Notices

Something happened that really made me think

Old 02-29-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something happened that really made me think

I just recovered from my most horrible hangover in a long time. Don drink everyday but to much now and then. My last binge lasted from Saturday to Monday afternoon. Hardly any sleep.So been sweating and just feeling horrific.

And then I start to get calls during my hangover from my dad that I love so much. He can`t reach my brother that altså struggles quite a lot with alcohol. My dad used to as well in the past . He is just devasted and worried and I get really scared for his health and my dear brother that I really love.

He is scared for me as well. He always used be so mellow,calm and strong but very supportive. Now it seems as thought he is falling apart somehow.
He is very different and terrified for my brother. I think he is scared we will find him dead in his appartment which we cant get into. My brother will not answer the phone or give me any notice on emails and msn. He told me he got this new medisine called seroquel that makes him very tired and I know he uses it with alcohol as well to cure hangovers.

This was just really the motivation I needed now to stay sober and be strong for my dad and my brother.

So sober weekend for the first time in a long while this weekend guaranted.
I know I have quit before but still the thought of no alkohol ever in the future is so depressing somewhow.

But I want to live a different life. Not feeling like I am dying on a sunday and not even being well enought to work on mondays or going to the gym which I really liked before. Having regrets for acting like and idiot while drunk.

I know I have been here before and I dont expect you have any faith in me. But the issue with my dad and brother really really scared me.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have faith in you...If you have been here before...What are you going to do this time that is different than what you did last time?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

I have faith in you! Ill keep you in my prayers!! But the most important thing is to have faith in yourself!! keep your head up
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dont really know. I have been in pretty bad shape since christmas and I am the point that I really need a breake from the partying-It is affection my job which I love and need to be at my best.

Thought of going to AA but I dont know. I was sober for a month but then I started again only slowly though with a few drinks or beers. Weekends are hard for me. This weekend I have a important job project to work with so that helps me. But then we will see.

Think I will have to be more proactive in this whole stopping to drink project of mine. Not only come in here after a bad hangover when I really want to quit. When things are really good and I want to have just one beer watching hockey. And of course be more proactive when I struggle and feel sad and lonely and really "needs" a drink to cool off.

I think I will do the one month project again for now.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think as long as you treat getting sober as a "project," something like cleaning the garage or painting the shutters, your attempts will be half-hearted. Recovery isn't taking a break from partying, it's breaking with your past ways of dealing with life. Looking over your old posts, you've tried numerious times to stop, to cut back, to no avail.

Recovery from alcohol dependence is a lifestyle change. I wish you luck with your 30-day trial period. Perhaps at the end, when you look back at your struggles, you'll commit to remaining alcohol free. For therein lies your answer. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roselian View Post
Thought of going to AA but I dont know.
All I know about AA is it works for millions of people...Myself included...It can't really hurt to try it...Can it?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do it! (:
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I think as long as you treat getting sober as a "project," something like cleaning the garage or painting the shutters, your attempts will be half-hearted. Recovery isn't taking a break from partying, it's breaking with your past ways of dealing with life. Looking over your old posts, you've tried numerious times to stop, to cut back, to no avail.
Thanks I see your point. But the thought of giving up alcohol completely seems very scary and like a huge loss in some way. Even thought it gives me lots of trouble. I hope i will get that feeling as well that life is great without alcohol.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you get it quicker than I did.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol terrified me. Never drinking? Ever? How is that possible? I'd be so miserable! Looking back, I can see that's just part of being an alcoholic. Now that I'm clear if the reality distortion field, I realize I never needed it at all—and the miserable way of life is the alcoholic way of life.

You know what terrifies me now? The thought of going back to drinking. The endless treadmill, obsessing over alcohol, worrying about my health, waking up half dead, vowing to quit, then disappointing myself yet again. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. Maybe next year...

Ugh. It's so crazy to be afraid of leaving that all behind. But I was, just like you. Like Sapling said, hope you don't wait as long as I did.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

R, it may turn out after a bit that you're not as miserable without what is making you miserable as you are sure you will be.

Sounds like someone in your family needs to get sober to care for the ones who can't do life without getting drunk. Why not you?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Sometimes it's the love for something other than ourselves that sets us on the path to sobriety. I'm so happy that you have found strength in your brother and father! I don't have a relationship with my parents so you are really a lucky gal in more ways than you know. Build on that strength!!

Some people choose AA, some people choose other types of programs. But the key is to choose something. AA is a concept that is understood mainstream. It's probably the most identifiable and most available first step when someone makes the decision to seek help. Make that first step! Even if you decide that the program isn't for you, at least you are on the right path.

Glad you're here!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Roselian

I dunno about you but I know I couldn't fix my problems with alcohol just by not drinking 30 days...I tried that and it didn't work...I tried 60 (and shot for 90 too) - same result.

I had to accept I needed to change my life as well.
I'm not trying to beat you up, but if you want this
But I want to live a different life. Not feeling like I am dying on a sunday and not even being well enought to work on mondays or going to the gym which I really liked before. Having regrets for acting like and idiot while drunk.
then you have to accept that a different life is going to take more than just not drinking for 30 days.

I know it's scary - terrifying even - but you're not alone...everyone one of us here has been there.

Don't sell yourself short roselian - you can do this

D
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have faith in you! If I can do it, you can do it. Those feelings that you can't live with the thought of never again having a drink goes away as time passes and you see for yourself how much better your life has become. You can be the strong one and be there for your dad and brother.