Notices

Get Over Myself

Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Get Over Myself

Just started laughing. I have a roof over my head a hyper puppy a love of music and litature and then I get depressed over being sober, get real mycool I',m the luckiest man in the world. My puppy is snoring by me I'm drinking a vitaman water. I need to rememeber my blessings every day. I believe I set myself up for relapse but that is my choice not fate. Those were my thoghts and instead of felling like crying I felt like laughing. It was a thought of get over myself
Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I have those, "Seriously?! I'm sad about what again?!?!" moments as well! It's great to have a proper perspective!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((((Fitz))) - I can totally relate

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Depressed over beng sober"
When you read it like that it just sounds so ridiculously stupid doesn't it. Totally agree with you. x
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pets can bring a lot of joy to one's life. I have a cat and I love him dearly.

Generally, though, a positive mental attitude makes the world of difference. Too often people focus on what they have lost, or what they have never gained, rather than what they have got.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel you MFC. When that happens to me I look for one of the many never-ending projects I need to do around the house - and do it.

G
Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the mindset of losing something instead of gaining something. Just drunk thinking, I don't want to just be sober I want to recover though not sure what that means. People have a good def of recovery?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Fitz))) - not sure I can give you a definition, but this is what my life in recovery is, sort of:
- I have bad days, they suck, but I know they won't last...I reach out to people I can vent or get insight to instead of staying stuck in my head
- I do what I say, when I say I will do it, and have gained trust and respect
- if I'm grumpy, having a bad day..I warn people Tell them it's nothing personal, just having a bad day and apologize (or snuggle with the cat) when I am a jerk. Yep, even in recovery, I can be a jerk.
- I have my pity parties, but I set a time limit...this much time, then get over it, go on with life
- I make a LOT of gratitude lists
- if I can't make an amend to someone, for whatever reason, I make a living amend. Sometimes it's just as simple as doing something nice for a stranger.
- I have dreams. I may never actually REACH them, but I have faith that I'll come pretty darned close.
- I've learned that feelings really don't kill me. They may FEEL like they are, but they haven't done it yet.
- when all else fails, I come to SR, grab my cat, and snuggle

I'm sure there's more, but that's the gist of what MY recovery is like.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks that helps sometimes I can get lost in a forest without trees
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmmm recovery def? here is a quote from12 step and dharma teacher , Mel Ash: "Bill W. taught us how to recover our sanity, sobriety and potential. Zen teaches us how to recover our original peace of mind. As Zen masters are fond of saying: Are they the same or are they different? All I can answer is that I'm not the same as I used to be, and that it sure feels different. It feels like becoming a real human being. That's recovery"
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My pity parties are getting less frequent, but I always try to remember how lucky I am to be alive....all the crazy situations, actions and the insane way I lived when drinking almost killed me many times. If there was justice in this world I wouldn't be here, and my twin brother that was my hero would be alive instead of dying of a brain tumor when he was 45. I hope that in the near future I can get "out of myself" and contribute more to this crazy world. I am living on borrowed time.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes read Mel Ask, like his artwork. You all are all always here for me I can't describe the appreciation. My evening feels pretty dang ok. My best to each and every one of you.