw something. It sucked big time, but after about 3-4 days it all went away. Xanax definitely helped me. I'd still recommend talking to your doc though.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't mean to be rude, but I've been on this forum for a couple of years now... less than some, more than others... I am amazed that this question gets answered in this way. Guys, lives are at stake when it comes to detoxing. Don't mess around with this stuff. Please see your doctor, and for those of us that have been through it - please don't lead someone to think it can't happen to them just because it didn't happen to you. People can die from detoxing alone. I almost did, Dee74 almost did, and there are many more here who have had life threatening experiences while detoxing. Don't take that chance.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

No one on here has offered their experience on Wellbutrin and alcohol detox.

See your doctor.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Mrs. Brown, I've known people who drank less than that and more than that who had seizures and very high blood pressure -- stroke territory -- trying to detox on their own. Don't take any risks.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but I've been on this forum for a couple of years now... less than some, more than others... I am amazed that this question gets answered in this way. Guys, lives are at stake when it comes to detoxing. Don't mess around with this stuff. Please see your doctor, and for those of us that have been through it - please don't lead someone to think it can't happen to them just because it didn't happen to you. People can die from detoxing alone. I almost did, Dee74 almost did, and there are many more here who have had life threatening experiences while detoxing. Don't take that chance.
I know I certainly wasn't giving advice. I spoke of my experience with withdrawals after binge drinking. Withdrawal and detoxing, to me, are different. Withdrawal is the headache I experience in the afternoon if I haven't had my coffee. I was under the impression from her post that withdrawal is what she was asking about.

Your post wasn't rude but it was presumptive that we're careless and perhaps even reckless through our participation on this board. But, maybe that's just me? I realize you're concerned and maybe that wasn't the way you wanted to come across so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thats why i put in my original post that i realize you guys arent doctors and was just wanting opinions
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Originally Posted by sober4metoday View Post
I know I certainly wasn't giving advice. I spoke of my experience with withdrawals after binge drinking. Withdrawal and detoxing, to me, are different. Withdrawal is the headache I experience in the afternoon if I haven't had my coffee. I was under the impression from her post that withdrawal is what she was asking about.

Your post wasn't rude but it was presumptive that we're careless and perhaps even reckless through our participation on this board. But, maybe that's just me? I realize you're concerned and maybe that wasn't the way you wanted to come across so I'll just leave it at that.
I counldn't have put it better myself. Sorry if i offended but i said in my post it was MY personal experience, not anyone else.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober4metoday View Post

You're right, I am concerned - I had a seizure at home alone because I thought I could do it on my own. Someone I know ended up in the ICU from withdrawals, someone else had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 24 and survived to drink another day, and someone else I know straight up died from withdrawals. He was in his early 30's. Because she asked specifically about stroke or seizure, I assumed she wasn't talking about a headache the next day. Add psych meds into the mix - it's time to see a Doctor, IMO.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

You're right, I am concerned - I had a seizure at home alone because I thought I could do it on my own. Someone I know ended up in the ICU from withdrawals, someone else had a heart attack at the ripe old age of 24 and survived to drink another day, and someone else I know straight up died from withdrawals. He was in his early 30's. Because she asked specifically about stroke or seizure, I assumed she wasn't talking about a headache the next day. Add psych meds into the mix - it's time to see a Doctor, IMO.
agreed i've never taken anything more than a mens multivitamin or advil... so i have no experience there.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think GFCO has a pretty good point. I could share my experience.... but what happened to me really is meaningless for someone else, isn't it? So many variables far beyond the amount of drinking and the frequency.

I think it goes without saying everyone is trying to help. Never seen a website with so many helpful people. No one's intentions are in doubt. I just think a word of caution is advisable.

I'm not sure I understand how withdrawals and detox are different—withdrawals are what occur when people with physical addiction detox, no? Obviously if I were a doctor who specialized in these things I'd know the answer to that. But I'm not... which I think is all GFCO was trying to note.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I detoxed on my own a lot of times over 20 years MrsBrown...sometimes I'd drunk a lot, sometimes comparatively little, sometimes I was in bad shape, sometimes almost no ill effects at all.

The very unpredictability and illogicality of the whole deal is quite frightening really.

My last detox? I suffered a series of mini strokes - I survived, I'm happy and I live my life, but I'll never be the same again.

I understand people wanting to know a little of what they might have in store, and I understand other people wanting to share their experience... but I think the best bet for anyone, is always to see your doctor.

D