SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   3 months sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/249857-3-months-sober.html)

Mainza 02-25-2012 02:04 PM

3 months sober

I don't post much but I read almost daily. Before bed, I usually get very comfortable and read on my smartphone. I want to thank everyone for their excellent contributions to this community. It has helped tremendously. My last drink/blackout was on Thanksgiving. Since then, I have lost about 20 lbs, am running 4 miles, 4 times a week and am feeling much better about myself and wish I had quit earlier. I wasn't a daily drinker but a blackout weekend drinker. I've tried moderating for the past few years and it DOES NOT work. I must keep reminding myself of this. The only way I can protect myself from another blackout is by not taking that first drink. These are all strategies I have learned from this forum. My advice for those who are in the earlier stage:

-any time you are rationalizing to take a drink, it is not you talking but your addiction. Don't listen to it and it will pass. In time, you will begin to be able to recognize this voice and it will become softer and softer.
-waking up in the morning, refreshed and facing the world with a memory is probably the best benefit of being sober. Life is difficult but it is more manageable without alcohol.
-giving up alcohol has allowed me to grow and to work towards a person that I've always wanted to become. Alcohol prevents growth and enables adults to act like children. The word "adult beverage" is misleading.

Today is a perfect day to be sober and I wish you all the best!

Dee74 02-25-2012 02:11 PM

congratulations Mainza :)

D

Impurrfect 02-25-2012 02:17 PM

(((Mainza))) - congratulations on 3 months!!! Funny, I never thought about the term "adult beverage" but you are right on spot.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Purplecatlover 02-25-2012 02:23 PM

Way to go! You are very right about it all!
Alcohol keeps you from growing.
You should post more, sharing your revelations & triumphs helps alot of people!
We need more success stories like yours!

CaiHong 02-25-2012 02:47 PM

Hi Maina and congrats on the 3 months,

You are doing well.

I totally agree with Purplecat, I was thinking the other day people who post their experiences early in recovery give invaluable insight to newcomers.

Even though I am only 9 months sober I am am starting to forget the early days.

CaiHong

neferkamichael 02-25-2012 02:50 PM

Marvelous Mainza, you are FANTASTIC!!!

:fireworks2

sober4metoday 02-25-2012 02:52 PM

Congratulations Mainza! Thanks for sharing!:scoregood

Hevyn 02-25-2012 03:03 PM

Great job on your 3 sober months! We know how hard you worked to get there. It'll just keep getting better. :)

Healthyfood 02-25-2012 03:14 PM

Mainza

Congratulations on 3 months!!! :)

Orbea 02-25-2012 03:29 PM

Woot woot! :banana dance:

eJoshua 02-25-2012 04:57 PM

Congratulations! You ought to be very proud of yourself.

NewBeginning010 02-25-2012 05:07 PM

Awesome! :ring

Mainza 02-25-2012 05:22 PM

Thank you everyone!

Sapling 02-25-2012 05:26 PM

Congrats on three months...That's a big one to get to. Nice job!