Notices

1 year

Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 year

I am passing the one year mark. So I want to give you all a flash back. Was it hard, yes, especially in the beginning and it is still hard. Also getting sober is no magic bullet. Problems still exist and things do not change over night and everything is purkey. It takes time and effort. Also even now I feel temptation sometimes, but I learned to take a piece of cake instead (or the whole pie) and usually the craving for alcohol goes away.
So how did I do it? I did not do a program, it was just me and reading on SR. I believe somehow my HP gave me a chance and I just was ready (I know it sounds wired). For all of you trying, it is possible, I was a failure so many times going back to drinking. I think I tried for 5 years to stop. It was 5 years ago that a friend told me I am an alcoholic. It took me this time to finally accept it and try. I had some patches before 6 month or 3 month or weeks, but I always went back to drinking.
So what changed: First and for all I lost 70 pounds. I still need to loose 20 but thats okay. Second I learned that bad things happen, but you will be okay. I learned to have faith in me and that everything will turn out. I also made new friends and slowly start socializing. It took me about 6 month before I started going out. I also found people that do not drink and stay away from people that drink. I started to learn to play tennis, joined a meditation group and a hiking group.
So what do I still need to work on: my relationship. I am still with this guy who abuses me sometimes (mentally) and I am trying to break free. I am getting stronger every day and he is loosing control over me, but I am just not there yet. The good news is, he is recognizing that and started changing his behaviour too. He started to treat me better (still sometimes abuses me mentally), but I learned that I can put my foot down and tell my needs. At the moment I think his abuse and me go hand in hand since I catered to many people and accepted that people can walk ove rme. And he was not the only one, peopel at work also walked over me many times. Now I have more self confidence and also can put down boundaries.
I still have tons of anxiety, to loose my job or be homeless but I am learning to deal with it and start accepting that there is only so much I can do and other things are out of my hand.
Also I had to put 1 cat down and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I still cry sometime due to the pain, however I am sure Tami did not want me to go back to drinking. I am way more there now for my other 3 cats and they need me too. And I feel they love me very much.
So what do I want to do in year2?
The answer is not drink. And I pray every day that I will not pick up a drink ever again. This is my only goal for year 2. and for all of you out there: keep trying, fight it is a fight for getting your life back and you onyl loose it if you give up and return to drinking. As long as there is life in you: fight it. You can be succesful.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep it going.
I struggled for awhile, relapsing for 2 yrs before I finally accepted I couldn't drink again. It is hard. But it can be done.
Congrats on the weight loss & turning your life around.
I hope your relationship heals & your SO will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Thanks for sharing. :day2
Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SASA,

I'm so happy for you! good job!

Love from Lenina
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SASA,

I'm so happy for you! good job!

Love from Lenina
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the year and the weight loss both are huge accomplishments! Way to go!!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

Great post and I really wish you the very best in year 2,Keep up the great work it is well worth it! Only day 17 for me now but I'm very happy to be clean and sober, the world looks alot better to me now that the fog is clearing for me.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome job on the year!!

God bless.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on the weight loss and completing one year!

Sorry about your cat. It sounds like you have grown a lot from your experiences. Thanks for the inspiring post!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year SASA!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That was incredibly inspirational. Congratulations and keep moving forward!

As per your relationship: If someone is not treating you the way that you deserve to be treated, either change it or get out of it. (Most likely the latter). You will never have the relationship you want/deserve if your time & space is filled with something that you are settling for.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations to you SASA! 8
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Awesome!! Good on you!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I could ahve never donw it without SR. I am so grateful to have found such a wonderful place that supports everybody, no matter how bad it gets, there is always SR to turn to! Thank you all.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good Going!!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really happy to read this - congratulations SASA

D
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

way to go- and a powerful share- Experience Strength and hope!! congrats!