Notices

I want to know..

Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to know..

What kind of things do you all do to fill up the time that you used to spend drinking?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great question. Right now I volunteer, go to meetings, try to socialize with people I meet at meetings, and work out. I also have given work a lot more attention.

I struggle with this question daily. By nature I am not a social person (literally will take the stairs over taking the elevator with someone) but I realized how lonely, isolated,a nd self obsessed I had become and how much that ledme to drink. Getting outside of the house, and myself, has helped a lot.

Good luck finding your healthy distractions.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i 'recovered' stuff i had done in the past- skiing, whitewater etc. later i became a rabid bass/pike fisherman... threw a little camper on the truck, bought an old boat and spent 5 weeks in Northern Ontario. Learned to meditate. Played music again. Read challenging tomes. Worked the steps. added 3500 sq ft of shop and and a "glass room" to my home, wrote a novel...

Now i raise a few chickens and am building my 3rd boat- a 31' catamaran. Learning to gas weld. Still call my sponsor. Got one hell of a lot more time n money n ambition than i ever had before recovery...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Ashley, while in active addiction I slowly eliminated every activity that interfered with my drinking - I was awfully busy then let me tell you. Since becoming sober, I am picking up again those activities that gave me joy, pleasure, a feeling of accomplishment and self worth. Now, I read, exercise, make music, cook, and volunteer. I also spend more than a little time here at SR as another part of my therapy. Now I see that any limits to my activities are my own, and I like that feeling.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. (:
Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am still finding my way, trying to find inspiration to do things where alcohol left off. I do like going to the Gym, and the dog gets more walks than he had before..I am cooking more, which i love, and of course, SR takes up some space. Still learning who and what i am, other than an Alkie, i guess
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I decided to go back to school and get another degree. That takes up a lot of time

I also attend a lot of AA meetings, hang out with sober friends, exercise, cook gourmet meals, read, hike, watch trash tv (real housewives), hang out with my dog, and I recently bought some adult coloring books and coloring pencils.

Oh and I make jewelry.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been considering going back to school. (: What kind of jewelry do you make?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beads. You can take all kinds of classes to make awesome necklaces, earrings, etc. I highly recommend it. It is very therapeutic.

Ornamentea.com's Fine Craft Tutorials & Project Ideas!

It is much better to take the classes in person though.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Hi Ashley

You know what I do , LOL but wanted to say I have missed you. Sorry I have not been in chat so much. But all is real well for me, and I hope as for you it is also.

Big hugs. Inda
Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Inda! Good to see you and hear you are doing well! I am doing okay. (: Hugs!!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I do everything I used to do while I was drinking, only now I do it sober and better.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm finding that I will find a way to fill my time! But whenever I do feel rushed I remind myself that I don't need that three to five hours a day for drinking anymore.

You know what I'm really doing more of? Sleeping!! I've managed most of my responsibilities while drinking, but I was using sleeping time to drink. Talk about stupid. AND, now I have more time for things that are really for ME. It's early, and it's scary, but I am looking forward to being me.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Lets see...I got a part time job, I hang w/ my hubby, I surf the net...here and FB, also certain news pages, I go to the library and check out and read biographies. I just finished reading the one called "save me from myself" by Brian "head" Welch a guy that used to be in Korn, I cook, clean, and watch some TV, I love to go for drives, church, hang w/ friends, coffee, organize, pintrest, all sorts of stuff.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great question. Ya know, this past weekend I found myself doing the same thing I would be doing if I was drinking. Hanging at a bar, with water or ginger ale though. While it is good to be around friends, and holding my own against the beast, I am tired of being in a pointless room not drinking. Unless its after seeing a band, or some sporting event or whatever, I need to fill up my time with something more worthwhile. I'd like to start waking up early on Saturdays to ride my bike, or jog or something.

Good answer everyone! Time for more change!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. (:
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In my drinking days I would clean my house Saturday morning because I knew I would be hungover on Sunday and I wanted to spend it in a clean house. I can't believe I use to think that was acceptable, normal behavior.

Now I spend my time working on projects around the house - this weekend was my closet, super excited to finally have a clean, updated closet. It should be finished in the next couple of days, painting and hanging shelves is all that is left. I have picked up my working out, I usually go once a week to a class but now trying for at least 3 times. I am taking a class to learn how to sew and my first project will be new curtains. Who knew I would be so into interior design? Definitely not me

I haven't been much for socializing though. Many of friends, although supportive, hang out/work in the bar scene. I have gone to the bar a couple times for an hour or so but I am pretty much over the whole thing.

I am proud and excited to finally be an active participant in my own life.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Ashley - I didn't spend a lot of days drinking (I drank heavily twice per month on average) BUT I did spend a lot of time THINKING about drinking. I arranged friendships, dinner, travel, work, appointments....you name it, by whether or not I may be drinking right before or right after (or heck, during sometimes). For example, I would know that the Mexican bar down the street had a great happy hour on Thursdays. I would know that we hadn't been a few weeks so chances were we'd be going either that Thurs or the next Thurs. Therefore, I wouldn't schedule anything important for either Friday. Completely madness!

So, although I don't have a lot of "drinking time" to fill up I do have a lot of "obsessing about drinking time" to fill up! And to do that I will log on to SR and puts around, I've also discovered STUMBLING online (I've come across so many incredible recipes!), and I signed up for a 2 month certificate program that begins in July. I'm keeping my mind occupied as much as possible will positive thoughts. I also made a list of 10 daily affirmations that I repeat several times throughout the day. If I find my mind wondering it's a great place to stick it for a moment.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Ashley, really good question! Lily mentioned Pinterest which is really fun. You can get a lot of great ideas there! Not sure if your into computer games but I started playing We Topia after Ellen mentioned it on her show. Its fun because you play to give money to charity. Also like to read and loved the book Unbroken!! Need to get back to my daily walk which I really enjoy!! Hope this helps!! Have a Great week!! Lind