Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How long after getting sober to give cigarette-cessation a shot?

Notices

How long after getting sober to give cigarette-cessation a shot?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Both my doctor and my AA sponsor said to quit the booze first and have at least 6 months of sobriety under my belt before giving up the smokes. Sounded like a good plan to me, as I don't think I could handle giving up both at the same time.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i quit cigarettes at 6 months sober. wanted to do it at the beginning but was too lazy.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I quit prescription drugs (Vidodin, Clonozepam, Xanax), alcohol, beer and cigarettes at the same time. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!!

I did use the lowest patch and nicotine gum for the first 10 days. It really helped. And I got suckers and candy as that helped with some cravings too. It's funny, I remember EVERY SECOND of the first few hours quitting and that it was an eternity at that time. Now, 4 months later, it seems so far away. LOL

The smokes are very, very, VERY difficult to quit...high praise to all that have done it and stayed with it. I still get cravings for cigarettes, but the health benefits I have received since quitting far outweigh me ever wanting to go back. They ARE "the silent killers".

How can such an addictive product be legal in today's society? Tax revenues is all I can think of; because they SHOULD BE illegal.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Aries, talk about killing 6 birds with 1 stone. Kudos!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I cannot speak for me, but my girlfriend quit opiates, pot, alcohol, cocaine, annnnnnnnnd.......cigarettes all simultaneously one week ago.

She is experiencing anxiety, but wants it all over NOW!!!

She has a poor heart, and smoking will eventually kill her.

So it is imperative.

She is on the patch though, and lives next door to me. She got out of detox Friday, and has been over to her place to get clothes and stuff to bring over here. She said finally, after not smoking, and not being around it for a week, it STINKS!!!!

Also, as an aside, my ex-wife, got sober on January 1, 1993, and has been sober for 19 years. She quit alcohol and cigarettes the same day, cold turkey. Has used neither since.

These are only examples, and of course, will not work for all. My ex was 31 when she quit, my current girlfriend is 47. My ex was in excellent health, and by that time had smoked for much less time and drank for less than my current.

I need to give my girlfriend ENORMOUS Credit.....she is hanging tough, for sure.

Rex
Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

BTW....I don't speak for me, because I never smoked, I cannot empathize, only sympathize.

Rex
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
14 days sober today- I haven't been sober for this long in years and I've been feeling pretty good. I am still smoking, however. Its the one thing holding me back from feeling really healthy. I want to try and stop this, too, but at the same time I don't want to take too much away in a short period of time and have it backfire on me. Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experiences on how long to wait would be wise? Any good strategies to do this? I smoke less than a pack per day, and they are ultra lights, but I do crave them, especially in the morning after I've had coffee. I also get very strong cravings for them if anything remotely stressful occurs. They are so gross though and make me feel unhealthy.
I waited two weeks. I am at 102 days without alcohol and 90 without cigs. Dont miss smoking, still miss drinking.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Last year when I tried to get sober I didnt quit smoking. I would smoke 3 - 5 a day which was more than when I drank. I think I associate the two. When I was drinking I 'enjoyed' cigarettes more. Sometimes when I was sober and smoking I craved a cocktail to go with the smoke. Couple people told me not to quit both at once, but this time Ive got a few weeks quitting both cold turkey and feel great. Over time I just kept lowering the amounts and trying to quit, there were a lot of false starts for me just gotta keep going.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Somewhere I heard that the physical withdrawal symptoms for smoking are actually pretty minor, and that it's 99% mental. After I heard that it wasn't such a big deal to me. I had to try multiple times but I was able to successfully quit after a few attempts.

Not nearly as difficult for me as drinking was, that's for sure.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nicotine is out of your system completely in 72 hrs. So after 3 days, the physical is over. It's the mental part, you have to deal with.
It can be done.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm definitely going to pick up some of the resources mentioned here. I think I am going to try after I finish my current pack, which is about half way done. I do think that it is mostly in my head, and helps out with de-stressing- hopefully I'll find an alternative means for that. I once heard someone say that "Its not the smoking, its the breathing," and I think there is some truth to that. It is meditative in a way. Actual deep breathing & mindfulness would be a much better alternative. Thanks for all the advice!