Notices

60 days, so what?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As you said for many it may not seem as an "accomplishment" but to me it's amazing ! Some feel the same way about birthdays....just another day. Again to me another day sober is enough reason to celebrate, take pride in your personal power of making the right choices CONGRATS ON 60 DAYS !
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by nel68 View Post
Lost, so sorry you are feeling down but I gotta say 60 days is huge for us! Use to be I couldn't go 60 minutes without thinking about drinking in the evenings. I hope work will get better for you, keep your chin up girlie
Yeah, you are right about that!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I get where you're coming from lost...I've felt the same way. Maybe you can look at it this way though: You're showing other alcoholics that they can also reach sixty days sober. Believe me, sixty days is a huge deal and inspirational to anyone having a hard time just staying sober for a day. It's another mile marker on a long road, and you deserve to feel good about getting there. Now go for sixty-one (as my sponsor told me).

--Fenris.
That's an interesting take. Thanks for that.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lost... I think Fenis makes a very good point. Speaking as someone still looking to reach 30 days..I think 60 is a huge milestone.

Jim
Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Lost3000, those other events you described, getting married, buying a home, receiving degrees, they all took a lot longer than 60 days to accomplish. They were things that took years and indeed an entire lifetime to work toward. They were huge milestones in your life that were evidence of achievement and perseverance. I think it's a little much to ask for that same sense of fulfillment after 60 days of not drinking.

By no means am I discounting your time in recovery. 60 days is AWESOME. But just hang in there a little while longer. The true blessings in recovery, at least in my experience, take a bit longer to materialize. And one day you'll like back and not think, "Wow, I've gone X number of days without drinking," but rather, "Oh my goodness, look at all the blessings I've received in my life since I put down the booze!" My progress in recovery isn't measured by the amount of time I've put together without a drink, but the ways my life has changed since I had my last one.

Good on you for trying to turn your life around. Unfortunately it doesn't all happen immediately. It's like you were barreling down the highway 100mph in a fully loaded 18-wheeler, and you realized the road was out ahead of you. You know you've got to turn that thing around, but you can't just rip the emergency break and pull a 180. You've got to slow down and start carefully attempting to turn around that massive beast that's running fast and nearly out of control. But once you get there, you'll see nothing but open road ahead of you.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

if it means anything, you give some of us newbies hope. congratulations
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
My progress in recovery isn't measured by the amount of time I've put together without a drink, but the ways my life has changed since I had my last one.
you shifted my focus with that one. thanks for that
Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't feel it much when I got 60 days either but I had been so far down the hole I was still tunnelling towards the surface I think.

when I first got here the people with 30, 60, 90 days were amazing to me - the people with years I looked at like...woah...seriously?

I'd drunk all day every day for at least the last 5 years before getting here - one day sober was an achievement to me.

Seeing others hit milestones gave me - someone who had no hope - hope.

I still remember that - I think it is an achievement and I hope I never lose that attitude

D
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

New name-- Journey ? RightonTrack ? The whole first year is a roller coaster ride with ups n downs...Plus you have changed, but people at work, who you deal may have not...so you are reacting differently now....anywho--Congratz & keep up the great work!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I couldn't agree more with Dee. I thought going 30 days without booze was nearly impossible, and I looked at people with years in recovery and thought 2 things: 1) Is that even possible? 2) Those people must not be very much fun at weddings and ballgames and such.

Turns out we can actually have MORE fun when we're not drinking. Not only that, we can actually remember it!

Always remember that minutes and days and months and years are nothing more than measurements of time. It's what you do with that time that truly matters. Would my ~2 years without alcohol really mean anything if I didn't improve my life and be a better husband and father and brother and son and friend? If I kept being destructive and making bad decisions that had a negative impact on me and those around me, what would be the point?

I've known people who have gone decades without alcohol, but their type of recovery is not the kind I want because I don't see happiness and helpfulness in them, only abstinence from booze. I want my recovery to be filled with doing good things and making good decisions and bringing joy to others. That's what life is really about, not following some strict guidelines about what I can or can't put into my body. It just so happens that something I enjoyed putting into my body was keeping me from doing the other things. So it had to go.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back bryangt

D
Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

60 days is great, tomorrow is my 60th day. I guess feeling like it's just a normal day is what we're striving for, to just be living. I say you do some on-line shopping.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Congrats lost. You have come a long way. And you're right, we don't need a party to celebrate these things. Hell if we did that I'd have drank at 1 week, lol.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
orangutan

60 Days is awsome!!! Congratulaions. I remember those early days and how hard it was to stay sober every day was a struggle. Your doing great.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi everyone! Thanks for the well wishes and positive thoughts!! I think that lately things have been hard for me due to work. And this morning I realized, part of the reason that it's so hard for me to deal with work is because before, I'd drink away the feelings! And now I don't have anything to smother them away.

So I'm working through it. I'm considering a slight career change, or at least another job. It's not easy to do in my field so I'll concentrate on that while keeping up with the day to day stuff. It could take me 6 mos to a year to move into another position and even longer than that if I want to change my career.

I realize that I want what I want NOW. LOL. And that's just not going to happen. Things aren't going to work out just the way I want just because I decided not to drink.

This morning on the way in to work, I drove in with my husband. We were talking about our lives, how we have to work another 25 yrs before retirement, and what we are going to do about our unhappiness at our jobs. I thought, wow, this conversation is so clear to me. I'm so aware. And I truly love this man. These thoughts were just so clear to me. And I know it's because I'm not boozing.

Thanks again everyone! Love you all - even if I do seem annoyed and irritated at some's posts.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

That's awesome Lost. I'm really happy for you. That clarity is pretty great, isn't it?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Lost3000..(or should I refer to you as Found3000?) You post is very positive. I believe you have hit on an important point. It is easy to forget the trouble of the day simply by escaping in several drinks..This makes is easy to become complacent which can lead to additional discontentment.. which leads to more drinking.. which lead to even more discontentment...ect.

Jim
Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

PaperDolls: Thank you!!! I got my chip yesterday at a mtg. My husband looks at it with equal amazement - he thinks it's super cool.

SoberJim: Yeah...makes me wonder how long I've been this discontent at work! Although about a year and a half ago, I worked very hard to secure a promotion. And that's been very rewarding until the last few months.

Fenris: The clarity is amazing. I'm really surprised at it.