Notices

My brain

Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My brain

Hi Guys,

Been sober for 3 months now, but still showing little improvements in my brain. Still forgetful, memories jumbled up and cognitive function not too good.

However, when I broke up with my girlfriend in August, I drank heavily, maybe a bottle of 40% whisky daily for 6 weeks.

I havnt been drinking alcohol for years, so do you guys think I could have damaged my brain in this short space of time??

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 months! I don't think that alco can damage brain anyway in a short period of time.

Cottage cheese improves memory, so eat it as much as you can and see if it helps.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by 211648 View Post

I havnt been drinking alcohol for years, so do you guys think I could have damaged my brain in this short space of time??

Thanks.
Well let's hope for everyone's sake the answer to that question is NO!

Hang in there. There's nothing you can do about that now besides not doing it again. Take care of yourself and keep moving forward.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It could also be signs of P.A.W.S. - Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It normally has onset from 6 months to 2 years - but everyone is different.

At 5 1/2 months I got it really bad. I couldn't speak, read faces, visual ques, I couldn't speak in sentences more that a few words without losing my place. It was very frustrating. It lasted about 6 weeks and I'm finally getting better than I was at the point I quit drinking.

Look it up..it's likely the cause and it will pass. It's just the brain adjusting.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back.

I'm sorry you're still concerned about this.

Like I've said in other threads it took me a lot longer than 3 months to feel my head was back to normal.

Have you seen a Dr lately - maybe the way through this for you is a full check up, the full phalanx of tests, pokes and prods? That way you'll know if there's a tangible problem or not?

D
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses.

Yea been to a doctor again and a neurologist, but they seemed unconcerned and say that it takes years of chronic abuse to causes brain problems.

Is is possible I could be driving myself mad by analysing my memories???
Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Dwelling on my past works for me if I want to get crazy. Worrying about what might happen in the future is a close second. What's left is close to hand fortunately, it's right now. I try to remember that those two infinite time periods are not worth a drink or a pill, and instead do the right thing now, and it will all get sorted in it's own time.

I know the trouble with delayed gratification is all the waiting, but there you go.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been through periods of obsessing about my health...it didn't really do me any good...and nothing bad eventuated anyway

You're well within the parameters of my experience at 3 months - try not to worry about it too much

I'm not a Dr, and I'm not diagnosing you, but if you recognise yourself here, this link may be useful to you?

PAWS | Digital Dharma

D
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

3-6 months was quite fuzzy for me
Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

211648...I'm a little over 6 months and feeling a little better mentally each day. But, I was foggy/fuzzy/sluggish in thought for most months after the second month, and wondered why. What I read about PAWS seems the best explanation. I don't expect to be 100% for a year or two. But I keep an open mind, hope, and relish in each day's improvement.

Stick with it. The edge or energy some of us obtained from alcohol is a fallacy.