Notices

Working out where to start

Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working out where to start

I'm not entirely sure where to go with this but I'll give it a shot. To be honest the idea of being anywhere where I'm identified solely as an addict freaks me out a little.
I have an addiction, it isn't alcohol, I actually find drinking too much of a loss of control most of the time. I take the recommended daily dose, sometimes more, of painkillers every day, I have been for about 3 years now.
It started out the way I get the impression most painkiller addictions do, I have some health problems that caused me a lot of pain so the doctors prescribed me some heavy duty co-codamol for it. When I stopped needing it I founded I missed it, then a new problem cropped up and I was put back on it. About a year and a half later the doctors were beginning to suspect my regular usage wasn't pain management any more. I got really really good at working out ways to get it prescribed still, playing off doctors inability to keep a constant tab on their patients.
When I realised there was too much suspicion, I noted a warning on my file that requested my prescriptions be minimal, I stopped asking for it. Stopped going to the doctors and started buying the weaker strength co-codamol over the counter (Legal in the UK). I don't really overdose, I just constantly take it.
I think if I don't work out the way to control it and stop I'm probably going to fry my kidneys or liver. So that's why I'm here.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GwenEve

I understand how scary it can be to be here initially, but we all understand - you'll find a lot of support here - you're amongst friends

You might also find our substance abuse forum useful to you:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by GwenEve View Post
I'm not entirely sure where to go with this but I'll give it a shot. To be honest the idea of being anywhere where I'm identified solely as an addict freaks me out a little.
Welcome GwenEve!

You are NEVER just an addict. You are so much more and you are worth getting sober for.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR, Gwen. A lot of people develop a dependence on a substance the same way that you did -- start taking it for a legitimate reason and end up in a place where they can't stop taking it or can't control it. You're not alone. And like Josh said, you aren't just an addict. I'm an alcoholic -- it's a large part of what and who I am, but it's not all that I am. I had to learn to incorporate that into my identity and recognize it for the truth that it is, though, before I could start working on it and living with it. Keep reading and posting...there's a lot of great support here.

--Fenris.