Notices

60 days, so what?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

60 days, so what?

Today is my 60th day sober. For some reason I'm not feeling it. Some call it the pink cloud, I just call it reality. I mean, I'm glad to be sober, but today doesn't feel special at all. It's just like any other day.

Work's been really hard lately. I got a bad review and that really brought me down. I've had an especially jaded view of the corporate world. I've considered changing careers, which is not simple or cheap by any means. I don't know. Today I feel blah.

All kinds of people go 60 days without a drink, and they don't throw a party. I don't feel accomplished I guess. Not like when I got my degrees. That was really hard work. Not when I got my promotion. Not when I bought a house or when I got married.

I'm going to a meeting and then have meetings all afternoon at work. I'll go home and cook tonight and that will be that. Hooray for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Well I think 60 days is fantastic and you won't change my mind about that!! Congrats!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I hope you don't mind if I give you kudos for 60 days.

I'll keep it low key...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Lost...I for one think it is GREAT..
I even think you rock!

Seriously. It is an accomplishment, and not an easy one at that.

Jim
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'm with ya Lost. 30, 60, 90...... 6 months.... I didn't even notice those birthdays when they came. I did look forward to a year though...that's when we get our first token in my homegroup / line of sponsorship.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hey everyone, thanks. I guess I'm in pity party mode. I think if I had the day off I'd feel better. I decided to take Fri afternoon off so I'm working towards that. Word has been so hard lately.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I hope you don't mind if I give you kudos for 60 days.

I'll keep it low key...
sweet.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a lesson to carry forward with you. Many don't understand that until they hit their first year, that any day you can name is only another day to stay sober and not special in any way. Milestones are artificially created and meaningless.

1 year, 10th year, 25th year, whatever year birthdays are just like the day before them or the day after...but with cake. Knowing that eliminates false expectations and believing we've reached plateaus and can now do less because we've passed some artificial marker line.

Still far better to be sober on any day than not, no matter what the calender has to say about it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I relate as well. I am at 63 or so days...and it feels gray, dreary, and BLAH right now. I am bored with sobriety.

One thing that helps me deal with the blahs is coming up with one small thing that I really love and focus on it for maybe an hour....like a meditation of sorts. If there is one thing that you have always enjoyed maybe make a big deal over it today, whether it is a favorite movie, coffee drink, place, restaurant, magazine, type of food (for me its raspberries). I guess it is just a way of distracting oneself from the boredom, but also an exercise in stimulating the senses with without using.

Also the gratitude journal helps sometimes, although I find that gets a little repetitive day to day since the same things are on the list almost every day.

In any event....CONGRATS on 60 days!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lost...maybe we need to change our names to Found? Congratulations...you are right, normal people dont celebrate 60 days without a drink...but then again, I dont think normal people had to pull themselves out of their own deep dark Hell of their own making..out of the dark, into the light...Congrats!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Good points. Maybe I'll have a LARGE tea latte instead of a small. I ended up working so late last night that we ordered in. So I don't feel right doing that again tonight. And since it's a weeknight we probably won't go to the movies. Maybe a large tea latte and bubblebath will do it.

Like Langkah says, it's a day like any other. But the bubblebath might be a nice way to reflect.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
Lost...maybe we need to change our names to Found? Congratulations...you are right, normal people dont celebrate 60 days without a drink...but then again, I dont think normal people had to pull themselves out of their own deep dark Hell of their own making..out of the dark, into the light...Congrats!!
You too lost! I wrote on your thread. A name change might be nice. I don't feel nearly as lost as before.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

60 days is awesome!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you Lost...Happy 60 Days again....
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

anewlife and sapling, thank you.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Lost..that is funny. A name change. How about to findingmyway or partiallythere because you don't appear to be a lost as you once were.

Have a great day!

Jim
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 2 months!!

I think it's a big deal, I couldn't get one day sober at one point.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I get where you're coming from lost...I've felt the same way. Maybe you can look at it this way though: You're showing other alcoholics that they can also reach sixty days sober. Believe me, sixty days is a huge deal and inspirational to anyone having a hard time just staying sober for a day. It's another mile marker on a long road, and you deserve to feel good about getting there. Now go for sixty-one (as my sponsor told me).

--Fenris.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Today is my 60th day sober. For some reason I'm not feeling it. Some call it the pink cloud, I just call it reality. I mean, I'm glad to be sober, but today doesn't feel special at all. It's just like any other day. Work's been really hard lately. I got a bad review and that really brought me down. I've had an especially jaded view of the corporate world. I've considered changing careers, which is not simple or cheap by any means. I don't know. Today I feel blah. All kinds of people go 60 days without a drink, and they don't throw a party. I don't feel accomplished I guess. Not like when I got my degrees. That was really hard work. Not when I got my promotion. Not when I bought a house or when I got married. I'm going to a meeting and then have meetings all afternoon at work. I'll go home and cook tonight and that will be that. Hooray for me.
Lost, so sorry you are feeling down but I gotta say 60 days is huge for us! Use to be I couldn't go 60 minutes without thinking about drinking in the evenings. I hope work will get better for you, keep your chin up girlie
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
partiallythere
Thanks Jim. The above cracked me up!