Notices

random cry at work?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberliner

random cry at work?

Just curious if this has ever happened to anyone. Been going threw a transition phase trying to get intouch with the real me. Work on an assembly line at GM. We listen to the radio during work and a song came on that reminded me of my bigest mistake in my past. I almost had a panic attack in front of everyone. I have a phobia of crying in front of anyone. That would of been a shocker to the brain if I had a random cry like that...
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

You aren't alone!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Not abnormal at all! lol I had a breakdown the other day and I often experience panic attacks when I think of things that I've done in the past. Some of them make me want to go bury my head in a hole and disappear for a while. When I start feeling that way I just tell myself that I will never allow anything like that to happen again. I can't change the past but I can change the future! That makes me better.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Soberliner

Thanks for the replys. Just curious what my coworkers would of thought or did, seeing me have a random cry. Wasn't really a panic attack, I was pretty close to tears. Just did my best to focus on something else while the song was still on. Also woundering if i did cry, would it been good for recovery to have just let the cry happen, idk, lol
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oops
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really nobody's business. We are all facing giants.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's great to cry in recovery...You won't have to pee so much.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Doesn't everyone that works on the line feel like crying, especially at the start of first shift Monday morning. Just kidding

High emotions are quite common. When I was in my early days of sobriety I cried in front of my grownup kids for probably the first time ever.
One of my boys said OMG he is human but they have come to realize once again that that is not the case.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Emotions are crazy in the beginning. I cried an entire day on day 8.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It happened to me - and I'm an Aussie male

D
Old 02-25-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a known crier. Yes at work. Restaurants. Driving. Walking. Anywhere really. Not all the time but enough. Once people get used to the random tears, they know it's not a big deal. But it sure is annoying when the tears come when I don't want them to!!!! I've always been pretty intensely emotional.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I don't know about you but I'm an ugly crier. Have been since I was a baby (according to my mom - who says that by the way? moms aren't supposed to admit that to their kids...ever. geesh). So, I try to cry in private when at all possible. As soon as I feel it coming on I go to the bathroom. And then right before I leave the bathroom I'll fake a sneezing attack just in case anyone is standing around.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just tell them your thinking about the Volt. hahaha.

Normal buddy, as those above have said. You sure sound human to me...

Chevy Volt - Building A Better Tomorrow - YouTube
Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sobeliner
I do believe crying is part of my healing and recovery.

I wish it was more socially acceptable like blowing your nose, although I think there is a case for that being done in private.
When I cry I don't need comforting but people feel thay have to do something.

This morning I had a little cry and welcomed the tears as releasing something inside, chipping away.

I can get the same reaction as in seeing someone yawn, I yawn. I see someone cry, I cry.

CaiHong
Old 02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Years ago i was reading The Brothers Karamazov . In an early scene something happens to one of the towns leading Big Guys and he spends all day in the town square crying his eyes out because ...he...was....sad! I was so jealous of those times and that setting...

In recovery i learned i need not be ashamed of my emotions - and that crying because i am sad or happy or in pain ,well,- that is What Humans Do! I came into recovery [and i do AA and NA-] pretty much only allowing myself emotions at the "angry, self pity" end of the spectrum . My sponsor taught me that to become a complete human being, it was time to access the rest of my emotions

it was still unnerving- going into a storage area and finding , say, old wedding announcements - and just sitting down for a 'good cry' . Or even the joy of listening to classical music [not a very familiar activity] and being overwhelmed by it..

yeah- i even [finally] felt safe crying at my home group's meeting.

Not so sure about pubic tears yet- i do remember Couger and i drinking in a bar - me describing my divorce and then telling him that when i tried to talk to my 6 yr old son about it , he said" daddy - it hurts so so much i just cant talk about it" Couger - all 6'-4" 250 lb biker of him, completely burst into loud sobs. me too. In less than a minute , that bar was empty! we had run , like 30 ppl out!!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Now that I think about it I can't wait to cry over something that doesn't revolve around alcohol! It's always been feeling sorry for myself, feeling guilty, embarrassed, begging for forgiveness,etc etc. My crying over the last 20 years has been so self serving it ain't funny!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am a tearjerker...always have been...and when I see advertising for products for dry eyes...I think I wish

Hope your day has gotten better.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had never been a frequent crier, but I have cried at least once a day during my 112 days of sobriety. At work if I feel one coming on I'll just head out to the restroom, or hide in a back room.

My reason for crying is a combination of still feeling bad/guilty about the things I did and said while drinking, and the childhood emotional trauma I uncovered in therapy. Keeping down my childhood pain was most likely the cause of my alcohol problem to begin with. Now I'm letting all that out.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Soberliner

All out crying for me is also ugly sound. I think I'll let it go next time it happens at work. Their just tears, When I'm done with the tears, I know I'm not that person in my addiction anymore. I'll have to smile like I won the lottery. Thanks Everyone
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If anyone asks you why you are crying....Tell them it's because you are happy...That get's them every time...And maybe you are happy....I like crying when I'm happy too.