Notices

It Is What It Is ...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

It Is What It Is ...

This is my fourth attempt at sobriety in the past year. I've managed to put as much as 4 months together at one time, only to drink again. I would have had 60 days today if I hadn't had a slight slip a couple of weeks ago. I have been sad and sickened by my relapses, but also have come to understand them and why they happened. As some have said here, I can't be discouraged or derailed by my relapses as long as they have taught me something, and they have. And what they have taught me is:

1. I will never be happy with just one drink. One is too many, and a thousand isn't enough. Thus, I cannot even have JUST ONE.

2. Drinking in response to the stresses in my life only makes them worse, not better.

3. My sobriety is all about ME ... it's not about what other people (my still active alcoholic husband, my children, my friends, my dysfunctional family members) do.

4. Anything I put before my sobriety, I will lose.

5. I have a choice whether to drink or not drink. It sometimes doesn't feel that way, but it is the truth. I can work my program or I can say, "F*ck it, I need a drink." The only place that has ever gotten me is hell.

6. I can't do this alone - I need a program and sober friends in my life who can guide me along this journey.

7. Living life on life's terms really sucks sometimes ... but it's better than doing it drunk.

8. My worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk.

9. I am not perfect. I am not a saint. I'm only working toward spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection. Tough for me, since I am a perfectionist. But my perfectionistic tendencies are what caused me to drink in the first place. I have to cut myself some slack and realize I AM HUMAN and I have an addiction that wants to kill me. Whatever steps I take to rid that addiction from my life are a plus, even if they don't work the first time, the tenth time, or the hundredth time. I just have to keep on trying.

10. I can do this. I've done it before. The only failure on this journey is in not trying again. If I don't try again, I am lost. I don't want to be lost - I want to live.

Anything anyone would care to add would be most welcomed. I share this as I know there are others out there struggling who have "failed" many times and I hope and pray that they will see themselves in what I've written and will see that it is never too late to try again. And again. And again. Whatever it takes, and whatever lengths you have to go to in order to have the life you dream of. It is possible. I'm not there yet, but I'm getting there one day at a time. We all can.

I'm still here by the grace of my higher power, the love of so many who care about what happens to me, and the support of SR. This "hopeless alcoholic" is still in the game and learning to live again one day at a time. That is my prayer for all of us.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

#8 really hit home with me, I got home from work, threw my keys on the counter, checked the mail, and thought the EXACT same thing.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The key is all in #1. If we know and understand this, there is no reason we should drink.

One drink we take me right back into the hell I was in.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well said, I agree #1 is key.

When confronted with the possibility of drinking I ask myself a simple question:
Would one night of drinking be worth the weeks/years of drinking that would inevitably ensue afterward?

After that I ask myself: Would I rather go back to rehab or end up dead? If I drink again those are the only two options available to me once I start.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Do this for YOU, YOU are worth it and YOU are priceless!!

search AA speakers on line.... I love xa-speakers.org
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post, Desert Your list should be a sticky!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
8. My worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk.
I can't personally get on board with this particular oft-repeated slogan, since it simply wouldn't be the truth. I had several wonderful, absolutely magical days drunk that were far, far better than my worst day sober. Granted, they didn't last, and became anything but magical by the end, but that doesn't change things. Alcohol did once have its benefits, however banal, short-lived, and ultimately very expensive they may have become.

Rigorous honesty, right?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
I can't personally get on board with this particular oft-repeated slogan, since it simply wouldn't be the truth.
Yeah, me neither.

I had a lot of great days "when drinking." Slept in, got laid, had a great breakfast, played golf all afternoon, got that perfect buzz on (not too little but not too much), took money off my buddies, had a nice dinner and a few more drinks, got laid again and went to sleep with my wife.

Sober......I've had plennnnnnty of crappy days. I've lost a job in sobriety, I've been flat broke and sober, I've had days where NOTHING went the way I wanted it to, I've even lost a house to foreclosure in sobriety.....

What the slogan is TRYING to say is that even on those crappy sober days.......at least I have a shot at digging out of them quickly, not letting them smash me into the dirt for a week or two, and I've got a really good shot at bouncing back quickly. When I was living as a practicing alkie, my chances weren't nearly as promising most days.

Sobriety and/or recovery doesn't = "absence of all problems." Somewhere along the way, I thought that's what getting sober would yield. It doesn't. What it does do though, is give you beyond a fighting chance at a quick and healthy rebound from those inevitable problems that will pop up.... Dealing with problems back in the drinking years was really just: run/avoid and get loaded.....and never deal with anything.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a GREAT post DS....Lot of wisdom there...Thanks for sharing that...If you are new or thinking about giving up alcohol...Pay close attention. Better yet...Print it out and put it on your wall....Keep plugging along desertsong...You're doing great!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that desertsong!!

Number 1 is IT for me. One will never be enough and keeping that at the forefront of my mind has got me to my day 60 today

All the best to you, desertsong. I really enjoy reading your posts

Keep on going.

Sunny xx
Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congrats on Day 60 Sunny!!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, I like number 8 and I also like your explanation of it too. x
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sounds like to me your gonna do just fine desertsong. Have a good day.